Post subject: May 2015 Headliners
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

May 2 - Keith Urban
May 9 - Singing the Blues
May 16 - Solo Beatles
May 23 - Jazz Legends
May 30 - Rush

Actually, these aren't half bad. I'm looking forward to May 16 and May 30.

Post subject: Re: May 2015 Headliners
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

AAAARGGGGGG!!!

RUSH - May 30, 2015 Bristow (DC Area) Jiffy Lube Live

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:04 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

Let me *ahem* Rush that straight into my calendar! About the best damn band I'm likely to see a Playback game written for

BUD wrote:
AAAARGGGGGG!!!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
AAAARGGGGGG!!!

I always expect that to happen when I'm seeing my favorite artist in concert. :x

The music gods like to have their fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Okay Craig has way too much clout, he personally requested 3 of those choices to the company last month...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 pm 
Octogenarian

Yeah, I did. Here was my reasoning in asking.....

1) Keith Urban - NTN seems to like topics about musical talent judges, and other than Harry Connick, Jr., he's about the only one left
NTN hasn't touched yet. I don't recall a specific modern country artist being asking about lately, either, and he has a reasonable amount of material to choose from.

2) The Solo Beatles - Usually once a year to 18 months, NTN gives us The Beatles as a Playback topic. Here's a slightly different spin
on that. Everything from the breakup and beyond.....lots of ground to cover yet a lot of familiar tunes and I thought people might like this.

3) Rush - My note to NTN said "no explanation needed." Well, ITunes had a sale on its site, and while I never bought anything, while streaming a few songs it occurred to me that this might be a popular choice for a topic. Can't remember a classic rock band being asked about in a while, either.

In case you're wondering, I own two Keith Urban albums (one is his Greatest Hits), two Rush CDs (again, one is a "best of"), and, well....OK, I own a bunch of McCartney CDs, Lennon solo stuff, and the Greatest Hits by George and Ringo each. I have a feeling I might not be the only one in that category, though.....there's also a lot of potential material and NTN knows how to find that question even bigger than average fans would have trouble with. So, there ya go. It'd be a very long time before I'd ask again, never did it before and I'm surprised that put all 3 choices up for May. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, and who knows they might agree. Next choice wouldn't have been popular, anyway. Jay Z (for topical balance).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. It *could* be more than a lil interesting to find out who the Playback game writers consider to be jazz legends. :roll:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just wanted to laugh at BUD....HA HA!

Buzztime love you long time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. It *could* be more than a lil interesting to find out who the Playback game writers consider to be jazz legends. :roll:

Probably someone who has been around for a couple years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:17 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

May 2 - Night Off 8-)
May 9 - Singing the Blues + Could be interesting
May 16 - Solo Beatles - Wonder if they will ask a Q about Lunch Box / Odd Sox
May 23 - Night Off
May 30 - Rush - Wouldn't Miss It!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

craig921 wrote:
Yeah, I did. Here was my reasoning in asking.....

1) Keith Urban - NTN seems to like topics about musical talent judges, and other than Harry Connick, Jr., he's about the only one left
NTN hasn't touched yet. I don't recall a specific modern country artist being asking about lately, either, and he has a reasonable amount of material to choose from.

2) The Solo Beatles - Usually once a year to 18 months, NTN gives us The Beatles as a Playback topic. Here's a slightly different spin
on that. Everything from the breakup and beyond.....lots of ground to cover yet a lot of familiar tunes and I thought people might like this.

3) Rush - My note to NTN said "no explanation needed." Well, ITunes had a sale on its site, and while I never bought anything, while streaming a few songs it occurred to me that this might be a popular choice for a topic. Can't remember a classic rock band being asked about in a while, either.

In case you're wondering, I own two Keith Urban albums (one is his Greatest Hits), two Rush CDs (again, one is a "best of"), and, well....OK, I own a bunch of McCartney CDs, Lennon solo stuff, and the Greatest Hits by George and Ringo each. I have a feeling I might not be the only one in that category, though.....there's also a lot of potential material and NTN knows how to find that question even bigger than average fans would have trouble with. So, there ya go. It'd be a very long time before I'd ask again, never did it before and I'm surprised that put all 3 choices up for May. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, and who knows they might agree. Next choice wouldn't have been popular, anyway. Jay Z (for topical balance).

For about 10 years for Topix I asked for "Swimmers of the 70s".

Didn't even get a polite no in response. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

On the way to the RUSH show.

Damn the Playback scheduler.

