New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: six challenge 2020
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:05 am 
Severus and Victorinus

BUD wrote:
Now we have 9 teams in the Challenge with the addition of Walsh's and Brittanys in VA.
West Park has said they will play if we get to 9 teams, so we do have that number, so I'll assume we have 10.

I also wanted to make sure all teams are aware and ok with Walsh's playing in the bar. I'm told they will be sitting outside where they can't see a tv. I would hope they would still be taking extra measures to alleviate any questions about an advantage they might have playing at a bar on tablets vs the app.

Starting this all on Thur 8/27. Again I remind all teams that by asking to join the Challenge they are promising to have all players logged into one bar only, that being the team bar. Please no attempts to cheat the lag. For that reason we won't be accepting Common Interest or any bar in SC as a participant. :shock:

2 weeks to go, plenty of time for more teams. I think we'll get a few more.

Hey Bud, as of a few weeks ago, us Time Out West folks have been playing at the bar with the Buzztime tablets.
We haven't been using the app since the 2 mile restriction was turned back on.
So, I can't see us sitting at the bar & using the app. Doesn't make much sense to me.
I'll poll our regular players on Tuesday night & see what everybody thinks.

RAY J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hey Ray J,

It’s ok just go ahead and use the tablets. It’s no big deal. This is the End so might as well play the way you can, without cheating of course. Walsh's will be playing at Walsh's too but they will be sitting outside where they can't see a TV and I hope covering the left side of the tablets during matching to alleviate the slight advantage over the app.

All bars/teams can play in or out of the bar. Doesn’t matter. But if you could turn off the TV? and maybe cover up in matching?

Just have fun and enjoy these last few weeks/months and have a drink and a salute To Illinois from Maryland.

See you on the boards. Time for Lunchtime now. Sunday 1130.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Last night I took a poll of the subset of The Fellowship that plays on Discord, and they agreed that if this is indeed the end of Buzztime, they wanted to participate in one last tournament. Most of the group still does not feel comfortable playing in person yet, so there will be a token group on the patio at Red Fox connected by Discord to the rest. If this is fine with everyone else, then please sign us up.

There is no TV on the patio at Red Fox, and we are happy to cover the left side of our tablets during the matching round if that's the rule--we do not wish to have an unfair advantage.

Thanks to BUD for herding the cats for one last roundup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

That’s great Kevin, I was hoping Red Fox would join in the fun.
Thank you for acknowledging the no tv and covering up during the matching round for those in the bar on buzztime tablets.

I also heard from Bob/Radio who moved from MD and is playing via the Turquoise Trail in ABQ NM with some of the BLZBUB crew. They will also play.

So that’s 12 teams in with about a week to go. Deadline is Thur 8/27 5:00 eastern.
Still missing some big names. Ben’s is still thinking about joining. Matt? Anybody in CA, can’t believe no one plays on Thur in CA? Or Houston? Can’t have a Good final tournament without Houston or CA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

2 days to go till the 2020 Mudee Six Challenge. Final post and final call for more teams.

12 teams in. Starting Thur 8/27 through 9/24. Best 4 of 5 weeks. All team players may only be logged into one bar, no trying to cheat the lag. Remote team play via app and zoom etc or at the bar on tablets is fine. The at bar teams are playing with no Tv and covering the left side of the tablets during the matching round to avoid any advantage over the app. No outside sources or attempts to gain an unfair advantage. The wonderful Mudee SIX Challenge trophy will go to the winner this year and then at some time go to the team with the most total wins. I still have plenty of identical blank plates for the trophy.

Time Out West IL
Meridan AOH CT
Stained Glass Pub Silver Spring MD
Boomerz TX
Scooters NV
Priceless Two AZ
Mad River NY
Brittanys VA
Walsh’s IL
West Park Station OH
Red Fox Grille OH
Turquoise Trail NM

3 game minimum for this year’s Six Challenge. If Buzztime goes dark after 1 or 2 games the competition doesn’t count. If we get through 3 games the total score will count. If we get through 4 or 5 games there will be a drop score.
Repeat games or catastrophic glitches involving 50% of the teams or more will push the schedule an extra week.

Deadline for entry is Thur 8/27 by 5pm eastern. Anybody else want to give Thur Six a shot before Buzztime goes dark?

Any Final questions or comments?

Good luck on Thur.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:16 am 
Centenarian

Bud,
Tower Pub in St. Louis will play.
Thanks,
GRIFF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

griff wrote:
Bud,
Tower Pub in St. Louis will play.
Thanks,
GRIFF

Thanks for joining in Griff. 13 teams in. A bit unlucky of a total. Fitting number for this year and the last tourney.

