New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Congrats to Stewart's
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 pm 
Lotsa Posta

As long as we've gone from Six to Showdown to Bridge, I'll take this opportunity once again to plug my favorite card game, which should appeal to any fan of trick-taking games. I refer to the greatest of all trick games, Skat. As a German game, most of the information about it in print and on the Interwebs is in German, but there are finally a few sites in English that provide info about the rules and even some strategery.

For me, it's more of a disease than a pastime. All of my vacation time is devoted to travel for tournaments. (Berlin for the World Championship this year!) I am assured by others, however, that it is possible to enjoy the game without becoming obsessive. I am dubious.

In any event, if you are a fan of bridge, pinochle, euchre, etc., I urge you to look into Skat. If you have any interest after some brief research, I'd be happy to recommend websites, apps for the phone or contacts with your nearest Skat club.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:37 am 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
We should play some bridge, GONE D. I suspect we could win some tournaments before the inevitable murder/suicide.

I could get it up for a well-lubricated rubber.

(Er...that didn't come out right, did it?)

For Swiss or duplicate, I'm too far out of the loop.

(Still not getting there.)

Let me try one more time. I had a partner who was pure magic. The director of our weekly duplicate sessions used to advise her that she should leave me at home, and play with him instead. Eventually she ran off to Palo Alto to get her MBA; and when she came back to Minnesota, married one of her wind-surfing buddies. The last time I saw her, it was to close out a loan I had co-signed. She was six months pregnant, barely showing, and aglow with happiness.

All that was decades ago. Now I'm so lethargic that I can't seem to rouse myself to make a pilgrimage to Chicago for Wednesday Six. However, were I to arrive in your neighborhood, MERKIN, I would welcome a relaxed rubber - four players to two games - and I'll supply the wine.

There. That's more like it.

For the purposes of fiction, not long ago I composed a hand for Swiss pairs: an unlikely 26 point minor suit slam which played more sensibly at three no trump. It was adequate for the story, but I sat there shaking my head that that was all I had in my bag.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:30 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Noting that MERKIN is cruising these pages while I'm in here too, his recommendation of Victor Mollo (via PM) as a bridge commentator is worth pursuing. Mollo is hilarious, and you don't need to know much about bridge to enjoy his send-ups. A cross, if you will, between Charles Goren and PG Wodehouse. And yes, the Bertie Woosters of this world do occasionally get the better of those frail souls who are addicted to intelligence.

Intelligence? A word never properly underappreciated.

A little help here? Ah, screw it.

MERKIN's gone off-line.