Top Bar:
Mr Bs Restaurant Sports Lounge
Los Alamitos, CA
Score: 60934

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: Spotlight winners for 1/22
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 pm 
Dammit, Chloe. There's No Time!

Do people tend to do team play for Spotlight? Anything around 60,000+ is an amazing score. We have a couple pop culture junkies at my location, including myself, and I don't think I've ever scored more than 54,000.

If you get 60,000+ playing solo, my hat's off to you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TriviaJockey wrote:
Do people tend to do team play for Spotlight? Anything around 60,000+ is an amazing score. We have a couple pop culture junkies at my location, including myself, and I don't think I've ever scored more than 54,000.

All premium games are played by teams except at sites where team play is discouraged.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am 
Lord of Scaratings

FrankC wrote:
TriviaJockey wrote:

All premium games are played by teams except at sites where team play is discouraged.

Or at sites with only one person playing trivia.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am 
Lotsa Posta

TriviaJockey wrote:

Yes, it is team play and yes it is very difficult to get anywhere close to 60,000 solo. I only know of a couple of players that can put up 50,000+ consistently solo. That doesn't include me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:13 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

FrankC wrote:
TriviaJockey wrote:

Lets not be so absolute.

Frankly, I see much more team play during late afternoon Countdown games than for any premium game.

I haven't seen organized team play for any premium game other than Showdown since 2001 or 2002.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm 
Colt

There's one guy who could consistently put up 60k solo, but he doesn't play the game much anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:26 pm 

I am such a competetive freak that I just can't force myself to play as a team. Solo, on Spotlight games where I get the majority of the points on the final question, I prob. average 45,000-52,000. 52,000-54,000 is a really good game for me. It's my favorite game of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:02 am 
Lord of Scaratings

TriviaJockey wrote:
I am such a competetive freak that I just can't force myself to play as a team.

Being competitive has nothing to do with team play or not. Some competitive people choose solo sports like golf or tennis, some choose team play such as basketball or baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 am 
Golden Tee Master

scar wrote:
TriviaJockey wrote:
I am such a competetive freak that I just can't force myself to play as a team.

Being competitive has nothing to do with team play or not. Some competitive people choose solo sports like golf or tennis, some choose team play such as basketball or baseball.

Others choose swimming :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 am 

scar wrote:
Being competitive has nothing to do with team play or not.

Oh I'm not so sure about that. When I say I'm "competetive", I mean I want to see how well I can do with my own abilities/talent/knowledge, etc. I can't really do that in team play. Thus, generally speaking, I think a highly competetive person would likely gravitate to solo play.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hells bells. Not this Image crapola, again. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

TriviaJockey wrote:
scar wrote:

Oh I'm not so sure about that. When I say I'm "competetive", I mean I want to see how well I can do with my own abilities/talent/knowledge, etc. I can't really do that in team play. Thus, generally speaking, I think a highly competetive person would likely gravitate to solo play.

I think you will find that many will differ with you on your assumption.

I know I do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

From the Free Online Dictionary

com·pet·i·tive (km-pt-tv)
adj.
1. Of, involving, or determined by competition: competitive games.
2. Liking competition or inclined to compete: a highly competitive teammate.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/competitive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
TriviaJockey wrote:
scar wrote:
I think you will find that many will differ with you on your assumption.

I know I do.
Make that at least two of us. Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TriviaJockey wrote:
I am such a competetive freak that I just can't force myself to play as a team. Solo, on Spotlight games where I get the majority of the points on the final question, I prob. average 45,000-52,000. 52,000-54,000 is a really good game for me. It's my favorite game of the week.

So, you would allow your friends, relatives, and home site to lose because you are competitive? Being Numero UNO at a loosing bar is not much fun for me. I am sorry, but I just do not understand soloist players.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:31 am 

FrankC wrote:
So, you would allow your friends, relatives, and home site to lose because you are competitive?

Well, yes. I go to my home location generally with one or two friends, and we always have a friendly competition between us. Often we'll wager a buck or two worth of beer money on each game. That's why we love it...a chance to put our knowledge to the test and see who can come out on top. We also love beating random people in the bar we don't know...but we really have more fun when the randoms are actually decent players. It gives us a sense of accomplishment.

I really don't care how well the bar ranks...means nothing to us. It's also transitory...on the contrary, with solo play I can try to get my name listed in the location top 10 for each game, which lasts forever (premium games, anyway). And it doesn't help that we don't often get 5 really good players (usually 2-3 good ones and then the randoms who are just there to eat), so it's hard at my location to get a top-ranking bar score even if we wanted to play as a team.

I guess, in sum, that my competetiveness drives me to see how high I can score, how many top 10 scores I can have on the local lists, how many top 100 scores I can pile up in my profile, etc. I just don't get that sense of accomplishment from team play.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

TriviaJockey wrote:
I really don't care how well the bar ranks...means nothing to us. It's also transitory...on the contrary, with solo play I can try to get my name listed in the location top 10 for each game, which lasts forever (premium games, anyway). And it doesn't help that we don't often get 5 really good players (usually 2-3 good ones and then the randoms who are just there to eat), so it's hard at my location to get a top-ranking bar score even if we wanted to play as a team.

I guess, in sum, that my competetiveness drives me to see how high I can score, how many top 10 scores I can have on the local lists, how many top 100 scores I can pile up in my profile, etc. I just don't get that sense of accomplishment from team play.

Just my opinion.
Well, FYI (and, IIRC), premium game top ten scores are good for one year, unless the NTN Buzztime computer's hard drive gets wiped or replaced before then. Countdown, Buzztime Trivia, and Lunchtime Trivia games are good until the end of the month. Given this, seems like all scores are to some extent transitory, though some are less transitory than others. Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 pm 

liljol wrote:
Well, FYI (and, IIRC), premium game top ten scores are good for one year, unless the NTN Buzztime computer's hard drive gets wiped or replaced before then. Countdown, Buzztime Trivia, and Lunchtime Trivia games are good until the end of the month. Given this, seems like all scores are to some extent transitory, though some are less transitory than others. Image[/color]

Mostly true...the basic games' scores are cleared out monthly. However, our scores for premium games survived the new year...they were only wiped about 2 weeks ago when my home location got an entirely new system installed.

Still, I love seeing my name up there when top 10 lists are flashed. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

TriviaJockey wrote:
liljol wrote:
Well, FYI (and, IIRC), premium game top ten scores are good for one year, unless the NTN Buzztime computer's hard drive gets wiped or replaced before then. Countdown, Buzztime Trivia, and Lunchtime Trivia games are good until the end of the month. Given this, seems like all scores are to some extent transitory, though some are less transitory than others. Image[/color]

Mostly true...the basic games' scores are cleared out monthly. However, our scores for premium games survived the new year...they were only wiped about 2 weeks ago when my home location got an entirely new system installed.

the premium game top 10 have never disappeared at the turn of any year. they come off one by one after 365 days... just like the top 100's disappear off from stats after 6 months

if there is team play, the person who would be the best solo player will continue to rack up the most local wins. the names on the leaderboard don't change. just the scores are a little higher.

one other factor to consider, there are a number of sites that give a reward to players for a number 1 bar ranking in a game and bupkiss for individual achievements

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

stevej84 wrote:
TriviaJockey wrote:
liljol wrote:

the premium game top 10 have never disappeared at the turn of any year. they come off one by one after 365 days... just like the top 100's disappear off from stats after 6 months

if there is team play, the person who would be the best solo player will continue to rack up the most local wins. the names on the leaderboard don't change. just the scores are a little higher.

one other factor to consider, there are a number of sites that give a reward to players for a number 1 bar ranking in a game and bupkiss for individual achievements
With all due respect, my apologies for not being precise enough about the premium games, which (apparently) should have been described as "...one year after the play date..." or some such like that.

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:03 pm 

stevej84 wrote:
the premium game top 10 have never disappeared at the turn of any year. they come off one by one after 365 days

Ah, didn't know that. Still, fun to see my name up there for a year.

Quote:

In that situation, I grant you that team play would probably be the way to go. My location doesn't give squat for trivia.