New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thursday Six May 31 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:18 am 
Centenarian

A few fine errors in this game. In the matching six segment, the soccer starts/countries included both Ronaldino and Pele, both from Brazil. No problem, the Buzzies, helpfully included Brazil *twice* on the selection list. Of course, we missed the correct order for this, apparently matching the wrong Brazil with the wrong player, poof goes 1000 points.

Not to be outdone, the History question in Final Six was roughly "what state did Willheim II govern from 1786 to 1797?" Both Brandenburg and Prussia were given as answers. Well, his official title during this same period was "elector of Brandenburg and King of Prussia". Our stone-cold European History expert - DUFF - said that Prussia was the far-better answer here. He even mentioned his exact title, word-for-word (as above). Willheim II held both titles simultaneously, and governed both, but the King of Prussia title was the superior claim, and hence, Prussia was more correct. Note, both Prussia and Brandenberg were considered states. Of course, the buzzies went Brandenburg. Poof goes another 6000 points.

Poor question with these choices. One should be removed as both are correct (much like last month's error of in what country will you find the Mosquito coast and both Nicaragua and Honduras are given as answers).

These 2 errors cost us the game. We lost 7000 points between them.

Then again, its only buzztime. At least there wasn't a roman numeral question to foul up. :)

Post subject: Re: Thursday Six May 31 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:31 am 
Lotsa Posta

diablo2112 wrote:
A few fine errors in this game. In the matching six segment, the soccer starts/countries included both Ronaldino and Pele, both from Brazil. No problem, the Buzzies, helpfully included Brazil *twice* on the selection list. Of course, we missed the correct order for this, apparently matching the wrong Brazil with the wrong player, poof goes 1000 points.

Not to be outdone, the History question in Final Six was roughly "what state did Willheim II govern from 1786 to 1797?" Both Brandenburg and Prussia were given as answers. Well, his official title during this same period was "elector of Brandenburg and King of Prussia". Our stone-cold European History expert - DUFF - said that Prussia was the far-better answer here. He even mentioned his exact title, word-for-word (as above). Willheim II held both titles simultaneously, and governed both, but the King of Prussia title was the superior claim, and hence, Prussia was more correct. Note, both Prussia and Brandenberg were considered states. Of course, the buzzies went Brandenburg. Poof goes another 6000 points.

Poor question with these choices. One should be removed as both are correct (much like last month's error of in what country will you find the Mosquito coast and both Nicaragua and Honduras are given as answers).

Then again, its only buzztime. At least there wasn't a roman numeral question to foul up. :)

Although I shouldn't have been playing (SIX is a tough game to play while you work the bar), I did and was dinged on both of these for the same reasons. That said, after the William II question it occurred to me that they specifically asked of which state was William II the elector. I could be wrong about this - I was only half-paying attention to the game, due to all the pesky customers expecting me to provide them with food and drink...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:49 am 
Ending Symphony

Akbar71 wrote:
diablo2112 wrote:

Although I shouldn't have been playing (SIX is a tough game to play while you work the bar), I did and was dinged on both of these for the same reasons. That said, after the William II question it occurred to me that they specifically asked of which state was William II the elector. I could be wrong about this - I was only half-paying attention to the game, due to all the pesky customers expecting me to provide them with food and drink...

The question I think said "Frederick William, known as 'The Great Elector', was ruler of which German state?"

Another question, which in my opinion was poorly worded, was "What pool shark did Paul Newman play in the Hustler?" One could interpret that as asking either for his role in the movie (Fast Eddie Felson) or the name of his opponent (Minnesota Fats). They had both answers up there.

Really this was just the most poorly written SIX game that Buzztime has produced in a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 am 

On the history question, I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of "Frederick William who ruled from 1640 to 1688 was the " Elector, Ruler? " of which German state." I precalled Prussia instantly and didn't bother looking too carefully at the rest of the choices. Had I done so and saw Brandenburg I might have started muttering, though I wouldn't have changed my answer. If the wording of the question was "Elector", then Brandenburg is the better answer, if it was "Ruler" then I'd say Prussia is the better answer. Before the duchy of Prussia was elevated to a Kingdom under Frederick III, the Hohenzollern family were both electors of Brandenburg *AND* dukes of Prussia. And the Prussian title was certainly the more politically significant.

Even though one could argue on the technicalities, I think it was a poor choice to include both answers as possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 am 
Ending Symphony

DUFF wrote:
On the history question, I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of "Frederick William who ruled from 1640 to 1688 was the " Elector, Ruler? " of which German state." I precalled Prussia instantly and didn't bother looking too carefully at the rest of the choices. Had I done so and saw Brandenburg I might have started muttering, though I wouldn't have changed my answer. If the wording of the question was "Elector", then Brandenburg is the better answer, if it was "Ruler" then I'd say Prussia is the better answer. Before the duchy of Prussia was elevated to a Kingdom under Frederick III, the Hohenzollern family were both electors of Brandenburg *AND* dukes of Prussia. And the Prussian title was certainly the more politically significant.

Even though one could argue on the technicalities, I think it was a poor choice to include both answers as possibilities.

The question specifically called him "The Great Elector", but as I recall it was as I phrased it, and they asked for the ruler. Regardless, I agree that it was inappropriate to have both answers listed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

diablo2112 wrote:

Sounds like this game rated a I out of X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I stopped playing Wed/Thur Six two years ago because I was getting cornholed every other game by an abject lack of editing.
So, MKRCHD talks me into finally playing again last night...
I honestly don't see how you guys sit through these god-awful Six games on a weekly basis.
At least the Smartest bar Six games on Mondays seem to be contructed by someone who actually gives a crap.
See you guys again in another two years. Maybe...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:09 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Ill still take my Gold Medal and a #1 ranking for the Mill. It was awful editing though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Ill still take my Gold Medal and a #1 ranking for the Mill. It was awful editing though.

Take 'em where you can, tch.
Believe me, I wasn't trying to detract from any bar or player's efforts; only BT's.
Your ability to safely tap dance through a mine field is duly noted. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:47 am 
Octogenarian

I thought the two Brazils sucked. I too got it wrong, as well, but even had I gotten right, still doesn't seem right to have two choices exactly the same ...never been penalized for a wrong answer by answering it correctly before...SO that was a first.... (At least on the old format of six w/ six matches and two answers the same if one of the choices was directly across, it could not have been correct) With this new format all bets are off....

And (I know this is off topic a bit, but did anyone notice in tonight's SD (June 5, 2012) that in the warm-up round they had two choices that were the same. The correct answer was Neurolagia(??) Neuralgia (??) I, unfortunately precalled neurosis, as it was the only thing I'd heard of and what do you know TWO choices for neurosis show up so I split my boxes two on one neurosis two on the other (that's right I played four boxes there were only two others and myself and we needed six scores) I just kept thinking "what are the odds that within seven days BT would do that AGAIN, surely they wouldn't....." But they didn't.....

"I Just Smoked Your @$$!!!" (Jes. 4:20)