New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SIX 02/25/16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:37 am 
Lotsa Posta

What a bizarre mix of matching questions. Again.

Post subject: Re: SIX 02/25/16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:07 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Yeah. I ended Matching Round about 5k behind where I normally would be

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:15 pm 
Centenarian

Yeah, that question about the choreographers is one of the strangest I've ever seen.

Game was actually going pretty well, all things considered, until I (along with many others) cratered on that Southern Alps question. Instead of 53-54,000, I had to settled for a measly 45,000, which turned out to be pretty good in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:22 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

When I saw that question, I said, "Match the black choreographer with their work? Hell I can't match any white ones to their work."

When something is fairly esoteric to most people, specifying details about the people involved doesn't really help lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:38 am 
Lotsa Posta

CVAVRA wrote:
Yeah, that question about the choreographers is one of the strangest I've ever seen.

Game was actually going pretty well, all things considered, until I (along with many others) cratered on that Southern Alps question. Instead of 53-54,000, I had to settled for a measly 45,000, which turned out to be pretty good in the end.

Actually pre-called the Southern Alps answer. Had some problems with the choreographers, as well as the Hwang plays, the ethnicity of Trinidad's population, the sociology texts, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
CVAVRA wrote:

Actually pre-called the Southern Alps answer. Had some problems with the choreographers, as well as the Hwang plays, the ethnicity of Trinidad's population, the sociology texts, etc.

The only exposure to the Six game that I get is through the posts on this forum.
But having read the various posts regarding topic options and content over the last
few years on here, it appears that Six is slowly evolving in a similar fashion to Showdown
about 15-20 years ago.
The game is shifting slightly from general trivia of variable difficulty to a more academic
flavored game featuring targeted science and humanities topics as the "separators"
between the routine and the challenging.
I'm not certain if this is the natural evolution of a game wherein the writers want
to assure themselves of not duplicating previous material or it's merely the fact
that the game is also being written by the same author of Showdown and this
is the result of using the same research time to kill two birds.
Given that it's on twice a week, I'm leaning toward the former.
But given cost-cutting measures the last few years, it's probably both.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:54 am 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:

The only exposure to the Six game that I get is through the posts on this forum.
But having read the various posts regarding topic options and content over the last
few years on here, it appears that Six is slowly evolving in a similar fashion to Showdown
about 15-20 years ago.
The game is shifting slightly from general trivia of variable difficulty to a more academic
flavored game featuring targeted science and humanities topics as the "separators"
between the routine and the challenging.
I'm not certain if this is the natural evolution of a game wherein the writers want
to assure themselves of not duplicating previous material or it's merely the fact
that the game is also being written by the same author of Showdown and this
is the result of using the same research time to kill two birds.
Given that it's on twice a week, I'm leaning toward the former.
But given cost-cutting measures the last few years, it's probably both.

It might be that, but I'd say it's more likely just lazy writing, without much thought about what would make a decent overall game. Examples: I didn't play Thursday, but happened to look up at two individual sciences questions, both phrased, "What sort of an animal is a XXXXXX?" Or the Trinidadian ethnicity question; I don't mind the question in principal, but it comes up a lot (about various countries, of course.) With regard to Trinidad, though, the ethnicities to match included Indian, Black, Chinese and Mixed, and the percentages were 1% (easy enough), then three very close together, like 23, 24, 27. That's just not a great question, even if you know something about Trinidad. Depending on the source and the definition of "mixed," the question is a crapshoot. Compounding the issue was the same question later in the game, about Singapore's ethnicities. That one was much easier, but speaks to the laziness and lack of thought on the part of the writer(s).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:

It might be that, but I'd say it's more likely just lazy writing, without much thought about what would make a decent overall game. Examples: I didn't play Thursday, but happened to look up at two individual sciences questions, both phrased, "What sort of an animal is a XXXXXX?" Or the Trinidadian ethnicity question; I don't mind the question in principal, but it comes up a lot (about various countries, of course.) With regard to Trinidad, though, the ethnicities to match included Indian, Black, Chinese and Mixed, and the percentages were 1% (easy enough), then three very close together, like 23, 24, 27. That's just not a great question, even if you know something about Trinidad. Depending on the source and the definition of "mixed," the question is a crapshoot. Compounding the issue was the same question later in the game, about Singapore's ethnicities. That one was much easier, but speaks to the laziness and lack of thought on the part of the writer(s).

My apologies.
I'd assumed that NTN writer laziness was a given and did not include it in my notes... :mrgreen: