PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell...

November 1: U2
November 8: One Hit Wonders
November 15: Eric Clapton
November 22: Women in Country
November 29: Madonna

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: November headliners
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:56 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I will play U2 next week then done...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
I will play U2 next week then done...

U2 is a possibility. We will be at a Notre Dame game for Clapton. My wife may want to play Country Women.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I will play the first 3. I may play the last 2 if my daughter wants to, not my cup-o-tea though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mudee wrote:
I will play the first 3. I may play the last 2 if my daughter wants to, not my cup-o-tea though.

Somehow, I don't think we will see songs like "Beat Goes On/Switching To Glide" or "Jenny (867-5309)" in the One Hit Wonders game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
mudee wrote:

Somehow, I don't think we will see songs like "Beat Goes On/Switching To Glide" or "Jenny (867-5309)" in the One Hit Wonders game.

Heh, maybe there is more than a lil chance that there won't be a Katy Perry question. Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
mudee wrote:

Don't know any recent one hit wonders other that guys who brought you "The Macarena"

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:03 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

MitchWolf wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:
mudee wrote:

Don't know any recent one hit wonders other that guys who brought you "The Macarena"

Daft Punk ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm 
Himself Fodder

scar wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

Daft Punk ?

No way! I've got their Tron Legacy soundtrack from 2010!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

Daft Punk ?

They never will be one-hit wonders

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Okay, here is a recap of a Topix one-hit wonder game from this past winter, I remember driving in 10 feet of snow to play it. The way they repeat questions, I expect to see the Macy Gray question again, and yes Goyte is still a one-hit wonder..

Below is a recap of One Hit Wonders topix game. Multiple choice made this much easier since each artist only had one hit (for the most part):

1) Who had a hit in 2006 with “Crazy”? Gnarls Barkley
2) Who had a hit with “Futures So Bright, Gotta Wear Shades”? Timbuk 3 (1986)
3) Who had hit in 2011 with “Call Me Maybe”? Carly Rae Jepsen ( I called her, no answer)
4) Who had hit with “One of Us”? Joan Osborne (1996)
5) Foster the People had hit with: Pumped Up Kicks (2010)
6) Who had hit with “A Thousand Miles”? Vanessa Carlton (2002)
7) The Waitresses had a hit with: I Know What Boys Like (1982)
8) Who had hit with “Somebody That I Used to Know”? Goyte (2011)
9) Butthole Surfers had a hit with? Pepper (1996)
10) Who had hit with “Who Let the Dogs Out”? Baha Men (how did this song get on radio, 2000)
11) Daniel Powter’s lyrics, blah blah rain… Bad Day (2006)
12) Who had hit with “Wherever You Will Go” in 2001? The Calling
13) Who had hit with “Sorry” in 2007? Buckcherry (um, Crazy Bitch)
14) Who had another remake hit with “Sukiyaki”? 4 P.M. (1995)
15) What are opening lyrics to “ I Try” ? Games, changes, and fear (dammit) (2000)

Summary: 2000-2011: 10, 1990-1999: 3, 1982-1989: 2, 1900-1981: 0

Seems a little soon to call some of these folks one hit wonders, but I’m predicting they’re spot on with Goyte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
Summary: 2000-2011: 10, 1990-1999: 3, 1982-1989: 2, 1900-1981: 0

Seems a little soon to call some of these folks one hit wonders, but I’m predicting they’re spot on with Goyte

The female singer in the Gotye song didnt break out like Bruno Mars and Charlie Xcx did when their debut was featuring in others' songs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:56 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:

The female singer in the Gotye song didnt break out like Bruno Mars and Charlie Xcx did when their debut was featuring in others' songs

I guess she's just somebody that we used to know...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:39 am 
Octogenarian

So, maybe a day after I mentioned to someone that NTN really does seem to be getting better at questions and editing, we get.....I don't know what to call it....the scrambled eggs game? For a minute there, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Pyramid round from Showdown replaced the Headliner round. And then a basic repeat question for question of the headliner round from the first time they had U2? With Clapton coming around for the third time, and Madonna for a second time later this month? Is this what we have to look forward to?

