New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Six East 5/7
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

We're playing at Varsity Bar and Grill in Tallahassee this competition this month. Congratulations to Teaser's, West Park Station, and the usual suspects as the Smartest Bar did go off on Monday as planned as strange as it seemed. I hope Buzztime doesn't have the same problem posting scores they did with Sports IQ when it moved to Monday.
Not knowing how we ranked nationally or in our regions all I can say is our bar score of 50K isn't going on the resume. Three questions did us in. The top 40 hits in the Arts category of the second matching round were Greek to us. I knew Florida did "Wild Ones" but apparently hadn't listened to Hot 104.9 or watched VH1's Top 20 Countdown enough to get the rest. There goes 2,000 bonus points and at least 1,000 regular points. We enter the final round with all boxes at 37K and aspirations of a 62K bar score. Craig (Merkin) and Jim (Raoul) both offer Silver Dollar in the Past category when I'm more comfortable with the copper penny. I go with the crowd and we tank 4,000 bonus points in addition to our wagers. The very last Arts category stumped us as we went with Norwegian culture influencing Van Gogh instead of Japanese which was correct.

Our score was about the same as the first week of Smartest Hooter's in America so hopefully we catch the same fire here we did at Hooter's.

Post subject: Re: Six East 5/7
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

That R&B/rap-crap match was easily our biggest hurdle at Rembrandts. Only LO (the oldest player!) managed to wag all 4. She went on to score a personal best 64,997, which she was quite happy about

I'm the resident coin expert, but needed to see the answer choices before remembering the 1793 chain cent was the first official issue of the US Mint. Silver and gold coins didn't come along until the following year, thanks to the prohibitively high $10,000 bonds initially imposed on the first mint officers. (A 1794 small eagle dollar could buy you a nice sports car or even a house today)

GODOT was our star player last night. He called Japanese right away on the Van Gogh question, saved us a few hundred points reminding us Ty Cobb was a batting champion in the AL, not the NL, and provided a few other key answers my feeble short-term memory has failed to retain

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Flo Rida, not Florida :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

nice start rembrandt's. that is a great score to start with. we managed the right guess on the song to artist match, but we did not do the same for the nicholas sparks characters. the ron hextall question cost us points. we have several hockey fans in the group, but they were all thinking of somebody else and we had to switch to chelios at the end. wonk knew the van gogh question, but we played it safe and split at the end.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I'm the resident coin expert, but needed to see the answer choices before remembering the 1793 chain cent was the first official issue of the US Mint. Silver and gold coins didn't come along until the following year, thanks to the prohibitively high $10,000 bonds initially imposed on the first mint officers. (A 1794 small eagle dollar could buy you a nice sports car or even a house today)

There were no U.S. gold coins minted by the federal government until 1849. The first coin, the cent, was in 1793, and the following year the first silver dollar.
XT

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:36 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I'm confused. We played Six tonight and didn't see those questions.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:41 pm 
Himself Fodder

ranger wrote:

Obviously your site isn't connected properly and you got a stored game from the past.

Or it's something totally different.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
ranger wrote:

Obviously your site isn't connected properly and you got a stored game from the past.

Or, the question was from the idiots at Buzztime's SIX game on Monday..

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 pm 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
-BO- wrote:
ranger wrote:

Or.....

Oh man, when somebody posts something like this, you can't just give a straight answer. The poster deserves to be messed with.

Way to ruin the fun, having a baby has made you a big stick in the mud.

BO

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

xtrain wrote:

There were no U.S. gold coins minted by the federal government until 1849. The first coin, the cent, was in 1793, and the following year the first silver dollar.
XT

1849 is the year the first gold dollar and double eagle were minted, but my Red Book shows the $5 and $10 were first produced in 1795, and the quarter eagle the following year (so I was wrong in implying gold coins came along in 1794)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

lewser wrote:
-BO- wrote:
ranger wrote:

Or, the question was from the idiots at Buzztime's SIX game on Monday..

Good point. Thanks Lewser.