New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MUDEE Memorial Six Challenge 6
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Did IDJT's group just put up a record high score for this tournament? That 60K from West Park in the final round was an emphatic triumph.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I know no certain people.

And he's modest.

BUD wrote:
I’m still in Ocean City MD and will be out playing BT at various places today and tonight. I will be dominating the bar rankings boards from Mad Fish, Pizza Tugos and Coins later.

I'll be playing Countdown this afternoon and look forward to pointing at the Final Top 20, to exclaim to whomever is at the table, "Hey, look! It's the Commissioner!"

We did put up several top 10 bar scores at all the 3 stops today. Hope you were tired of seeing Ocean City up there Gone. We did see Li Zhu and B52s early on.

A couple number one bar rankings and other assorted top 10s at Mad Fish in the early afternoon. That’s a new modern location with 3 bars, one is outside looking over the bay and the multi million dollar boats. There is a big OC Tuna tournament starting today. Great view to bang away. We showed how BT works to several possible new converts here.

That was followed by a couple top 10s at Pizza Tugo. They also have a nice outside deck and Tiki bar to play BT with decent reggae music. Great prices here and they have Pizza to Go.

Then on to Coins, one of the older well established BT bars in Ocean City on 26th street, 50 yards from the ocean. Struggled through summer tv topix to a top 20. Following that with a 24th on spotlight, trouble on the final for 3 boxes. Then 3 more top 10s after that.

Fun time and probably too much beer and sun had playing outside at the 1st 2 stops. Not used to getting a tan while playing BT at the usual boring as hell BWW.

The 2 lucky BT bars for tomorrow’s cruise will be Harpoon Hanna’s in Fenwick DE and House of Ribs in Ocean City. No BWW around this resort town and loving it.

Oh did I congratulate West Park. Yeah I think so.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:46 am 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
We did see Li Zhu and B52s early on.

Friday afternoons I enjoy local competition against JOHNL's crew at Ray J's American Grill, and although I added 100 points to my gameplay average, as usual I got swamped: one win and one tie in six attempts. I wish those guys could be persuaded to enter the Mudee Challenge. They would be formidable.

Thanks for the updates regarding your sojourn in Delmarva. I confess to a twinge of envy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

gone d, your post made me go look at some numbers to see what was there. first, a little history of the tournament. this tournament was originally conceived by mudee/daryll, who by all accounts was a great guy. in 2014 he had the idea to do a quarterly three month tournament. the winner would get temporary possession of the six challenge trophy, a lovely red metal trophy crafted by mudee.

the first tournament had five teams (walsh's, west park station, bww gaithersburg, runyon's - megumi, and lucky break in tempe where mudee played). it ran from july 2014 through september 2014. by the end of the three months of the first tournament it was clear that every quarter was too much and three months was too long. the next tournament mudee scheduled for february and march 2015. the second six challenge had eight teams (walsh's, west park station, bww gaithersburg, concert pub, nacho mamas - tempe, brewstirs, sliders - berlin ct, and atlas pizza -calgary). the third edition ran from september through october 2015. that event had five teams (walsh, west park station, bww gaithersburg, nacho mamas, and chicago sam's).

mudee indicated that the he planned to do the six challenge once a year as buzztime seemed like it was going to make smartest bar an annual event. he told me he was looking to do it before football season 2016. that did not happen. then we learned that mudee had died the end of october 2016. bud suggested that we should do one more six challenge to honor mudee. i eventually told bud that i had the trophy and would willingly put it up. in 2017 we decided to do an annual event similar to the mccarthy cup only with a better looking trophy. we picked a time that would not conflict with either of the showdown tournaments and was most convenient for us. we settled on late spring/early summer.

six challenge 4 ran with 12 teams starting in may 2017. six challenge 5 had the largest field so far with 15 teams starting the end of may 2018. six challenge 6 had 14 teams with one shadow team who asked to join too late. six challenge six also started the end of may 2019, but as you know did not finish until july 11.

the next post will have some results and some numbers. bud can certainly amend anything i got wrong here as i hope he will.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

some six challenge facts. first the list of winners:

six challenge 1 walsh's
six challenge 2 concert pub
six challenge 3 west park station
six challenge 4 walsh's
six challenge 5 mad river
six challenge 6 west part station

that means four different winners and two repeat winners, but none back to back. three teams have played in everyone of the challenges, walsh's, west park station, and bww gaithersburg. right behind is sliders/chicago sam's who have played in 5 challenges thus far.

gone d started this by asking how the west park station win compared with others. it is hard to compare since the formats for the first three were different than the last three. the best i can do is provide an average.

six challenge 1 walsh's 57,173
six challenge 2 concert pub 58,737
six challenge 3 west park station 57,566
six challenge 4 walsh's 62722
six challenge 5 mad river 61057
six challenge 6 west part station 61836

walsh's dominated six challenge 4. not only was that the highest average score, it was the largest winning margin winning by an average of 2379 per week. three times the winner won by an average of less than 400 per week. the closest challenge was challenge 5 when mad river won by an average of 137 points per week.

i will add some other random things. the highest score ever in the challenge tournament was by west park station. west park station finished 5th in challenge 5 but in week 2 we got a score of 65258. The next best score ever was by mad river in that same game at 64732. there also have been a handful of 63k scores.

