All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Playback June 11th
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

2:15 eastern Thur.

RUSH
DEF LEPPARD
BLACK SABBATH

Cool stuff, sounds good...see you all on Sat. 8-)

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

Post subject: Re: Playback June 11th
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:

I am surprised that Def Leppard hasn't been used (or even been a possibiity) yet. But then again, I'm also surprised that Fleetwood Mac, Heart, etc, haven't been a possibiilty yet either.

IIRC, I think buzztime recently said they're going to outsource more questions. I don't know if it's began yet, but it could be a good thing for Playback...as it might get them to pick artists outside of their normal thought process.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:

RUSH
DEF LEPPARD
BLACK SABBATH

Where are you seeing this? I checked the Playback page on www.buzztime.com and it still has last week's topics listed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bonzo wrote:
BUD wrote:

RUSH
DEF LEPPARD
BLACK SABBATH

Where are you seeing this? I checked the Playback page on http://www.buzztime.com and it still has last week's topics listed

Same here! Maybe wishful thinking on the part of Bud?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

WOW.. those Buds must have been kicking in goooood. I swore that's what I saw listed. :lol:

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:
WOW.. those Buds must have been kicking in goooood. I swore that's what I saw listed. :lol:

Guess....do i have tell the facebook page on this too???

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:44 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:

Upper or lower case buds. Bud?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:10 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Are they still not showing the scores afterwards?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Are they still not showing the scores afterwards?

We finally got rankings after last week's game.

OTOH, this is the latest they've ever gone without posting the Headliner topics for the upcoming game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Styx, Sublime, Santana

Since I don't even know who Sublime is, my guess is it will be Sublime.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
Styx, Sublime, Santana

I just looked them up. They appear to be a skater-punk band that lasted 8 years, from 1988-1996 when one of their members died of a heroin overdose. Sounds right up the alley of the desired Buzztime audience. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:00 pm 
Centenarian

BGTUNA wrote:
Styx, Sublime, Santana

I hope it's Styx (and that I'm able to play this week).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:
Styx, Sublime, Santana

I just looked them up. They appear to be a skater-punk band that lasted 8 years, from 1988-1996 when one of their members died of a heroin overdose. Sounds right up the alley of the desired Buzztime audience. :x

Sublime reunited with new music.

http://youtu.be/QySzDXKr3JY

But since Santana got boost with guest lead singers in the past (Rob Thomas, Michelle Branch, Chad Kreoger (Nickleback), Alex Band (The Calling) and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith n American Idol), I guess thats gonna be the headliner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
Styx, Sublime, Santana

They should've popped Stone Temple Pilots or Smashing Pumpkins in there instead of Sublime (is that how hard it is to find a decent third S band?). But the first two are fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:
Styx, Sublime, Santana

They should've popped Stone Temple Pilots or Smashing Pumpkins in there instead of Sublime (is that how hard it is to find a decent third S band?). But the first two are fine.

Last year there was an entire Topix on Stone Temple Pilots so no more on them. I kinda like your idea on Smashing Pumpkins since it can include the incident with the brother of Wendy of Prince and the Revolution and other bands Pumpkins members was in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Headliner: Santana

Which Santana album was released in the 1980's?
1. Freedom
2. Shaman
3. Milago
4. Illuminations
5. Abraxas

Answer: 1. Freedom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

^Obviously, that question was still too difficult for most of the network. I know the network rankings are only preliminary, but I don't think I've ever seen a 36,000 point dropoff between the #7 and #8 location ranking. Talk about falling off a cliff.

I keep meaning to grade the quality of the Encore question on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being absolutely terrible and 10 being perfect. And this would have nothing to do with the number of players who get the question right. Just grading the quality of it. Even if the final question was, say, "Which of these songs was a top 10 hit for The Beatles?" And the answer choices were four Rolling Stones songs and "I Want To Hold Your Hand"...even though the whole world would get that question right, that would still be an absolutely terrible Encore question that I would grade as a 1. So this exercise has nothing to do with the amount of players who get the question right. Rather, it's just an evaluation of the quality of the Encore question in general.

You'd like to see buzztime get a 9 or 10 rating on this question every week. I'd even settle for a 7 or 8. But they should always strive to get something in this range.

I think I'd give this one about a 5 or a 6. It was still a minutia question (which is always bad). But what made it better was that two of the incorrect answers were albums that both hit #1, well outside of the '80s. Anyone with the slightest working knowledge of Santana could've kicked those two answers out...which leaves you with a 33% chance at getting it right.

Looking now at the chart performance of the other three albums...one peaked at #27 and went gold. The other two made very brief appearances on the charts, peaked at #95 and #102, and didn't sell many copies at all. Which is nothing more than minutia. That's a lame way to determine the outcome of a one hour game.

The rest of the game was fine. But a 5 or a 6 rating for the Encore is so-so or barely acceptable. Buzztime should strive to do better than that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 am 
Centenarian

poman wrote:
^Obviously, that question was still too difficult for most of the network. I know the network rankings are only preliminary, but I don't think I've ever seen a 36,000 point dropoff between the #7 and #8 location ranking. Talk about falling off a cliff.