You know what, Rob, that IS a light at the end of the tunnel, and the word just above it does read AMTRAK.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:04 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

craig921 wrote:

So, maybe a day after I mentioned to someone that NTN really does seem to be getting better at questions and editing, we get.....I don't know what to call it....the scrambled eggs game? For a minute there, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Pyramid round from Showdown replaced the Headliner round. And then a basic repeat question for question of the headliner round from the first time they had U2? With Clapton coming around for the third time, and Madonna for a second time later this month? Is this what we have to look forward to?

You know what, Rob, that IS a light at the end of the tunnel, and the word just above it does read AMTRAK.

I was on pace for an 81k game but missed the One being released as a charity single.

The lyrics round was strange, it was like a countdown round with the clues given to you immediately. There was only one question we didn't know, but still got 940 points out of 1000 because the clues came up so fast. Since Playback doesn't normally give clues, I have no idea how that was created. Then the lyrics round showed up in the pound round (copyright TOLLE). I kinda liked that format, they should keep that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

craig921 wrote:

The only good thing about last week's game is we got new questions.

But now buzztime is back in full repeat-o-rama mode. (Guess they're starting Thanksgiving break a little early this year :lol: :roll:)

I just wish buzztime would spend as much time & effort on their 1-hour premium games (which people are still playing, even though the numbers have been continually on the decline the past several years) as they do on their Opinion Nation games (which almost nobody is playing).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. There were a couple of brief power outages where this lil old grumpy bastard was banging away, so my first thought was that those outages hosed the Playback download. :roll:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
craig921 wrote:

I was on pace for an 81k game but missed the One being released as a charity single.

The lyrics round was strange, it was like a countdown round with the clues given to you immediately. There was only one question we didn't know, but still got 940 points out of 1000 because the clues came up so fast. Since Playback doesn't normally give clues, I have no idea how that was created. Then the lyrics round showed up in the pound round (copyright TOLLE). I kinda liked that format, they should keep that.

I kinda liked it too. However, I bet it wasn't done on purpose. I think someone fell asleep at the switch and put the wrong questions in the wrong round.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I opted out of that game, wish I would have played now. :roll: I guess we will see if they do it again. If so, I would bet it has something to do with changing the format of the game to work better with tablets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mudee wrote:
I opted out of that game, wish I would have played now. :roll: I guess we will see if they do it again. If so, I would bet it has something to do with changing the format of the game to work better with tablets.

Hmm, interesting theory! I guess we will see on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
Okay, here is a recap of a Topix one-hit wonder game from this past winter, I remember driving in 10 feet of snow to play it. The way they repeat questions, I expect to see the Macy Gray question again, and yes Goyte is still a one-hit wonder..

6) Who had hit with “A Thousand Miles”? Vanessa Carlton (2002)
10) Who had hit with “Who Let the Dogs Out”? Baha Men (how did this song get on radio, 2000)

I like "Ordinary Day" (peak #30) better than "A Thousand Miles" (peak #5). But the funny thing about that comparison is that "Who Let The Dogs Out" only peaked at #40. And a really good trivia question, their follow up song, "You All Dat" did dent the Hot 100 chart at #94.

Overall, that game actually was mostly true one hit wonders, albeit way too 2000s heavy.

I doubt they'll do better tonight. But as we all fear, they'll probably just use mostly/all repeats from that game :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Do I get bonus points for singing "My Sharona" during the break before the final question? :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
Do I get bonus points for singing "My Sharona" during the break before the final question? :P

And that was actually the 2nd worst question of the round since The Knack has had three top 40 hits, including one that peaked at #11. Definitely not a one hit wonder.

The worst question was the Vanilla Ice one. His first two hits both made the top 5 and both went gold. You could say he's a one album wonder, but not a one hit wonder.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

We were talking with a guy (who doesn't play Playback) about One Hit Wonders they missed. The song we brought up at the same time was "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace. No one could really hear us talking so I don't think this was done on purpose, but in the middle of our discussion, that song came on the jukebox. Very odd.

By the way, I once won a bottle of Night Train for knowing that bit of One Hit Wonder information. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

And that was actually the 2nd worst question of the round since The Knack has had three top 40 hits, including one that peaked at #11. Definitely not a one hit wonder.

I'm assuming Good Girls Don't is that #11 song. I can't think of another Top 40 hit for them from Get the Knack so I'm guessing I missed something from a later album or possibly I did hear it and the endorphins kicked in to mask the memory of the pain.