New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Congrats to West Park Station!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I heard that West Park squeaked by Rockin' Crepes last night to repeat as the Smartest Bar champion. Congrats to the West Parkers for bringing more trivia glory to Northeast Ohio, and to IDJT for being an excellent team captain!

Post subject: Re: Congrats to West Park Station!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:45 am 
Lotsa Posta

Indeed, congratulations to West Park Station, who deserve the win based on seven weeks of excellence!

This is not to take away from West Park at all, who again proved they were the best in this tournament, but I cry foul at Buzztime last night. The History question on the final round was wrong, costing Teasers the opportunity to win, or at least close in, as well perhaps as various other competitors.

The final round history question asked asked "Which war ended in 1618. Seven players saw it. The Buzztime 'correct' answer was The Thirty Years Wars, which, of course began in 1618 and ended in 1648. Knowing Thirty Years War was incorrect, we flailed to the contemporaneous and also incorrect 80 Years War between Spain and the Dutch Provinces.

Shame on Buzztime for messing up their biggest competition at the key moment!

West Park should be declared the winner based on their dominance of the entire tournament. But as for last night, FOUL!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:54 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Yes, indeed. It would have been a cruel twist of fate if another site had wrested the championship from West Park Station, following their sterling run as top qualifier. A special tip of the cap to Trivia Girl, whose 64K, when it appeared in the Final Top 20, caused me to gasp in astonishment. I dropped nearly 2,000 points on one question alone - the one that baffled MERKIN.

He and I engaged in a private sob session this morning, from which it emerged that Teasers and B-52 received different distractors in The World question, the second question of the Pick-Your-Poison Round. I had 5K riding on this:

The colors of the flag of Gabon are green, yellow, and _____?
1. Red
2. Blue
3. Brown
4. Black

The second elimination left Blue and Black on-screen. Only one of us, OGEDEI, conjectured that Blue might be the correct answer, on the premise that Blue might be a tribute to Gabon's French-colonial history. I talked him out of it, bless me, and we all flatlined on Black. It turned out that OGEDEI's flimsy hook was all we had.

B-52's failure owed to our lack of knowledge. Teasers' failure was owing to Buzztime's lack of knowledge. These are not comparable injuries. I stumbled. MERKIN got defenestrated.

But he swears up and down that he didn't have Black as an option for the above-going question. There was, as you may imagine, considerable, mutual dismay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 am 
Centenarian

It is quite unfortunate.It happens in sports many times.Bad calls.Not only do you have to play well,at times you have to beat the referees.At least it appears there were no equipment malfunctions.I was playing The Pulse at a location awhile back and only 29 of 30 questions came up.I thought maybe I missed a question.I went back a week later and the same thing happenned.I was playing a game when I got 1000 points on two successive questions and got zero points.Yes,it is unfortunate but one has to beat the referees at times.I have taken it as part of the game even though I cannot be fined if I am critical of officiating unlike the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 pm 
Himself Fodder

When questions from CD are imported into Six some odd things can and have happened over the years.

Since CD has five choices and Six can have either three or four, some choices have to be removed. And like the final question in SD, these incorrect choices are not always consistent across the network.

And there have been times where the correct answer was accidentally removed from the choices leaving no correct answer.

Note these occurrences only crop up when CD questions are blindly imported into Six.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 am 
Centenarian

Bugg wrote:
...only 29 of 30 questions came up.I thought maybe I missed a question.I went back a week later and the same thing happenned.

That has all the hallmarks of a repeat game.
Down here in Hollownose Hollow we have accepted the rank incompetence of NTN as a given.
Is one of us a Turing test?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 am 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:
When questions from CD are imported into Six some odd things can and have happened over the years.

Since CD has five choices and Six can have either three or four, some choices have to be removed. And like the final question in SD, these incorrect choices are not always consistent across the network.

And there have been times where the correct answer was accidentally removed from the choices leaving no correct answer.

Note these occurrences only crop up when CD questions are blindly imported into Six.

Thanks Bo. A likely occurrence here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:49 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

thanks for the congratulations all. the wars question and the flag question also posed issues for us. thanks to trvgrl who was dubious of the 'red' answer we had for the flag of gabon which got two of us to switch which ultimately lead to the narrow win.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:55 am 
Centenarian

It was not repeat games.They were only simply missing one question from the 30 questions.Anyway,even though unlike the NFL where one can be fined for questioning the officiating I will refrain.

Bobby Orr passes it to Derek Sanderson in the right offensive zone.Sanderson passes it back to Orr in the slot.He shoots at S.Louis Blues goaltender the legendary Glen Hall who once played 502 consecutive games in goal. He scores!!!The Boston Bruins have won the 1970 Stanley Cup.Bobby Gordon Orr has won it and is your Conn Smythe trophy winner as most valuable player of the 1970 Stanley Cup playoffs.