New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 2018 MUDEE Memorial Six Challenge 5
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
Just to set the record straight...XTRAIN and DAR were absent for one of the five weeks, and our teammates didn't miss a step without us. We'll probably sit the next one out. Do you need an address to send the trophy to?
XT

Congrats again Tom on winning the Mudee Six trophy. We would love to see a pic of it at Nad River with you guys if you can figure out how to post a pic on here. (Or post it on Facebook badbart?)

Yes, please PM Idjit with your address so the trophy can be shipped out of the Midwest where it has been for too long. ;)

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 am 
Babylon

My congrats to all the teams who competed in the MUDEE tournament. Special congrats to MAD RIVER, as they played a consistently well rounded, excellent run of games. I also want to thank
TIMEOUT of Hanover Park. It was a privilege for me to play with all of you.

CLIPPR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:02 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
First, that shortening the quiz, from Mudee's original month's long affair to a compact five weeks, makes it far more attractive to players who would not otherwise participate, and the proof of this is in the numbers. The Challenge originally hobbled along with only five teams, all very dedicated, but a two-month tournament runs afoul of all kinds of mischief, as ANON, moderator of the Showdown tournaments, can attest. You have family vacations, religious holidays, and reliably bad weather with which to contend. This year there were fifteen sites participating in the Mudee Challenge, which tripled the original number. This was my first participation, and I'm hoping that I drew enough interest to the enterprise that next year my neighborhood can field not just one, but two or even three competing groups.
Sure, but if I were running the thing, I wouldn't make it five straight weeks. Maybe every other or every third week for a total of five tournament dates. As it was, fatigue set in, and interest waned among some teams. For those of us who don't make it a habit to play every Thursday, five in a row can place stress on our schedule, especially for those among us whose most consistent night out is either Wednesday or Friday..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 am 
Lotsa Posta

kaufman wrote:
I wouldn't make it five straight weeks.

Best 4 out of 7? If memory serves, MUDEE used to run these things two months at a stretch. He also complained of being tired during the tournaments, the symptom of a malaise which had tragic consequences. Commissioner Fatigue is a real thing. Don Denton did much of the heavy lifting, but the merits of having a more relaxed schedule need to be weighed against the competitive focus the five week schedule provides.

kaufman wrote:
For those of us who don't make it a habit to play every Thursday, five in a row can place stress on our schedule...

I'm not a Thursday player, which is why I had to be nudged to join. I also anticipated that players would be dropping in and out. (Minnesotans, cooped up all winter and suffering cabin fever, tend to pursue, without much sense of proportion, their travel adventures in May and June.) That local interest remained high may well be a reflection of B-52's strong start.

The single best reason for IDJIT and BUD to keep the current schedule is that the MUDEE Challenge is prospering (more teams), and the second best reason would be that a consistent schedule makes it easier for players to prepare their own schedules and sell the concept to their friends.

Which is not to say that I'm right, or that Kaufman's concerns and suggestions aren't legitimate. Rather it's a question of which among competing advantages are least off-putting and most inclusive.

And those decisions are above my pay grade.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:25 pm 
U > 100 * 2

GONE D wrote:
GYPSY informs me that she hasn't "played trivia in weeks."

This is entirely true. The only way it was a “Team GYPSY” is that in my small way I was able to facilitate getting some strong players to show up at the same place at the same time. I knew I would only be there the first week, as my work and law school obligations precluded me from playing the last four.

So, to be clear, Time Out West’s success in SIX had nothing to do with me (as I’m sure you’re all aware).

But I plan to be back in the game the second half of July, when I return from Italy.

GYPSY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Gypsy wrote:
I was able to facilitate getting some strong players to show up at the same place at the same time.

This is not as easy as it sounds.

Stendhal, in his "Memoirs of Egotism", takes note that de Lafayette, hero of the American Revolution, used to embarrass himself, in his later years, by fondling women less than half his age and by uttering such commonplaces as this: "Only that government is good which has a sound currency, safe roads. equality before the law, the protection of foreigners, and an enlightened judiciary."

Stated this way, Stendhal concludes, the whole business is not very complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 am 
Lotsa Posta

On the golf course for the past several days so missed most of the discussion.

Congrats to all the teams involved. Mad River, please send a PM to CVAVRA and myself with an address to forward the Six Challenge trophy.

I think it will enjoy a year in NYC (even without The Carnegie Deli) before coming home next summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 pm 
Robert Wagner

Congrats to all the top teams and players, especially Mad River. GOOD JOB!!!

Our Fiddlesticks team ran into other necessary functions that were more important than trivia so we have ceased playing for a few weeks.

Thank you GYPSY for hooking us up with such a fine bunch of players, and thanks to all the nice folks who messaged us.

--N B C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sorry for my delinquency in offering sincerest congratulations to Mad River, one of the truly great all-around teams. This recognition represented by this trophy is well deserved and long overdue.