New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Buzztime's Smartest Bar promotion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:30 pm 
Centenarian

pengwn wrote:
Here's what I've got for the results, based on tonight's Top 20 and expecting one drop score. A lot of this was done in my head, so I will hope I made no egregious errors

Also included are tonight's score from a mildly blurry cell phone pic (ovalish digits may be wrong), and the boost it gave that location from last week's BT rankings

1. Mezzanine - 244,483 (61491, +4324)
2. Danny K's - 238,874 (60539, +3258)
3. West Park Stn.- 236,709 (61237, +5586)
4. Steel Pit - 235,098 (60229, +6527, up from 5th)
5. DeMori's - 234,769 (56820, +7729, up from 6th)
6. Teaser's - 233,386 (58950, +7772, up from 8th)
7*. Rembrandt's - 230,790 (Tanked, +0, down from 4th)
8*. Heroes - 230,368 (62078, +8178, was 9th)
9*. BWW Creve Coeur - 229,211 (58915, +10234, up from 14th)

Blue Goose did not show in the top 20, so I can only guess where they ended up. Assuming no reporting issues involving a score higher than BWW Ames' 56266, they finished somewhere between 7th (231,686) and 11th (226,286). Also, BWW Kent could have placed as high as 10th

However, I should mention that IF either Blue Goose or BWW Kent did not report on time, AND they scored a perfect 66K or nearly so, they could vault as high as 2nd. Stumble Inn, Stained Glass, Scooter's and Hard Times could mathematically have reached 3rd by the same scenario

Conclusion: Congratulations to Mezzanine and all their fine folks! Pengwn sez you are The Smartest Bar 8-)

We finished 28th, with a top five average of 53,590. Buzztime lists us as 10th, but I don't know whether that reflects the drop.

And, considering that we had four boxes die during the game, and about an equal number that don't work at all (out of 20), we don't feel at all bad about our finish.

--Rick Magnus (RickM, Blue Goose)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:19 am 
Nonagenarian

Presumptuously speaking on behalf of the Steel Pit, congratulations to Mezzanine Lounge, Danny Ks Cafe and Billiards, and West Park Station! Speaking on behalf of myself, the very close team margins throughout made this an unusually thrilling tournament to watch and handicap along the way, let alone participate in.

The Steel Pit thanks you for the lesson. We very much look forward to the next time we meet in battle for swag.

TFM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:55 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
Hard Times could mathematically have reached 3rd by the same scenario

No, we at Hardtimes didn't have that great a game on Wed. We had about a 55k, that might have moved us up a bit but not to 3rd.

Congrats to Mezz, Danny Ks and West Park, hope they along with Heroes continues on for the last 2 weeks of the Whales SIX bracket tourney. I understand West Park will play on, Mezz and Danny Ks always play on Wed so they will be in. Not sure about Henry & co in Doodah.

Nice promotion Buzztime, hope you run it again next year.
The semi final trophies were great!
For those that haven't seen the trophies... they are BEER. Our 3rd place was a pint glass on a marble base with the Smartest Bar logo on it filled with fake beer complete with head. It's made of some realistic beer looking resin. The 2nd place trophy was a bigger glass of beer, maybe a 24 oz.

Haven't seen the 1st place trophy. What was it, a pitcher of beer?

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:56 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Torquemada wrote:
Presumptuously speaking on behalf of the Steel Pit, congratulations to Mezzanine Lounge, Danny Ks Cafe and Billiards, and West Park Station! Speaking on behalf of myself, the very close team margins throughout made this an unusually thrilling tournament to watch and handicap along the way, let alone participate in.

The Steel Pit thanks you for the lesson. We very much look forward to the next time we meet in battle for swag.

TFM

i wholeheartedly agree. this tournament was a thrill to be a part. we were very happy to celebrate our third place finish. the top two teams deserved their finish. kudos to buzztime for this tournament.

before the finals started there was a cloud over this tournament about rochester mills. i don't know how it got resolved, but after the scores the first week it was clear that issue was resolved. that left everybody to compete fairly and enjoy this tournament. our team enjoyed it a lot. so much so that we are now considering becoming a wednesday six team.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

IDJIT5500 wrote:
Torquemada wrote:

TFM

i wholeheartedly agree. this tournament was a thrill to be a part. we were very happy to celebrate our third place finish. the top two teams deserved their finish. kudos to buzztime for this tournament.

before the finals started there was a cloud over this tournament about rochester mills. i don't know how it got resolved, but after the scores the first week it was clear that issue was resolved. that left everybody to compete fairly and enjoy this tournament. our team enjoyed it a lot. so much so that we are now considering becoming a wednesday six team.