Also Boomerz will move to LT’s Corner pub in TX.

Good luck tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Congrats to the Red Fox Grille, way to open up a lead on a tough game.

I will get the scores up in bit. Pretty close for 2nd through like 7th.

Thanks for a good turnout.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

1 Red Fox Sports Pub and Grille 55,064 Cuyahoga Falls OH
2 Scooter's Pub Sports Bar & Grill 51,718 Las Vegas NV
3 Walsh's Bar and Grill 50,339 Westmont IL
4 Time Out West Sports Pub 47,544 Hanover Park IL
5 Mad River Bar and Grille 47,318 New York NY
6 West Park Station 46,020 Cleveland OH
7 Tower Pub 42,872 Saint Louis MO
8 LT Corner Pub 38,968 Lakeway TX
9 Stained Glass Pub 34,379 Silver Spring MD
10 Meriden AOH 33,819 Meriden CT
11 Turquoise Trail Brewing 31,251 Albuquerque NM
12 Brittany's Restaurant & Sports Bar 22,699 Woodbridge VA
13 Priceless Too 0 Chandler AZ

Meridan AOH reported a power failure at AOH yesterday. They got back online just before SIX with only 4 devices.
Stained Glass Pub only had me and my wife playing.
Priceless Too may have been playing elsewhere, I'll have to check.
So our bars will be burning up the drop score early. :roll:

Very interesting 1st week. I think BT bumped up the difficulty level for us as they seemed to do for the McCarthy Cup in the past. Nicely done Sara, if it's true. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks, BUD. We crashed and burned on the final sports question (which we fortunately took for 1,000), and a handful of us guessed Saturnism correctly quickly; but a good chunk of the team got the rest of the final questions for full or near-full credit.

In the interests of transparency and full disclosure, the four of us on the Red Fox patio covered the left side of the screen at the beginning of the matching round, and quickly discovered that this left us unable to see the prompt for what we were supposed to match when we were supposed to match it. Whereas DROLL/LOLLYJ was playing on his phone and was able to place it over the left side of the box he was also playing (thus being able to see the prompt on his phone without seeing the choices on the box), the rest of us were only playing boxes. In response, and unsure of what else we could do, I made the decision that HU, RANDY, and myself would have to essentially shut up for the entirety of the matching round and let the rest of the team call out the answers, which we dutifully followed. As it turned out, I'm not sure we would have been much help anyway: most of the questions were either quickly called by the others or we were all clueless on them.

For the rest of the tournament, then, we are going to follow DROLL/LOLLYJ's solution: those of us on the patio will play on our phones, and if someone wants to play an additional box, he/she will cover the left side of the screen with the phone.

Again, I thought it was important to be transparent and above-board about this, and about how we will deal with it in the future. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:44 am 
Himself Fodder

This sports geek is curious to know what the final round sports Q was.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

I think it was the question of who won back-to-back HR titles in 2010 & 2011.

— RWM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:49 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Walsh's pretty much had the same thing as Red Fox, just 4-6,000 points each bet on the sports question in the last round.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:20 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

— RWM

Thanks.

Did it specify the league? Were the other choices legit distractors?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:

— RWM

Thanks.

Did it specify the league? Were the other choices legit distractors?

I don’t recall if the league was specified, although it probably was. But Jose Bautista led MLB both seasons. David Ortiz was a legitimate distractor; I don’t recall the other two choices.

— RWM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:03 pm 

The question was, "Who led the American League in home runs in both 2010 and 2011?".

The choices were:

Mark Teixeira
David Ortiz
Jose Bautista
Miguel Cabrera

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Week 2 of SIX Challenge has arrived already.

Thank you Anon for the details of covering up the tablets for the matching round. I haven’t played Six on tablets in over a year. Also thanking in advance the Other teams that are playing in the bar for doing the same in covering the left side of the tablets. The rest of us on the app Do appreciate that even if it’s not a big deal.

Stained Glass Pub’s team of 2 will attempt to remain above last place.

Good luck tonight. Big storms coming through the Mid Atlantic/North East this evening, please No power failures again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Congrats to the Red Fox Fellowship again. Thus time it was very close with Walsh’s and Mad River within a question of the winners.

The game wasn’t quite as difficult as the 1st week. Better scores. Last round sports was easy, as was Bautista last week.

I will get to the scores and rankings later tonight. I will be at Stained Glass Pub in person during the day today. Much less crowded than at night and it’s a small bar.

