New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Perfect Score 11/19?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 am 
U > 100 * 2

Boris pulls in the gold with a perfect score, not sure I've even seen GAMBIT get that one. Any suspicion there? He has pretty solid scores, but a perfect in a premium game is a perfect in a premium game...

Post subject: Re: Perfect Score 11/19?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jethro wrote:
Boris pulls in the gold with a perfect score, not sure I've even seen GAMBIT get that one. Any suspicion there? He has pretty solid scores, but a perfect in a premium game is a perfect in a premium game...

On Spotlight last Friday, there were four bars that averaged over 60K, and six more bars that averaged over 55K. Given this, I really don't think a perfect game or two would be out of order.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Jethro wrote:

On Spotlight last Friday, there were four bars that averaged over 60K, and six more bars that averaged over 55K. Given this, I really don't think a perfect game or two would be out of order.

-- RWM

We tanked the final or we would have had a 63k, but we are solid most weeks. Like top 5, the last 3 weeks have been brutal for us. The dude has solid scores, but right at 50k most weeks and then perfect. Who knows I suppose. A few weeks ago there were 6 or 7 bars over 60k, not a single perfect. So your saying a few bars over 60 equates to a perfect is laughable, at best. But, again maybe he has found his stride.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
So your saying a few bars over 60 equates to a perfect is laughable, at best.

Not saying that. But having a few bars over 60K certainly increases that possibility. Now, if a few weeks from now, there is a brutal game where no bar can even break 50K and there is someone with a perfect score, now that is rather fishy.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:56 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:

Given your statement, it's obvious you don't understand why any perfect game in SL would be openly questioned. FYI, it's all about the Flashback round, next to impossible to ace. LOL at not thinking a couple of perfs would be out of order. BTW, how many perfs does VISHNU have?

FWIW, this guy/group is in my area although I've never played against him. They've had a solid SL team for several years now, but the past few weeks have been a little out of the ordinary for them. It's possible, but I'm definitely not sold on the fact.

Something else that looks odd to me is the very few number of times players in that group take a negative on the final question. They play every week and there are two players that haven't missed. BORIS has missed once, but taking a look at their 7-8 regs, they've only missed 7-8 times combined over the last 6 months.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Given your statement, it's obvious you don't understand why any perfect game in SL would be openly questioned. FYI, it's all about the Flashback round, next to impossible to ace. LOL at not thinking a couple of perfs would be out of order. BTW, how many perfs does VISHNU have?...
BO

How many times has Hank Aaron hit for the cycle in his career? None! So are we to question the legitimacy of someone who does hit for the cycle? That seems to be a pretty close analogy to prior statements on this thread regarding GAMBIT and VISHNU.

The Flashback round? The one where you need to guess the year of an event? Yes, I know someone in Connecticut who repeatedly aces that round, and no, it doesn't involve cheating. This guy just has an amazing knowledge of the years where things happen. On the rare occasions where I play Spotlight with this person, my strategy for Flashback Round is, just enter what he tells me to.

Sorry, but based on the number of high bar score averages for this past week, plus the fact that thousands of people play Spotlight every Friday, I won't assume a perfect score as evidence of "cheating". All I can say is, see if it happens again with the same player or group.

BO, if you can't respond to something I've said with a little more courtesy than what I've quoted above, will you put me on your "ignore" list? I would appreciate it.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
How many times has Hank Aaron hit for the cycle in his career? None! So are we to question the legitimacy of someone who does hit for the cycle? That seems to be a pretty close analogy to prior statements on this thread regarding GAMBIT and VISHNU.

I hate having to explain things more than once. VISHNU is the best player ever to play the game, the best by far in the Flashback round. When he played, the game was in fact easier than it is now. Or perhaps he made it easier. His numbers is the yardstick individual scores are measured by.

Quote:
The Flashback round? The one where you need to guess the year of an event? Yes, I know someone in Connecticut who repeatedly aces that round, and no, it doesn't involve cheating. This guy just has an amazing knowledge of the years where things happen. On the rare occasions where I play Spotlight with this person, my strategy for Flashback Round is, just enter what he tells me to.

8k all the time in that round? Nope. Don't even try to sell that here. Especially when the best player in CT doesn't even average 47k and ranks 150th.

Quote:
Sorry, but based on the number of high bar score averages for this past week, plus the fact that thousands of people play Spotlight every Friday, I won't assume a perfect score as evidence of "cheating". All I can say is, see if it happens again with the same player or group.

I don't automatically assume that either, but in this case one must wonder given all the evidence plus the fact any Tom, Dick, and Harry can do so with an iPhone.

Quote:
BO, if you can't respond to something I've said with a little more courtesy than what I've quoted above, will you put me on your "ignore" list? I would appreciate it.

Your request has kindly been acknowledged. And denied.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:56 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

I hate having to explain things more than once. VISHNU is the best player ever to play the game, the best by far in the Flashback round. When he played, the game was in fact easier than it is now. Or perhaps he made it easier. His numbers is the yardstick individual scores are measured by.

Quote:

8k all the time in that round? Nope. Don't even try to sell that here. Especially when the best player in CT doesn't even average 47k and ranks 150th.

Quote:

I don't automatically assume that either, but in this case one must wonder given all the evidence plus the fact any Tom, Dick, and Harry can do so with an iPhone.

Quote:

Your request has kindly been acknowledged. And denied.

BO

Bo, I am the player that you referenced from CT that is ranked 150th and the only reason I am ranked that high is because of the times that Biff plays - which is whom that Richard referenced. He repeatedly nails the Flashback Round for nearly perfect. Without him, my ranking would not be nearly as high as it is. Occasionally, we do bleed some points on some questions. Take a look at our scores from Friday night at Bostons (Manchester CT). The only questions that we missed were 2 in the Think-Again Round and a few people bled due to slow response on the boxes in the Final. I promise you that none of us used an iPhone, Android or any other kind of phone to cheat on the final. That was our best score as a group.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:02 pm 
Himself Fodder

tchoiniere wrote:
Bo, I am the player that you referenced from CT that is ranked 150th and the only reason I am ranked that high is because of the times that Biff plays - which is whom that Richard referenced. He repeatedly nails the Flashback Round for ***nearly*** perfect. Without him, my ranking would not be nearly as high as it is. Occasionally, we do bleed some points on some questions. Take a look at our scores from Friday night at Bostons (Manchester CT). The only questions that we missed were 2 in the Think-Again Round and a few people bled due to slow response on the boxes in the Final. I promise you that none of us used an iPhone, Android or any other kind of phone to cheat on the final. That was our best score as a group.

Thank you for the information. The important difference in the two versions of the story is highlighted above. I averaged 7k+ in this round for several years but only aced it once. Many players out there can say similar things. This is exactly why a perfect in this game is quite rare.

BO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:
Bo, I am the player that you referenced from CT that is ranked 150th and the only reason I am ranked that high is because of the times that Biff plays - which is whom that Richard referenced. He repeatedly nails the Flashback Round for ***nearly*** perfect. Without him, my ranking would not be nearly as high as it is. Occasionally, we do bleed some points on some questions. Take a look at our scores from Friday night at Bostons (Manchester CT). The only questions that we missed were 2 in the Think-Again Round and a few people bled due to slow response on the boxes in the Final. I promise you that none of us used an iPhone, Android or any other kind of phone to cheat on the final. That was our best score as a group.

Thank you for the information. The important difference in the two versions of the story is highlighted above. I averaged 7k+ in this round for several years but only aced it once. Many players out there can say similar things. This is exactly why a perfect in this game is quite rare.

BO

I've seen Biff score 8000 on that round, and I've seen it more than once. Hence my comment that he "repeatedly" aces that round. I never said he does it every week, or that he plays perfectly. He does come close, though.

In fact, based on Tim's comments, I see that Biff (or at least, his team) aced this week's Flashback as well.

As for BORIS, my attitude is "innocent until proven guilty", which seems to be an abstract concept these days.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 am 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
I've seen Biff score 8000 on that round, and I've seen it more than once. Hence my comment that he "repeatedly" aces that round. I never said he does it every week, or that he plays perfectly. He does come close, though.

