All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1/28/2012
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:06 pm 
Octogenarian

The Headliner for January 28 will be one of the following:

* Lady Gaga
* Lady Antebellum
* Taylor Swift

Ya know, it feels like it was just 5 minutes ago that we got done sucking at the previous game.

I do have a feeling there will be a lot of kids invited to our Saturday night trivia gathering.
Our assistant manager Meg might come in handy, too.

Post subject: Re: 1/28/2012
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

craig921 wrote:

Ya know, it feels like it was just 5 minutes ago that we got done sucking at the previous game.

Didn't you guys win the Katy Perry game? :lol:

This definitely throws a log on the fire of the "target demographic" argument. Can't understand why they'd pop in a same artist specific headliner two times in a row :?

Other than it means said Headliner will be the pick :cry:

I actually met Lady Antebellum a year before their debut country single hit the charts. I could tell after listening to them for all of two minutes that they were going to hit it big.

Of course, I liked them a lot better before hearing "Need You Now" for the one millionth time :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
The Headliner for January 28 will be one of the following:

* Lady Gaga
* Lady Antebellum
* Taylor Swift

I do have a feeling there will be a lot of kids invited to our Saturday night trivia gathering.
Our assistant manager Meg might come in handy, too.

Um, you cleaned the slate on Katy Perry, you even knew who Rebecca Black was. Isn't Lady Gaga along the same lines?

Anyways, I do not feel any of the three deserve to be headliners, Taylor Swift especially. All she sings about is falling for guys, and then follows up with songs on how they left her..She must be doing something wrong in bed :)

At least choices aren't Jay-Z, Lil Jon, or T.I. (I wouldn't play)... I hope NTN took notice of the upwards spike in # of players when the "classic" choices were offered last week. It may have been a coincidence, but maybe not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:54 pm 
Octogenarian

***Anyways, I do not feel any of the three deserve to be headliners, Taylor Swift especially. All she sings about is falling for guys, and then follows up with songs on how they left her..She must be doing something wrong in bed ***

I really need to get the hang of that quote mechanism. The above was from Clark.

I swear you and Mike (one of our team members) could be brothers. Sounds like something he would say. He'll be on a beach in the Caribbean soaking up the sun and missing all the fun.

Randy answered the most Katy Perry questions that week, although I do like some of her songs. I helped on "maybe" one. And while I do like individual Taylor Swift and Lady Antebellum tunes, I can't be considered an expert on either.....I don't watch the videos although I may need to start, and I'd be hit/miss on lyrics. Lady Gaga....if other folks like her and her music, that's great, but I've tried and I just don't go for her stuff. And she looks like one of those subject that you could give me a month to "study up", read, check out her videos, etc, and it'll all go in one ear and run screaming in terror out the other.

I have to say, though, even though she's had only three studio albums, there's more than enough material to fill 11 music trivia related questions. They could do that with just her exes....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
***Anyways, I do not feel any of the three deserve to be headliners, Taylor Swift especially. All she sings about is falling for guys, and then follows up with songs on how they left her..She must be doing something wrong in bed ***

I really need to get the hang of that quote mechanism. The above was from Clark.

I swear you and Mike (one of our team members) could be brothers. Sounds like something he would say. He'll be on a beach in the Caribbean soaking up the sun and missing all the fun.

Randy answered the most Katy Perry questions that week, although I do like some of her songs. I helped on "maybe" one. And while I do like individual Taylor Swift and Lady Antebellum tunes, I can't be considered an expert on either.....I don't watch the videos although I may need to start, and I'd be hit/miss on lyrics. Lady Gaga....if other folks like her and her music, that's great, but I've tried and I just don't go for her stuff. And she looks like one of those subject that you could give me a month to "study up", read, check out her videos, etc, and it'll all go in one ear and run screaming in terror out the other.

I have to say, though, even though she's had only three studio albums, there's more than enough material to fill 11 music trivia related questions. They could do that with just her exes....

