New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smartest Bar (Six) 5/21
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to Lajeci and Holly West for their #1 individual and bar rankings last night.

After a rousing #4 Sports IQ warmup ranking, Matt (Zippy), Arthur as himself, Ken (Kendo), Craig (Our Merkin), Eric (Slam) and Kim (Scots) are ready to chase down McHale's on Main in Rock Hill, SC for the top spot in the EST4 rankings.
Arthur is celebrating Victoria Day by making a rare Monday appearance. In the matching round we butcher the soccer players being matched to their team (an impossible question even for Sports IQ) and matching the Voice singer with their coach. I was walking through the room last Monday as the wife was watching the Final Four but couldn't help last night.
In the Marathon Round we were slow on getting to Ethiopia on one question and breezed through the Final Questions (Martin Brodeur has always been with the Devils so he must have started his career with them). We rank #12 in a challenging well-written game and move up from #3 to #2 in Region EST4.

See you next week for the Finals.

Post subject: Re: Smartest Bar (Six) 5/21
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

The game went much the same at Rembrandts. We had no fricken clue on either the MLS player-to-team match, or The Voice match. If it had been European club football, say Wayne Rooney to Man. United, we would've had a good chance. The Kush empire I figured might have been in the same general area as the Hindu Kush, so I put most of the team on Iran until the Africa clue came up

Well done to Holly West, for winning by a clear length over a closely-bunched field

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:23 pm 
Centenarian

Hunk wrote:
Congratulations to Lajeci and Holly West for their #1 individual and bar rankings last night.

After a rousing #4 Sports IQ warmup ranking, Matt (Zippy), Arthur as himself, Ken (Kendo), Craig (Our Merkin), Eric (Slam) and Kim (Scots) are ready to chase down McHale's on Main in Rock Hill, SC for the top spot in the EST4 rankings.
Arthur is celebrating Victoria Day by making a rare Monday appearance. In the matching round we butcher the soccer players being matched to their team (an impossible question even for Sports IQ) and matching the Voice singer with their coach. I was walking through the room last Monday as the wife was watching the Final Four but couldn't help last night.
In the Marathon Round we were slow on getting to Ethiopia on one question and breezed through the Final Questions (Martin Brodeur has always been with the Devils so he must have started his career with them). We rank #12 in a challenging well-written game and move up from #3 to #2 in Region EST4.

See you next week for the Finals.

Spotes managed to just go screw-it-Im-going-straight-across strategy on the soccer and it worked! unfortunately we knew even less about The Voice. so no dumb luck for the SIQ-ness in us :)

gavv

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I also went straight across on the soccer question. At that point we still had a perfect matching round going, so I needed to go for it rather than take the guaranteed 250. I also fumbled the Kush question for the same reason that pengwn did. Overall, Sliders of Plantsville was 7th nationally; a great accomplishment from our motley crew. :)

We definitely look forward to Memorial Day.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:47 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

pengwn wrote:
The game went much the same at Rembrandts. We had no fricken clue on either the MLS player-to-team match, or The Voice match. If it had been European club football, say Wayne Rooney to Man. United, we would've had a good chance. The Kush empire I figured might have been in the same general area as the Hindu Kush, so I put most of the team on Iran until the Africa clue came up

Well done to Holly West, for winning by a clear length over a closely-bunched field

What was the Voice match? One of the final four was a college classmate of mine. Would be cool if he had a shoutout on Buzztime Six Matching.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
What was the Voice match? One of the final four was a college classmate of mine. Would be cool if he had a shoutout on Buzztime Six Matching.

Apparently, the has-beens get to select some never-was for their "teams" on The Voice.
Our task was two-fold:
1. match the has-been to his/her selected never-was
2. feign interest in this question

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:30 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Normally, I think I catch enough MLS news that I'd be able to match the player with the team...but I think STATS and I went 0-fer on this one...maybe got one right. As for The Voice matching...I only knew one definitely thanks to following Blake on Twitter...others were guesses.

Hunk wrote:
In the matching round we butcher the soccer players being matched to their team (an impossible question even for Sports IQ) and matching the Voice singer with their coach. I was walking through the room last Monday as the wife was watching the Final Four but couldn't help last night.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:10 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I just received my weekly "How Did Your Bar Rank?" from BT re: the game. Here's what it said:

"You scored 13232 points to help Mikes Place get a Location Rank of 2 in the Smartest six CST4 region!"

First of all, I scored considerably above 13232, so I have no idea where that number came from. Second, Mike's Place (soon to be J.B.'s Pub) was first in our region. (We are still behind Mezzanine in the overall rankings, but perhaps fueled by our knowing "The Voice" teams/singers, we got by Mezz this week.)

If I were BT and I was going to the trouble of generating emails for Smartest Bar participants, I'd think I'd make some effort to make sure they bore some semblance of accuracy.

Brooke/AARDVK

Brooke/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:49 pm 
Ending Symphony

AARDVK wrote:
(We are still behind Mezzanine in the overall rankings, but perhaps fueled by our knowing "The Voice" teams/singers, we got by Mezz this week.)
Brooke/

That's what did it Brooke; we were clueless. I think I had one box get one right and the other get zero. Dave took the collar as well. I think Conn and Eric lucked into 2/4.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 am 
Ending Symphony

AARDVK wrote:
I just received my weekly "How Did Your Bar Rank?" from BT re: the game. Here's what it said:

"You scored 13232 points to help Mikes Place get a Location Rank of 2 in the Smartest six CST4 region!"

First of all, I scored considerably above 13232, so I have no idea where that number came from. Second, Mike's Place (soon to be J.B.'s Pub) was first in our region. (We are still behind Mezzanine in the overall rankings, but perhaps fueled by our knowing "The Voice" teams/singers, we got by Mezz this week.)

If I were BT and I was going to the trouble of generating emails for Smartest Bar participants, I'd think I'd make some effort to make sure they bore some semblance of accuracy.

Brooke/AARDVK

Brooke/

Brooke,

As I mentioned on the FB message you posted, it appears that score is from a CD game on Wednesday. The one in my email was from the 9pm CDT game, and yours was the 9:30 pm game. These were our last games of the evening respectively. It's nonsensical to use these scores of course, but that's where the numbers came from.

MKR