He's that good in that one round, and yet he's only the 160th best player in that game? For many years that round was the sole difference between 1st and 20th for location scores. Hell, he's only cracked the top 100 individually 6 of 20 times. I'm an old fuddy-duddy and I'm 1 for 2 in top 100's over that same stretch while only scoring 6k or so in the year round.

Look, there's just things that make no logical or statistical sense in the BT world. It's certainly possible, just improbable. And yes, in this case BORIS is innocent until proven guilty or more damning numbers show up. I just know which side I'd bet on.

BO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

He's that good in that one round, and yet he's only the 160th best player in that game? For many years that round was the sole difference between 1st and 20th for location scores. Hell, he's only cracked the top 100 individually 6 of 20 times. I'm an old fuddy-duddy and I'm 1 for 2 in top 100's over that same stretch while only scoring 6k or so in the year round...
BO

Well, when Biff plays on a team, it only has five or six players - if that. Most of the more highly-ranked players seem to be part of larger teams. Also, he doesn't always play on a team. So he really is a better player than that 160th-best average would suggest.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Well, when Biff plays on a team, it only has five or six players - if that. Most of the more highly-ranked players seem to be part of larger teams. Also, he doesn't always play on a team. So he really is a better player than that 160th-best average would suggest.

-- RWM

Misconception, misconception, misconception! If you went down the line most of the top Spotlight scoring teams only have 5-6 players.

At one point I was ranked in the top 10 for that game, but not knowing 2 Disney Harlets and a fringe rapper, well makes me look like a tool in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 am 
Lotsa Posta

I'll throw in what Mr. B's does. We usually have 10-12 players for Spotlight. One of these guys knows just about anything about movies that is to be known as he has worked with the business and sees about 200 movies a year. 3 players know the dates in the 'Flashback' round because they memorize the dates of certain movies and music, etc. Why? The reason is that they wish to win this game and do often.

We also have a bartender that knows most music and tv questions. His weakness is the dates, but even he is close. There are others that pick up the odds and ends or will verify the throwout answer. The ' Think Again' round is usually pretty good too and the players are trying to precall the following answer before it is presented. Also, no electronic devices are used as they aren't needed. In addition, I have played Spotlight at several sites and have never seen an electronic device used in Spotlight. This doesn't apply to other games as I have seen them used.

When we see a top or perfect score listed, we never question their success. We just curse and say that we'll get 'em next time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:19 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

He's that good in that one round, and yet he's only the 160th best player in that game? For many years that round was the sole difference between 1st and 20th for location scores. Hell, he's only cracked the top 100 individually 6 of 20 times. I'm an old fuddy-duddy and I'm 1 for 2 in top 100's over that same stretch while only scoring 6k or so in the year round.

Look, there's just things that make no logical or statistical sense in the BT world. It's certainly possible, just improbable. And yes, in this case BORIS is innocent until proven guilty or more damning numbers show up. I just know which side I'd bet on.

BO

BO as you know I never agree with Zog, but as avid Friday night players of Spotlight I agree with him that Biff (Tom) is solid in the flasback round (we fondly call the years round) usually it is the opening clue of movies, academy award winners etc. that he exceeds in constantly nailing them exactly. I agree we are an average to above average Spotlight team, but it is Biff's consistancy in that round that gets us the scores we need to do well. Granted it is a minority of the time that we get a perfect in that round, but it has happened. It is usually the "Think again" round that kills us :? with all that new TV shit they constantly bombard on us.
Hope you have Happy Thankgiving.
Regards
Richte

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 pm 
Centenarian

zog741 wrote:
-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

He's that good in that one round, and yet he's only the 160th best player in that game? For many years that round was the sole difference between 1st and 20th for location scores. Hell, he's only cracked the top 100 individually 6 of 20 times. I'm an old fuddy-duddy and I'm 1 for 2 in top 100's over that same stretch while only scoring 6k or so in the year round...
BO

-- RWM

I consider us a solid team, anywhere from 5-8 players, and everyone on our team contributes, granted that Flashback is all about Biff, but like I said in a previous post it is usully the "Think again" round that hurts us and the occasional obscure final question. But I think we do a hell of a job competing with the rest of the country whether we are at the "Adams Mill" or "Boston Pizza" :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

richte09 wrote:
...BO as you know I never agree with Zog, ...