Right, not sure how BT took Rochester Mills out but they didn't play the 1st 2 weeks giving them no chance of winning.
I read on FB that BT was sending the players emails warning them. Maybe BT went further and shut off the system, I saw that Rochester Mills had no scores for about 10 days or so around that 1st week of Nov.

Who knows what happened??

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Right, not sure how BT took Rochester Mills out but they didn't play the 1st 2 weeks giving them no chance of winning.
I read on FB that BT was sending the players emails warning them. Maybe BT went further and shut off the system, I saw that Rochester Mills had no scores for about 10 days or so around that 1st week of Nov.

Who knows what happened??

BT did something else to help stop the shenanigans. I will not post it publicly, but it was actually a very slick idea..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

BUD wrote:
pengwn wrote:
Hard Times could mathematically have reached 3rd by the same scenario

No, we at Hardtimes didn't have that great a game on Wed. We had about a 55k, that might have moved us up a bit but not to 3rd.

Congrats to Mezz, Danny Ks and West Park, hope they along with Heroes continues on for the last 2 weeks of the Whales SIX bracket tourney. I understand West Park will play on, Mezz and Danny Ks always play on Wed so they will be in. Not sure about Henry & co in Doodah.

Nice promotion Buzztime, hope you run it again next year.
The semi final trophies were great!
For those that haven't seen the trophies... they are BEER. Our 3rd place was a pint glass on a marble base with the Smartest Bar logo on it filled with fake beer complete with head. It's made of some realistic beer looking resin. The 2nd place trophy was a bigger glass of beer, maybe a 24 oz.

Haven't seen the 1st place trophy. What was it, a pitcher of beer?

You would've needed a near-perfect score, and most everybody else ahead of you to do badly to make 3rd. Mathematically possible, much like my chances of landing a date with any given girl ;)

First place during the semi-finals was also a beer glass trophy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks Penguin..yeah we knew a really great game like we've had in the past would work....but no... we flubbed a few.

About that 1st place beer glass trophy, what size glass would you say? Just trying to get an idea of it.
3rd was a pint glass, 2nd a taller 24 oz the standard thin at bottom wide on top.

What size was 1st?

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:49 pm 
Nonagenarian

The Park Bar's September first place trophy was the same size as the Steel Pit's June second place trophy, except that the first also came with a round medallion that was to be affixed upright on the foam on the top of the "beer". I have a photo somewhere that TROD took of it, and will post if I can locate it.

TFM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 am 
Ending Symphony

Thanks for the congrats everyone! SIX is our favorite game at the Mezz and we were quite happy to win over the stiff competition provided by some very excellent bars. In addition to the usual gang, BrandyB and Clavin and DOC were nice enough to come over and assist on the win as well.

Bobby, I'd be interested to hear what BT did to address the Rochester Mills shenanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The big celebration NERD party for the Smartest Bar winner will be this Sat. night it seems.

I was just reading an online article about the party at the Mezz this Sat. night. Guess we'll see some playback scores out of there.

Have a good time and spend BT's money wisely.

The article >>>>> http://www.chron.com/life/hoffman/artic ... 613301.php

Which reads >>>>> Do you ever play those computerized, hand-held, multiple-choice trivia games in a bar or restaurant?

I never actually play. I just like to yell out answers and spoil the fun for everybody.

Last summer, the Buzztime network, which links 3,900 bars around the country in trivia games, held a "Smartest Bar in America" contest. Teams competed over three months, with the top 80 teams advancing to the finals in November.

And the Smartest Bar in America is …

The Mezzanine Lounge, 2200 Southwest Freeway, Houston. It's the bar next to Kinko's at the Shepherd/Greenbriar exit. There will be a big party Saturday night, with a trophy presentation and hats 'n' horns, to celebrate the victory.

