New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boccavino's Swan Song
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:18 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Tonight's SIX game was very likely Boccavino's last appearance on the National Rankings. Management decided to drop Buzztime after BT imposed a hike in the subscription rate, and it seems the site will be pulled offline after tomorrow. Despite Boccavino's honest and repeated efforts to promote the game, the 8 or 10 of us in the group remained the only people who ever came in to play BT there, and that was only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Boccavino's essentially a modern Italian bistro, anyway, and most of their clientele is only interested in good food and wine, so we understand perfectly why the decision was made

I'm not 100% sure where all the players will end up, but most of us will migrate over to Rembrandts and join the regulars there, four blocks to the west, so Calgary should still have a competitive site on Thursday nights. (That's the plan as I see it, anyway)

Post subject: Re: Boccavino's Swan Song
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

[quote="pengwn"]Tonight's SIX game was very likely Boccavino's last appearance on the National Rankings. Management decided to drop Buzztime after BT imposed a hike in the subscription rate, and it seems the site will be pulled offline after tomorrow. Despite Boccavino's honest and repeated efforts to promote the game, the 8 or 10 of us in the group remained the only people who ever came in to play BT there, and that was only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Boccavino's essentially a modern Italian bistro, anyway, and most of their clientele is only interested in good food and wine, so we understand perfectly why the decision was made

I'm not 100% sure where all the players will end up, but most of us will migrate over to Rembrandts and join the regulars there, four blocks to the west, so Calgary should still have a competitive site on Thursday nights. (That's the plan as I see it, anyway)[/quote

Very Sorry to hear that. I have gotten use to seeing Boccavino's up on the boards. good luck to you all.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:15 am 
Precinct?

Calgary has so many sites in which to play trivia. One down, and 40 more to choose from. Must be nice for them. Too bad it was the #1 site in Alberta. Maybe you guys (Melrose) will take the baton and run with it. The falling of top locations has been happening since the dawn of time (1994-ish from my NTN clock), so this is nothing new.

Our now defunct little location in BC frequently saw Boccavino's on the leader boards, and we always asked: "is that with a hard C or a soft Ch?" Maybe now, it does not matter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Soft ch. We pronounce it "Bock-a-vee-no"

Melrose gathers as a group on Tuesday and some Friday nights, but the latter is my bowling night. For some variety, I prefer to [s]sandbag off of[/s] team up with the Red Fox/Boccavino/Rembrandts players

I keep thinking how this is sort of parallel to the New York players moving out a few years ago, going from a bit of a dive (A&M Roadhouse) to a classier joint (B4), and now back in a more basic kinda place that's still not bad (Mad River). Except that we're not quite as good

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

So sorry to hear about the loss of your location. I guess Boccavino's loss is Rembrandt's' gain, but it's never fun to lose your home site. Best wishes to you and your friends at your new location.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am sorry to read about Boccavinos losing BT. They obviously had a great team, and most of them will likely converge on a new spot, as pengwn stated on his opening post. Good luck to them!

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

So u & & has moved points over to Rembrandt's?

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

pengwn wrote:

Melrose gathers as a group on Tuesday and some Friday nights, but the latter is my bowling night. For some variety, I prefer to [s]sandbag off of[/s] team up with the Red Fox/Boccavino/Rembrandts players

I keep thinking how this is sort of parallel to the New York players moving out a few years ago, going from a bit of a dive (A&M Roadhouse) to a classier joint (B4), and now back in a more basic kinda place that's still not bad (Mad River). Except that we're not quite as good

Just so the record is clear: A&M Roadhouse was a pretty nice place with good food and lively clientele. B4, where we went after the manager of A&M was fired and the bar cancelled the game, was in an alley behind the NY Stock Exchange. The alley was where businesses on the street put their garbage, and there was a guard station to keep any vehicles except garbage trucks from venturing there. No casual visitor would venture down that alley without knowing the bar was there. We, the NTN team, were frequently the only customers, and good thing because there wasn't room for many more customers. Mad River is on most nights a meat rack for singles. We couldn't play there seriously on any other night but Tuesdays. It does, however, have good food and a sympatico manager.
XTrain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

xtrain wrote:
pengwn wrote:

Just so the record is clear: A&M Roadhouse was a pretty nice place with good food and lively clientele. B4, where we went after the manager of A&M was fired and the bar cancelled the game, was in an alley behind the NY Stock Exchange. The alley was where businesses on the street put their garbage, and there was a guard station to keep any vehicles except garbage trucks from venturing there. No casual visitor would venture down that alley without knowing the bar was there. We, the NTN team, were frequently the only customers, and good thing because there wasn't room for many more customers. Mad River is on most nights a meat rack for singles. We couldn't play there seriously on any other night but Tuesdays. It does, however, have good food and a sympatico manager.
XTrain

Ah, I never actually set foot in B4, but I did walk by it on one of my visits. I was under the impression going there that the place would be a trendy or posh wine bar, catering to the traders and financial types. The whole Wall Street area is large buildings crammed together in narrow streets, so I suppose if I thought anything at all about B4's location, it was "for this location, you take any vacancy you can get"

As for A&M Roadhouse and Mad River, that's my impression of each place. Don't get me wrong, I like(d) each location. I suppose I'm influenced by a certain bias in thinking Manhattan establishments have to be rather classy, because, well, it's New York City, so it's a bit surprising for me to come from Western Canada and find Manhattan pubs and bars are actually not all that different from what can be found in Calgary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 am 

Sad about Boccavino, the food was good. It's Melrose for me on Tuesdays when I am there in July, maybe Rembrandts otherwise.

No matter how hard you push the envelope, it's still stationery.
Edit/Delete Message