I disagree. :)

-- RWM

richte09 wrote:
I consider us a solid team, anywhere from 5-8 players, and everyone on our team contributes, granted that Flashback is all about Biff, but like I said in a previous post it is usully the "Think again" round that hurts us and the occasional obscure final question. But I think we do a hell of a job competing with the rest of the country whether we are at the "Adams Mill" or "Boston Pizza" :D

Here I completely agree. I don't know how well your team would do on Spotlight without Biff, but I doubt that you'd do nearly as well.

My comments on this thread, you realize, were not to praise Biff as an outstanding Spotlight player (which he certainly is). It was mostly to thwart BO's assertion that the Flashback round was so difficult to ace that any perfect score in Spotlight is suspect. It will be interesting to see how everyone does on tomorrow night on Spotlight, to see if there are any perfect games. (Frankly, I doubt there will be, but time will tell.)

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. To those in Canada, I realize that wish was over a month late. Sorry. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:54 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
My comments on this thread, you realize, were not to praise Biff as an outstanding Spotlight player (which he certainly is). It was mostly to thwart BO's assertion that the Flashback round was so difficult to ace that any perfect score in Spotlight is suspect. It will be interesting to see how everyone does on tomorrow night on Spotlight, to see if there are any perfect games. (Frankly, I doubt there will be, but time will tell.)

Considering I played the very first game of SL 15+ years ago, plus the fact I've seen rankings from every SL game and can remember the lack of perfectos over those 15 years, you are quite unable to thwart any assertion of mine in this and any other game.

But feel free to continue if you wish.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Considering I played the very first game of SL 15+ years ago, plus the fact I've seen rankings from every SL game and can remember the lack of perfectos over those 15 years, you are quite unable to thwart any assertion of mine in this and any other game.

BO

I played my first Spotlight over 10 years ago. I'll acknowledge the lack of perfect scores, but as I've said previously, "innocent until proven guilty."

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 am 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
I played my first Spotlight over 10 years ago. I'll acknowledge the lack of perfect scores, but as I've said previously, "innocent until proven guilty."

Well then, since you're aware of the lack of perfectos over the years, don't you think it's quite odd for an at best 2nd tier team/player to all of a sudden ace a game?

BO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Well then, since you're aware of the lack of perfectos over the years, don't you think it's quite odd for an at best 2nd tier team/player to all of a sudden ace a game?

BO

Over 8000 people play Spotlight every week, some of them on accomplished teams. Every now and then, someone will get lucky. And while it would most likely be a top team or player that does it, that isn't necessarily going to be the case. The fact that last week's scores were higher than normal would increase the odds of such a perfect game, as I've stated previously.

-- RWM

[Edited 11/28 to correct grammar]

Last edited by zog741 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:54 am 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

BO

I can understand your suspicions about perfect games as I have those suspicions on some games as well. This doesn't include Spotlight as I've seen several teams in action. There are a lot of really good players that know their entertainment. In fact, I will offer you an invitation, if you are ever in the area. Drop by Mr. B's some Friday and you can see for yourself.

In retrospect, I don't know the player or players that you are referring to, but I know these other players. I also have met Vishnu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

BO

Isn't it reasonable to assume that after 15 years someone might get a perfect score. It is like the monkeys at the typewriters. If it happens by the same person soon again I might be with you. People do get lucky. Hell, I had an uncle that won two new Chevys in raffles 7 years apart 1957 and 1964. There is such a thing as luck.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

Last edited by FrankC on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:26 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Damn this thread. Had me thinking about it more than the questions tonight...we had around 6K without Tom. The Think Again round did us in with too much current TV. We ended up ranked 37th which isnt too bad for the 3 of us that played.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 am 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:
Damn this thread. Had me thinking about it more than the questions tonight...we had around 6K without Tom. The Think Again round did us in with too much current TV. We ended up ranked 37th which isnt too bad for the 3 of us that played.

We did do OK considering we were short at least 2 major players on our team :shock: Nice job Tim and Sarah :D , and the "difference" in flashback is definitely Biff. But we held our own with a respectable score, but with Biff we can definitely do top 20.