New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Six East 4/5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:32 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to Megumi (Bill) and Runyons for #1 individual and bar rankings last night.
Kendo (Ken), Arthur, Jorge (L Pato), Andrew (Glaze), Richard (TPG), Eric (ERP) and I join with regular Hooter's player Travis at Hooter's Tallahassee for the opening night of Smartest Hooters in America. Watching the first day of the Masters and opening night baseball inspires us to get off to a good start which we do, nearly perfect until we hit the second round geography question in the Marathon Round. We don't recognize the Pacific Island asked for and the clue is of no help. There goes our 2000 points bonus and we sit up and get serious. We hit another pothole on the last Sports question in the Marathon Round picking Pinochle for which game has bids, widows, spinners, etc. Almost too late we realize the clue Bones means Dominoes for 100 points or fewer. Too often we derail a huge game in the final round and we possibly misread the Sports Question. L Pato says Bangers is a nickname he recognizes for a Cricket player but the answer Little Master appears to apply to a Cricket Video Game. There goes 6000 points and 4000 points bonus for L Pato and I. We finish ranked #3 nationally but could have posted at least a 60K bar score but that's why they play the game.

We have a comfortable 22,000 points lead in the White League and applaud Maryland Heights and Fairview Heights, our two previous finals opponents, for finishing right behind us at #4 and #5 respectively. They lead the orange league and establish it's going to be an interesting May.

See you in the rankings next week.

Post subject: Re: Six East 4/5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hunk wrote:
Too often we derail a huge game in the final round and we possibly misread the Sports Question.

The inability of the Six writer to come up with a quality sports question that isn't a complete layup or ridiculously arcane (assuming you ever actually see a sports question and not "games" crap) is why I reduced sports/games to a 2000 point question every time I used to play Six.
It only takes so many 1916 George Smith questions for me to learn my lesson.
Garner wisdom from my pain, grasshopper... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:54 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

spotes wrote:
Hunk wrote:
Too often we derail a huge game in the final round and we possibly misread the Sports Question.

The inability of the Six writer to come up with a quality sports question that isn't a complete layup or ridiculously arcane (assuming you ever actually see a sports question and not "games" crap) is why I reduced sports/games to a 2000 point question every time I used to play Six.

I have yet to learn this lesson as my 6K is always Sports / Games...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
spotes wrote:

I have yet to learn this lesson as my 6K is always Sports / Games...

Usually I choose 3k for The Games. But if I'm at the Mill and Tim is there, I will probably make The Games 5k. We may get a 1916 George Smith question, but usually we get a question that someone knows the answer to.