New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hawaii National Parks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 am 
Centenarian

Having been to all the main islands (except Lanai) and visited BOTH the bona fide National Parks in Hawaii as well as several NHP/NHS's, I was incensed at the 2nd Category National Parks question: "How many National Parks are in the state of Hawaii?". NTN totally FUBAR'd that question, claiming there are EIGHT National Parks. Several googled sites appear to confirm this, including http://www.gotohawaii.com and usparks.about.com. Note that these are commercial tourist websites and not U.S. Department of Interior sites. The National Park Service website http://www.nps,gov adds confusion, stating 7 'national parks', but listing 8 locations. 'National Park' is a very specific term, designated by Congress. National Monuments, National Memorials, National Battlefields, National Historic Sites, et al are NOT National Parks. The two 'real' National Parks are:

Hawaii Volcanoes NP, Hawaii, HI
Haleakela NP, Maui, HI

The other 'parks' listed include:
Pu`uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, Hawaii, HI
Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site, Hawaii, HI
Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, Hawaii, HI
Kalaupapa National Historic Site, Molokai, HI (NHPark per NPS)
Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail, Hawaii, HI
World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. Oahu. HI (Was USS Arizona National Memorial)

'gotohawaii' adds Waimea Canyon STATE Park to make eight.

The answer is TWO!!!

B (bummed out)

Post subject: Re: Hawaii National Parks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

blumax wrote:
The answer is TWO!!!

B (bummed out)

THANK YOU!!! We tanked this one, too, and our go-to guy on this was saying pretty much the same thing you did at the time. It's nice to know that we were not alone on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

blumax wrote:
Having been to all the main islands (except Lanai) and visited BOTH the bona fide National Parks in Hawaii as well as several NHP/NHS's, I was incensed at the 2nd Category National Parks question: "How many National Parks are in the state of Hawaii?". NTN totally FUBAR'd that question, claiming there are EIGHT National Parks. Several googled sites appear to confirm this, including http://www.gotohawaii.com and usparks.about.com. Note that these are commercial tourist websites and not U.S. Department of Interior sites. The National Park Service website http://www.nps,gov adds confusion, stating 7 'national parks', but listing 8 locations. 'National Park' is a very specific term, designated by Congress. National Monuments, National Memorials, National Battlefields, National Historic Sites, et al are NOT National Parks. The two 'real' National Parks are:

Hawaii Volcanoes NP, Hawaii, HI
Haleakela NP, Maui, HI

The other 'parks' listed include:
Pu`uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, Hawaii, HI
Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site, Hawaii, HI
Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, Hawaii, HI
Kalaupapa National Historic Site, Molokai, HI (NHPark per NPS)
Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail, Hawaii, HI
World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. Oahu. HI (Was USS Arizona National Memorial)

'gotohawaii' adds Waimea Canyon STATE Park to make eight.

The answer is TWO!!!

B (bummed out)

I even said there are only two National Parks in the state (since I have been to six of the eight primary islands) and was outragged. We answered the "correct" answer because 8 was closer to 2 than any other answer on the board. Makes me wonder where they get their research from...

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:28 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

teverett wrote:
I even said there are only two National Parks in the state (since I have been to six of the eight primary islands) and was outragged....

Well since it was about Hawaii you were probably outrigged.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:39 pm 
Centenarian

ERIC wrote:
We also had the same argument. We however went with the correct answer by "Buzztimes Standards"

I knew there were several other NPS entities, but, using the rule it's never the highest or lowest, I sent the team to TEN, which could have been right if the USS Arizona National Memorial and a couple of National Wildlife Refuges (Interior, but not NPS) were counted. When TEN was eliminated, I sent everyone to the next higher (TWELVE) instead of the next lower. Se la guerre.

B

Last edited by blumax on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:55 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Remember: it's not nearly as important to put in the correct answer; you want to get the same answer NTN thinks it is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:55 pm 
Centenarian

I don't play Showdown any more, but maybe this could be posted in the incorrect questions forum where it might be noticed by Buzztime.