I keep meaning to grade the quality of the Encore question on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being absolutely terrible and 10 being perfect. And this would have nothing to do with the number of players who get the question right. Just grading the quality of it. Even if the final question was, say, "Which of these songs was a top 10 hit for The Beatles?" And the answer choices were four Rolling Stones songs and "I Want To Hold Your Hand"...even though the whole world would get that question right, that would still be an absolutely terrible Encore question that I would grade as a 1. So this exercise has nothing to do with the amount of players who get the question right. Rather, it's just an evaluation of the quality of the Encore question in general.

You'd like to see buzztime get a 9 or 10 rating on this question every week. I'd even settle for a 7 or 8. But they should always strive to get something in this range.

I think I'd give this one about a 5 or a 6. It was still a minutia question (which is always bad). But what made it better was that two of the incorrect answers were albums that both hit #1, well outside of the '80s. Anyone with the slightest working knowledge of Santana could've kicked those two answers out...which leaves you with a 33% chance at getting it right.

Looking now at the chart performance of the other three albums...one peaked at #27 and went gold. The other two made very brief appearances on the charts, peaked at #95 and #102, and didn't sell many copies at all. Which is nothing more than minutia. That's a lame way to determine the outcome of a one hour game.

The rest of the game was fine. But a 5 or a 6 rating for the Encore is so-so or barely acceptable. Buzztime should strive to do better than that.

Nice summary, you're spot on with your analysis... However, talk to the hand, that's the writer of this game's opinion..

What I love is that we missed queston #5 and instead of an 80K game there isn't even a chance of a 70K when you get 10 of 11 of the questions...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:

Looking now at the chart performance of the other three albums...one peaked at #27 and went gold. The other two made very brief appearances on the charts, peaked at
#95 and #102, and didn't sell many copies at all. Which is nothing more than minutia. That's a lame way to determine the outcome of a one hour game.

I agree as well. Only hits song from the 80's was "Winning" from "Zebop!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:

I think I made this analogy before. The question writers for Playback are like that horrible teacher we all remember from high school or college who reveled in the fact that no one scored above a "C" on their final exam.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 am 
Banned

That was a very uncomfortable last 20 seconds for me, having looked over their album list, being pretty sure they'd had 4 studio albums in the '80's, and remembering that two of them had exotic names and two were everyday-ish ones. I told the other guys I wasn't sure there weren't two right answers up there, 1 & 4, but obviously I was wrong about that. Got lucky with my guess.

Incidentally, we got screwed out of five questions in the first round, for some unknown reason the game went away after five and then started up in round 2. Count your blessings, I guess. Wouldn't have gotten us second place, but we would've been pretty close. Congrats to Fletcher's and Getaway. p.s., #3 is 'Milagro.' Like the beanfield.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

mr_ale wrote:
That was a very uncomfortable last 20 seconds for me, having looked over their album list, being pretty sure they'd had 4 studio albums in the '80's, and remembering that two of them had exotic names and two were everyday-ish ones. I told the other guys I wasn't sure there weren't two right answers up there, 1 & 4, but obviously I was wrong about that. Got lucky with my guess.

Incidentally, we got screwed out of five questions in the first round, for some unknown reason the game went away after five and then started up in round 2. Count your blessings, I guess. Wouldn't have gotten us second place, but we would've been pretty close. Congrats to Fletcher's and Getaway. p.s., #3 is 'Milagro.' Like the beanfield.

I was deciding between 1 and 4 also and made the right choice. However, in the "Go Pound Sand" round, after the first three questions, I told my wife, "watch, I won't be able to answer any of the remaining questions"...and I didn't, chosing zeros over -250s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

I thought that game was particularly brutal. Crackhead and I did miserably on it.

In our defense, they had Hooters Snow Angels on the TV next to the trivia screen, and we'd not yet had our first beer.

Oh, and I know virtually nothing about Santana, other than knowing how to play some of his songs, which wasn't particularly helpful :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:10 am 
Golden Tee Master

Dante wrote:
I thought that game was particularly brutal. Crackhead and I did miserably on it.

In our defense, they had Hooters Snow Angels on the TV next to the trivia screen, and we'd not yet had our first beer.

Oh, and I know virtually nothing about Santana, other than knowing how to play some of his songs, which wasn't particularly helpful :)

Guess they don't have Santana on Netflix yet. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Headliner: Santana
(paraphrased, as usual)

Q1: All of these songs were recorded by Santana except: (Oye Como Va, Evil Ways, Black Magic Woman, No One To Depend On, LOWRIDER)

Q2: Carlos Santana grew up in: (MEXICO)

Q3: What object graces the cover of the 1969 Santana album: (A LION)

Q4: Michelle Branch sang vocals on this Santana song: (THE GAME OF LOVE)

Q5: A painting of The Annunciation is on the cover of which Santana album from 1970: (ABRAXAS)

Q6: In 1973, Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie left Santana to form: (JOURNEY)

Q7: “Maria Maria” is found on the same Santana album as this song: (SMOOTH)

Q8: The vocals on “Maria Maria” are sung by: (WYCLEF JEAN)

[This is a recycled question, with an incorrect answer. The correct answer is The Product G&B, who were associated with Wyclef Jean]

Q9: Santana recorded a cover version of which song by The Zombies: (SHE’S NOT THERE)

Q10: Santana has won Grammy awards in all of these categories except: (BEST NEW ARTIST)