during the course of challenge 1 the 5 teams in the field had the overall winning six score 7 times out of 13 weeks. since then one of the teams in the field has had the overall winning score 30 out of 32 times during the tournament.

i have to add one last thing about our win this year. scott on our team has been playing the same playmaker throughout the tournament. we know which one it is because it won't hold a charge. every thursday scott would stay by the charger and put box 10 back in the charger after every round. last thursday the box was worse than usual and scott had to put it back in the charger after every question. somehow scott not only got the best score for us but the gold medal overall. how he managed this i will never understand, but it amazed the daylights out of me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am 
Lotsa Posta

IDJIT5500 wrote:
...every thursday scott would stay by the charger and put box 10 back in the charger after every round. last thursday the box was worse than usual and scott had to put it back in the charger after every question. somehow scott not only got the best score for us but the gold medal overall. how he managed this i will never understand, but it amazed the daylights out of me.

Among all the mind-boggling stuff I've read on this bulletin board, that's right up there. And I bet he didn't break a sweat.

Is it possible that some future generation of Buzztime device might not be designed with a port for a wireless charger?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
IDJIT5500 wrote:
...every thursday scott would stay by the charger and put box 10 back in the charger after every round. last thursday the box was worse than usual and scott had to put it back in the charger after every question. somehow scott not only got the best score for us but the gold medal overall. how he managed this i will never understand, but it amazed the daylights out of me.

Among all the mind-boggling stuff I've read on this bulletin board, that's right up there. And I bet he didn't break a sweat.

Is it possible that some future generation of Buzztime device might not be designed with a port for a wireless charger?

Unfortunately future play devices will be supplied and maintained by us the players. The BT tablet will go the way of the old antenna gray boxes and blue boxes. When they all die that’s it, done. Hopefully that will be a few more years for the tablets at non Bww locations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:01 pm 
Lotsa Posta

BUD's tagline used to be LET"S GO SKINS! or LET'S GO CAPS! Now what does BUD have to say? These are dark times.

I was hoping for a review of BUD's experience at Harpoon Hanna's, or a description of the vista on Fenwick Island. But still I wish to respond.

Of the fourteen blue playmakers at B-52 Burgers and Brew, twelve of them work just fine. The #13 playmaker has been dying forever and the #11 playmaker, new within the last year, locks up while you're registering your account. The other twelve playmakers each last at least three hours. Some have squishy keys. One of the players reported that he couldn't complete his log-in on the #15 playmaker. The #14 playmaker wandered off years ago and hasn't been seen since.

The tablet experience I've never quite understood. Having previously reported that I rebooted all ten tablets at Wild Bill's Woodbury, in the failed attempt to eliminate phantom handles, I also mentioned that none of the tablets were in the charger when I entered the place. Only one holder of those ten tablets was playing Buzztime. The other nine were in the hands of children playing alternative games on those sad devices.

Nowadays children, from the age of seven, are playing games on their families' smartphones, and have no need for tablets. They can play games on phones, and while playing them, text their friends. The Wild Bill's chain has abandoned Buzztime. I'm not the least acquainted with Buzztime's corporate culture, but to cater to Buffalo Wild Wings, as Buzztime did, is to permit the tail to wag the dog. Intelligent dogs never let that happen, the tail thing. While dogs aren't that intelligent, they are steadfast, and are bred to a purpose. The fact is:

Buzztime is in possession of a library of general knowledge questions, with a specific formatting, which is currently worth more than the company itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks Gone. I do appreciate that at least one fellow traveling player is interested in reading about BT locations.

I will get the Harpoons review along with some other places over the Bay bridge on Scar soon. I was hesitant to continue highjacking the Mudee thread. So I will start a new road trip thread when I have a chance.

Short version for now, the Sat afternoon at Harpoons was a close battle with Ben’s pourhouse in Avon MA. We had 2 consecutive number 1s where Avon was 2nd. Then they beat us by 1 point on the next game and it was back and forth for hours. Hello to Sakic and Beachy who we had visited back in Aug on the way to Maine.

There of course was a F AVON showing up from a unknown BWW. Likely in a site poor area but not sure because BT and Bww refuses to identify the Bww individually.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 am 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
I was hesitant to continue highjacking the Mudee thread.

I have no such scruples.
BUD wrote:
There of course was a F AVON showing up from a unknown BWW. Likely in a site poor area but not sure because BT and Bww refuses to identify the Bww individually.

A couple years back, phantom handles were showing up on the tablets at Wild Bill's Woodbury, so that the Gone D account was showing up on the Final Leaderboards as LYSS. Rebooting didn't help. The issue finally resolved itself when the place was struck by lightning. In the meanwhile, I tried to figure out which LYSS was highjacking (unintentionally) my spot on the Final Top 20. It turns out that there were 442 LYSS's in the system, far more than I would have expected. Are they available to date? There were more than 5,000 WOLFs. It could be difficult for an attractive LYSS to meet the demand.

F AVON has the resemblance to a Banksy-like tag that one might expect from a site-poor neighborhood, but it turns out there's only one such account, playing out of BWW-Wilkes-Barre, a highly ranked bunch who no doubt wished to register their collective affection for the players at Ben's. More likely that than their being harrassed by cosmetics solicitations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5