Thanks to all who turned out last night. The top 9 scores were all in the Challenge. 10th in the challenge was 19th overall, damn those slackers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:45 am 
Lotsa Posta

A detailed read of the results last night in the Six Challenge for Walsh's will note at the bottom Spidey 33,118 and Richek 850. Richek/Spidey is a known cheater who arbitrages the time lags between the feeds to different locations to receive answers on one board and type perfect scores in typical fifteen question games on his other boards. He and others doing that have rendered Top Board on various games (this week's Brainbuster for instance) meaningless. These boards are no doubt phones/pads that he plays remotely from an unknown location in the West Suburbs of Chicago. He was not at Walsh's last night and did not play with or communicate with any of the Walsh's team. He either signed up there remotely during the latter rounds to test the time lags or just to be an annoyance.

While it made no difference in the top scores last night, just to be clear, the Walsh's team always plays wetware only, disavows any association with Richek/Spidey and will not allow him to play on our team if he ever shows up. While we cannot prevent him from logging in remotely, his scores, whatever they may be, are not done in conjunction with the Walsh's team and should be disregarded for tournament averages if they appear at Walsh's (or any place else).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:53 am 
Lotsa Posta

And as for the fun side of last night, I managed to have one of the better precalls, by an hour. During the sports game at 630 CDT, one question was basically 'In what sport did Francesco Molinari become famous in 2018?" While all they wanted was golf, I said he had won the British Open that year and asked our collection of sports experts "On what course?" Before Ro correctly answered Carnoustie, Zarge guessed Baltusrol. I replied that Baltusrol is in New Jersey.

Last edited by Merkin on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thank you Lorin for keeping us up to date with the strange situations that the app can throw at us. Much appreciated on putting that out here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

In the same vein as what MERKIN said, we noticed last night that four people playing "at" Red Fox were people we have never met (SKOLRZ, BURNER, GRINGO, PDOGG). While it seems pretty clear they weren't cheating, I just thought I ought to be on the record that they are not part of our team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
Congrats to the Red Fox Fellowship again. Thus time it was very close with Walsh’s and Mad River within a question of the winners.

Thanks, BUD! It really was a photo-finish among the top three--Kudos to Walsh's and Mad River.

As a follow-up to last week, I used the DROLL method to cover the left part of the screen of a box with my phone to get the prompts without seeing the choices, and it worked smoothly. It also demonstrated, I think, both the disadvantages and the limits to the disadvantages of using only the app during the matching round.

For example, I am pretty sure we would have aced the Canadian National Parks question if we had seen all four choices before being prompted for answers. As it was, I'm not sure that any of us got all four.

On the other hand, I am equally confident that if we had seen all four choices for the question on The Croods, it would not have helped us one whit. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Week 2 ( We had Barley Hopsters in Delaware OH ask to join before week 2's game, taking a 0 for the 1st week)

1 Red Fox Sports Pub and Grille 61,164
2 Walsh's Bar and Grill 60,950
3 Mad River Bar and Grille 60,873
4 Tower Pub 56,322
5 West Park Station 56,056
6 Time Out West Sports Pub 55,169
7 Meriden AOH 53,211
8 LT Corner Pub 53,139
9 Scooter's Pub Sports Bar & Grill 51,263
10 Turquoise Trail/Slate Street 50,293 (moved around)
11 Barley Hopsters 40,374
12 Stained Glass Pub 38,874
13 Brittany's Restaurant & Sports Bar 35,485
14 Famous Sam's 12,641 (I think a few from Priceless Too played here both weeks, 23952 last week)

Last edited by BUD on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Total after 2 weeks

Week 2, week 1 = total
1 Red Fox Sports Pub and Grille - 61,164,55064 = 116228
2 Walsh's Bar and Grill - 60,950,50339 = 111289
3 Mad River Bar and Grille - 60,873,47318 =108191
4 Scooter's Pub Sports Bar & Grill - 51,263,51718 = 102981
5 Time Out West Sports Pub - 55,169,47544 = 102713
6 West Park Station - 56,056,46020 = 102076
7 Tower Pub - 56,322,42872 = 99194
8 LT Corner Pub - 53,139,38968 = 92107
9 Meriden AOH - 53,211,33819 = 87030
10 Turquoise Trail/Slate Street - 50,293,31251 = 81544
11 Stained Glass Pub - 38,874,34379 = 73253
12 Brittany's Restaurant & Sports Bar - 35,485,22699 = 58184
13 Barley Hopsters 40,374,0 = 40374
14 Famous Sam's - 12,641 (I think a few from Priceless Too played here both weeks, 23952 last week) = 36593

Last edited by BUD on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.