New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SIX 3-12-15
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:05 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Seemed like a pretty difficult game last night. I ended up about 8000 points below my average. There were a couple of "real" sports questions though that saved me from even a worse score, and also probably gave me the local win as the other players in the bar missed them. The sports question in the wager round (always the 6000 for me) was "He was the first golfer to have one million in earnings in a season". (Curtis Strange). Cant remember any of the other distractors other than Jack Nicklaus, which is where Im sure most of the other players went. Also in matching round they asked to match World Series winners to the year: 2009, 2010, 2011 2013. When the question first came up I was hoping the choices would be from 50's through 80's which I seem to have a much easier time remembering than major sports champions from the last few years. It was very doable however, but jsut in general a bit of a bump up in degree of difficulty ffrom typical SIX sports questions. Made me lament all over again the lack of a real sports game for Buzztime

Post subject: Re: SIX 3-12-15
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:22 am 
Centenarian

Amen to that about a real sports game.

Tom Kite was one of the other wrong answers and that was my initial guess, but Merkin, who knows his golf, was pretty adamant about Strange being the correct one. It was definitely one of the better sports questions we've had in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:41 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

CVAVRA wrote:
Amen to that about a real sports game.

Tom Kite was one of the other wrong answers and that was my initial guess, but Merkin, who knows his golf, was pretty adamant about Strange being the correct one. It was definitely one of the better sports questions we've had in a while.
Nancy Lopez was the other name.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:01 pm 
Lotsa Posta

TCHCNB wrote:
There were a couple of "real" sports questions though that saved me from even a worse score, and also probably gave me the local win as the other players in the bar missed them. ...Made me lament all over again the lack of a real sports game for Buzztime

We'll contrast that with the Wednesday game, where a games matching question included the choices, "Golf, Football, Golf, Tennis." So we might not want to slobber all over the content monkeys just yet. The Wednesday game was lazy-ass writing overall. While I didn't play Thursday, the two matching questions I happened to see were closely analogous to the Wednesday game, so I assumed it was the same writer(s).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:21 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Atlas Pizza's choices were Kite, Lopez, Strange, and Sam Snead. No Nicklaus

Yes, pulling CD questions and randomly eliminating one wrong answer is unfair

But GIMPY knew Limnology is the study of fresh water, I remembered the Arafura Sea is between Indonesia and Australia, and we got lucky on the art movement question at the very end