I'm sure Gaithersburg MD will do just great without me. There is another 1 or 2 Rush fans not going to the show tonight.

Hope someone can get a recap, like a Penguin Eh?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:08 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

All over it, BUD :D
Answer choices provided where I can remember enough of the list

1. How many members make up the Canadian rock group Rush?
3, 4, 5, 6, 7

2. Which of the following never is or was a member of Rush?
Paul Cooper, John Rutsey, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart, Geddy Lee

3. After forming Rush in 1968, the band briefly changed its name to:

4. Which member of Rush wrote the 2002 book 'Ghost Rider: Travels On the Healing Road'?

5. Which of these is not an album by rock group Rush?
(not necessarily the actual choices, but I wanted to give something to the home player here)
Grace Under Pressure, Snakes and Arrows, A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Ghost In the Machine)

6. After a five year hiatus, Rush released ______ in 2002, their 17th studio album:

7. The track 'Tom Sawyer' is featured on which 1981 Rush album?

8. In 2008, Rush made a rare TV appearance, their first in 30 years, on what show?
[some wrong answer], Canadian Idol, America's Got Talent, Saturday Night Live, The Colbert Report

9. Rush's breakthrough album '2112' is a futuristic concept based on the writings of which author?

10. This is the title of a 2004 album by rock band Rush:

FINAL. Who is the hero in the Rush song 'The Necromancer'?

Answers
1. 3

2. Paul Cooper

3. Hadrian (I was stonewalled on this question)

4. Neil Peart (after the tragic losses of his wife and daughter)

5. Ghost In the Machine (a Police album)

6. Vapor Trails

7. Moving Pictures (the leadoff track, at that)

8. The Colbert Report (the other question I missed)

9. Ayn Rand

10. Feedback (an album of cover songs)

FINAL. Prince By-Tor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thanks for the questions, they are pretty good ones, some tough even for a long time fan.

I knew all except 3 & 10. I have never heard of Hadrian? I'll have to look that one up to see where BT got this from. Then 10 which I may have got given the choices. This time period of the early/mid 2000s is my least favorite era of Rush. I don't even have that Feedback cover album.

I'm afraid the Steven Colbert Q caused Gaithersburg trouble, the other Rush fan does not watch talk shows so pretty sure they went down on that. I saw this show, great interview by Steven, he seemed to know the music quite well.

The final Q should have been easy, any old :mrgreen: fan knows Fly By Night and Caress of Steel, this other fan at Gaithersburg knows By Tor and the Snow Dog and the Necromancer but it seems they blew the final looking at the scores. Was there another choice that would have caused confusion?

Thanks for recap Penquin. You have to see this Rush tour if possible, they did a lot of songs that haven't been done for years and it was all in backwards chronological order. Great show, as always.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:27 am 
King or Queen Postalot

BUD wrote:
Thanks for the questions, they are pretty good ones, some tough even for a long time fan.

I knew all except 3 & 10. I have never heard of Hadrian? I'll have to look that one up to see where BT got this from. Then 10 which I may have got given the choices. This time period of the early/mid 2000s is my least favorite era of Rush. I don't even have that Feedback cover album.

I'm afraid the Steven Colbert Q caused Gaithersburg trouble, the other Rush fan does not watch talk shows so pretty sure they went down on that. I saw this show, great interview by Steven, he seemed to know the music quite well.

The final Q should have been easy, any old :mrgreen: fan knows Fly By Night and Caress of Steel, this other fan at Gaithersburg knows By Tor and the Snow Dog and the Necromancer but it seems they blew the final looking at the scores. Was there another choice that would have caused confusion?

Thanks for recap Penquin. You have to see this Rush tour if possible, they did a lot of songs that haven't been done for years and it was all in backwards chronological order. Great show, as always.

The answer choices for 10 were all sound engineering terms, or something like that. Only Feedback corresponded to a Rush album title. Slam dunk for me, as Summertime Blues got heavy airplay on Canadian rock stations at the time

I guessed Canadian Idol for the TV show, but had no idea. All I remember from the Final's choices is The Necromancer was offered, but Snow Dog was not. I was very pleased BT's content team chose a deep, but not obscure, question for the final, that had nothing to do with events of the last year, or some tenuous connection to Gaga/Perry :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yes, agreed, the writer put some thought into that final Q, very tough for anyone not familiar with that relatively obscure song.

All the questions in fact seem to have been written by a fan. I wonder if they contracted this game out to a new or guest writer?