New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Six 3/1/2012
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

There was a bit of ambiguity in Six last night. In the Marathon Round, they asked for the MVP of the 1976 Superbowl. The choices were Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, and Terry Bradshaw. The clue was "Pittsburgh." Gee, thanks for the help.

In the last round they asked (paraphrasing) "The title character of the opera Aida was a ____." I've never seen the opera but knew it was about a slave girl so I precalled "slave" which was one of the choices. Well it turns out it's about an Ethiopian princess who is enslaved and the answer they were looking for was "Ethiopian princess."

Post subject: Re: Six 3/1/2012
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Yes, saw both of those. I went 1 for 2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 pm 
Octogenarian

Bonzo wrote:
There was a bit of ambiguity in Six last night. In the Marathon Round, they asked for the MVP of the 1976 Superbowl. The choices were Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, and Terry Bradshaw. The clue was "Pittsburgh." Gee, thanks for the help.

In the last round they asked (paraphrasing) "The title character of the opera Aida was a ____." I've never seen the opera but knew it was about a slave girl so I precalled "slave" which was one of the choices. Well it turns out it's about an Ethiopian princess who is enslaved and the answer they were looking for was "Ethiopian princess."

There was also the question about the team Gary Carter played for (besides Expos/Mets/Giants). The choices were:

Dodgers
Brewers
Brewers
Padres

Fortunately, "Brewers" wasn't the right answer!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Congrats, by the way, to West Park Station for the win in the East. Given the handles for the players at the Black Angus in the West and its Burbank location, is it safe to assume these were the same people who posted the protest perfect score in Showdown? If so, West Park's score should be considered the top national score, period.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

scannon wrote:
Bonzo wrote:

There was also the question about the team Gary Carter played for (besides Expos/Mets/Giants). The choices were:

Dodgers
Brewers
Brewers
Padres

Fortunately, "Brewers" wasn't the right answer!

I could almost say with certainty that the 4 choices we got were different on the Carter question.

Since Brewers was wrong, maybe the "mixing up the wrong answers on different numbers" anticheating methodology introduced a new error of duplicating the wrong answer in that process.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

scar wrote:

the "mixing up the wrong answers on different numbers" anticheating methodology

I still don't understand this idea. Can anyone explain how this is an anticheating strategy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Akbar71 wrote:
scar wrote:

I still don't understand this idea. Can anyone explain how this is an anticheating strategy?

By mixing up the sequence of all the answers, you can't just write down the number of the correct answer.

Then, I guess they figure different distractors have some anticheating component, so I don't understand that either, unless people are on the phone with the west live going "well, i remember it wasn't Roman numeral 46" or something.

I don't get it either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 pm 
Nonagenarian

scar wrote:
Akbar71 wrote:
scar wrote:

By mixing up the sequence of all the answers, you can't just write down the number of the correct answer.

Then, I guess they figure different distractors have some anticheating component, so I don't understand that either, unless people are on the phone with the west live going "well, i remember it wasn't Roman numeral 46" or something.

I don't get it either.

Ever noticed that problem they sometimes seem to have when they apparently recycle a Countdown question with five choices into a game format with fewer choices? When sometimes the comment refers to a choice that wasn't there, sometimes the wrong answer gets identified as correct, etc.? Combining that same continual editing flaw with the ineffectual anti-cheating strategy of changing choice placement within a question could explain the phenomena being observed.

TFM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

ANON wrote:
Congrats, by the way, to West Park Station for the win in the East. Given the handles for the players at the Black Angus in the West and its Burbank location, is it safe to assume these were the same people who posted the protest perfect score in Showdown? If so, West Park's score should be considered the top national score, period.

thanks, anon. we were fortunate with the aida question. one of us called slave and one of us called ethiopian princess. the first removed answer was slave so we were able to switch those boxes to ethiopian princess right away.