I'm calling this a nerd party but only because I'm a little hurt they didn't ask me to join the team. I eat up Buzztime.

Second place went to Danny K's Café and Billiards in Orange, Calif. The show horse was West Park Station in Cleveland.

Today's trivia..TheToday show celebrated its 60th anniversary last week. It is the fourth-longest-running show currently on TV. Can you name the three shows that have been on longer than Today?

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm 
Centenarian

BUD wrote:

Today's trivia..TheToday show celebrated its 60th anniversary last week. It is the fourth-longest-running show currently on TV. Can you name the three shows that have been on longer than Today?

I believe that "Meet the Press" is one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

RickM wrote:
BUD wrote:

I believe that "Meet the Press" is one.

I will guess "Hallmark Hall of Fame" might be one. I think I have been watching it all my life.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:45 pm 
Centenarian

Here is our Smartest Bar team, minus Doc.

Attachments:
Trophy1.jpg
Trophy1.jpg [ 239.24 KiB | Viewed 1480 times ]
Trophy2.jpg
Trophy2.jpg [ 67.81 KiB | Viewed 1480 times ]
Trophy4.jpg
Trophy4.jpg [ 44.64 KiB | Viewed 1480 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

How many people who had nothing to do with the win showed up for the free nosh?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Nerd party :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:26 pm 
Centenarian

They gave us each a $60 bar tab on a reuseable card. The people there seemed more interested in the karaoke :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

At the risk of jeopardizing their status in various witness relocation programs, how about giving us a list of who's who in the photo, B...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm 
Centenarian

Conn (Hunter, Marley), Eric (Dabish, Bishop), Ed (Rackem), Mike (Slotek, Dr Evl) holding the trophy, Me, Brad (Minime, Clavin) and Dave (Dmob) hiding in the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Brandyb wrote:
Conn (Hunter, Marley), Eric (Dabish, Bishop), Ed (Rackem), Mike (Slotek, Dr Evl) holding the trophy, Me, Brad (Minime, Clavin) and Dave (Dmob) hiding in the back.

Congrats. Tell Hunter Scar says hi.

He joined FSHMAN and I for a memorable night at the old Fridays in Louisville a few years back. Boy, I was hurting the next morning.

Post subject: We were doing pretty well until...
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

We were doing pretty well at the Buffalo Wild Wings in St. Matthews, until the Monday night when the University of Louisville Cardinals were playing for the NCAA Basketball Championship. Even if our trivia team wanted them to, there was no way they were going to put trivia on any of their TV's that night. So our trivia team registered a big fat zero, but the Cards won. I guess I'll take that, since I've been waiting 27 years to see the Cards cut the nets down after the last time they did in 1986. :D

Post subject: Re: We were doing pretty well until...
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
We were doing pretty well at the Buffalo Wild Wings in St. Matthews, until the Monday night when the University of Louisville Cardinals were playing for the NCAA Basketball Championship. Even if our trivia team wanted them to, there was no way they were going to put trivia on any of their TV's that night. So our trivia team registered a big fat zero, but the Cards won. I guess I'll take that, since I've been waiting 27 years to see the Cards cut the nets down after the last time they did in 1986. :D

You're in luck Cloudy, this tourney has a drop score, best 4 out of 5 scores. So the 0 didn't hurt you.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

good luck to all the teams who qualified for the finals starting tonight. our team is looking forward to the challenge.

with no drops there is no margin for glitches, so i hope nobody has any problems with their site. it would be nice if the finals go off without any problems at buzztime's end.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Current Vegas lines:
-185 that it is the same game as the last two tournaments.
+170 buy back

Game errors to include spelling, factual, just plain wrong answers, and multiple correct answers.

<1 +3750
1<3.5+250
3.5<5.5 -110
5.5<. -325

Game being new with no mistakes from previous categories:

+12000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:08 pm 
Hitter's Number

lewser wrote:
Current Vegas lines:
-185 that it is the same game as the last two tournaments.
+170 buy back

Game errors to include spelling, factual, just plain wrong answers, and multiple correct answers.

<1 +3750
1<3.5+250
3.5<5.5 -110
5.5<. -325

Game being new with no mistakes from previous categories:

+12000

You precalled it!
https://www.facebook.com/buzztime/posts/10151822947543377

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next