Fun??? 11 questions on any of those three will not be fun....I did check out a few Lady Gaga videos when she was a choice a few weeks ago, and they're unusual to say the least...Wonder if she'll have any staying power (like what's-her-name from the great state up north)....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:12 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I thought this was a rehash of the choices from two weeks ago!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
I did check out a few Lady Gaga videos when she was a choice a few weeks ago, and they're unusual to say the least...

Yeah. I had never heard "Marry The Night" until last game when I flipped on Music Choice On Demand and noticed the video was in the rotation. After selecting the video (not reading the preview), I soon realized that the video was...13 minutes long! You could hear me mumbling "get to the @#$%^& @#$%^ song already!"

On the bright side, if a question about the video comes up this week...maybe I'll get it right :lol:

clark wrote:
Wonder if she'll have any staying power (like what's-her-name from the great state up north)....

Well, if she keeps finding ways to sell her album for 99 cents during its debut week... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Yeah. I had never heard "Marry The Night" until last game when I flipped on Music Choice On Demand and noticed the video was in the rotation. After selecting the video (not reading the preview), I soon realized that the video was...13 minutes long! You could hear me mumbling "get to the @#$%^& @#$%^ song already!"

You're all welcome :mrgreen:

Wonder what would've happened if I posted that in the old buzztime forums, would they have scrambled to change that question or would they have still left that Q in there anyway? Obviously we'll never know.

It looks like Q5 and Encore torpedo'd almost everyone's scores anyway, especially after the top 10 and downward. The rest of the round was very mild (thank god), but those two Q's were brutal if you had no working knowledge of that subject matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:09 pm 
Centenarian

poman wrote:
poman wrote:

Wonder what would've happened if I posted that in the old buzztime forums, would they have scrambled to change that question or would they have still left that Q in there anyway? Obviously we'll never know.

It looks like Q5 and Encore torpedo'd almost everyone's scores anyway, especially after the top 10 and downward. The rest of the round was very mild (thank god), but those two Q's were brutal if you had no working knowledge of that subject matter.

That is funny, you posted the final answer for the question prior to the game!! Nice game, first heavy metal, now Lady GaGa, you folks are versatile :) I pushed a wrong button in headliner round, must have been question #2 which knocked about 8000 off our lead board. Thank goodness it had no impact on team outcome or I would have been rather grumpy...

Okay, how about Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, or Tool next week.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:16 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

focus wrote:
poman wrote:
poman wrote:

That is funny, you posted the final answer for the question prior to the game!! Nice game, first heavy metal, now Lady GaGa, you folks are versatile :) I pushed a wrong button in headliner round, must have been question #2 which knocked about 8000 off our lead board. Thank goodness it had no impact on team outcome or I would have been rather grumpy...

Will probably be Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum or Brittany Spears with the way things are going...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:

Will probably be Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum or Brittany Spears with the way things are going...[/quote]

That will be in two weeks. After next weeks "Hits of 2010", "Hits of 2011", or "Hits of 2013". ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Thankfully they had a question on the only Lady Gaga trivia I know...where she got her stage name. The Mrs. insisted that we play...and she didn't know that bit of trivia.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

focus wrote:
poman wrote:
poman wrote:

Next game is generic topics ..... Political Songs, Protest Songs and American Pride is what it could be.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:

Next game is generic topics ..... Political Songs, Protest Songs and American Pride is what it could be.

What it should be is something Super Bowl related. If it was artist specific, then this year it should be Madonna.

If it's generic, then it should just be something Super Bowl related. One year, it could be a "Super" game. Another year it could be just general music questions about artists who performed at the Super Bowl. And so on.

But since buzztime is too busy dividing the nation instead of keeping it together [bad pun intended], BGTUNA is right, it'll be something more like Hits Of 2013 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

http://22066.vws.magma.ca/trivia/trivi768.htm

Here's the Encore question and answers and Headliner round.

I must have read POMAN's post about three times during the week but didn't think of it at all when the Encore came up. Maybe it was
in the back of my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I was glad that they threw me a bone and actually had an Asia question this week!

Speaking of which, when does Prog Rock finally get its due?