New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Playback - April 14, 2012 (Black and White)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 pm 
Centenarian

Headliner Choices:

Nature
Colors
Black and White

Even if it's Colors, be ready for Black and White...

Last edited by focus on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Playback - April 14, 2012
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Working a double shift this week....so I won't be playing.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Who directed Michael Jackson's "Black Or White" video?

1. Bob Giraldi
2. John Singleton
3. John Landis
4. Joe Pytka
5. Martin Scorsese

Be Careful :lol:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jWdB9ZPccY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

As I was mowing the lawn, I was trying to think of all of the questions that WON'T be included if Black and White is chosen.

Black and White by Three Dog Night
Black Betty by Ram Jam
Back in Black
the Beatles White Album
White Room by Cream
Black Magic Woman
White City by Pete Townshend...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
As I was mowing the lawn, I was trying to think of all of the questions that WON'T be included if Black and White is chosen.

The song was inspired by the United States Supreme Court decision of Brown v. Board of Education that outlawed racial segregation of public schools. The original folk song was first recorded by Sammy Davis Jr. in 1957.[1] The original lyrics of the song opened with this verse, in reference to the court:
Their robes were black, Their heads were white, The schoolhouse doors were closed so tight, Nine judges all set down their names, To end the years and years of shame.

I didn't know this before I looked it up. Any EASY question can be made more difficult with the level of detail they put into it.

Like what group did the guitar player of RamJam play for before he joined the group? Answer: The Lemon Pipers
Who wrote Black Betty? Answer: Leadbelly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I'll be looking for Two Against Nature by Steely Dan, Color Him Father by the Winstons, Colour My World by Chicago, True Colors by Cyndi Lauper, Red Rubber Ball by Cyrkle, Mellow Yellow by Donovan, Yellow Submarine by the Beatles, Green Tambourine by the Lemon Pipers, Green Grass by Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Gimme Good Lovin' by Blue Elephant, Song Sung Blue by Neil Diamond, something by Blue Cheer or Blue Oyster Cult (Don't Fear the Reaper), maybe even a song or CD by Green Day. But don't forget my all-time favorite music video, China by the Red Rockers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. How about...

"A Natural Man", Lou Rawls.
"Alone Again (Naturally)", Gilbert O'Sullivan.
"Natural High", Bloodstone
"(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman", Aretha Franklin

Artists with colors as their names/nicknames.

<--not that I'm planning to keep my poor tired lil old grumpy ass out that late to bang away at an FSPLIT game, anyway...

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

BGTUNA wrote:

Black Betty by Ram Jam
Back in Black
the Beatles White Album
White Room by Cream
Black Magic Woman
White City by Pete Townshend...

But I have no doubt there would be questions about Rebecca Black and the White Stripes :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
But I have no doubt there would be questions about Rebecca Black and the White Stripes :?

And a Pink Friday Roman Reloaded question, which I only found about today 'cause I happened to read it in the paper :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

We weren't hooked up to the Network tonight....that was at The Unicorn....after a stuggle getting there with walking, streetcar, subway, bus with five minutes to spare coming straight from a soccer game. We had the 'Women in Rock' headliner again.

Could someone please post the Encore question and answer and as many Headliners as you can remember? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Rocket Robin wrote:
We weren't hooked up to the Network tonight....that was at The Unicorn....after a stuggle getting there with walking, streetcar, subway, bus with five minutes to spare coming straight from a soccer game. We had the 'Women in Rock' headliner again.

Could someone please post the Encore question and answer and as many Headliners as you can remember? Thanks.

Category was Black and White

Encore was "what is the name of The Black Keys 2011 release".

Only remember 2 choices: 3) El Camino and 4) Odyssey. Unfortunately for me, the answer was El Camino...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Rocket Robin wrote:

Category was Black and White

Encore was "what is the name of The Black Keys 2011 release".

Only remember 2 choices: 3) El Camino and 4) Odyssey. Unfortunately for me, the answer was El Camino...

There was a question about the Beatles "Blackbird", as well as one about, get this, "Black and White". :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:27 am 
Centenarian

Rocket Robin wrote:

I"m mostly drawing a blank, but here are a few:

All of these are albums by Whitesnake, except: Spreading the Disease (sorry about that POMAN)

Who performed a song about Black Friday? Steely Dan

Who had an album called Black Rain? AC/DC

Who had an album called Black and White? The Hives

There was kind of a cruel question in the # round about who was convicted in 2008 to a 25 year prison term. First choice was Phil Spector which we jumped on and stayed with. Correct answer was Lou Pearlman.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

focus wrote:

All of these are albums by Whitesnake, except: Spreading the Disease (sorry about that POMAN)

While I should've realized it was Anthrax, my pet peeve with buzztime is when they throw redundant hints in the question. I wish they phrased the question how you wrote it. Buzztime actually wrote it 'All Of These Are Whitesnake albums of the 1980s except'... Last week, they had a question that said all of these are 'Styx songs of the 1980s except'... And last week, the five choices were all Styx songs (even if only three of them were from the 1980s :roll: ). So this week, I was thinking that all five choices were Whitesnake albums...and we were trying to figure out which one wasn't from the 1980s. There was one on the list that barely made the cut (released during the final weeks of 1989). When I saw that question, I was thinking that album was from 1990 or 1991, so because of the "hint" we went with that one. The sad thing is when we were debating what to pick I was thinking to myself 'I've never heard of a Whitesnake album called "Spreading The Disease."' But again, because of the "hint," I was assuming that all five choices were Whitesnake albums.

focus wrote:
There was kind of a cruel question in the # round about who was convicted in 2008 to a 25 year prison term. First choice was Phil Spector which we jumped on and stayed with. Correct answer was Lou Pearlman.

Yeah, we jumped on that at first too, but then switched to Pearlman for 250.

The other tough one was Yoko Ono. We just assumed Cher. When the answer was revealed, one of our guys said "buzztime must've keyed in that answer choice incorrectly" :lol: But once the answer revealed, I remembered off the top of my head that Ono had a couple of #1 dance hits within the past five years or so. Didn't realize she had that many. But it's always more clear after the haze has lifted :lol:

A couple of other headliner questions:

"Black Coffee In Bed" (Squeeze)

"A White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustacean" (LILJOL's favorite :lol: )

Post subject: Re: Playback - April 14, 2012 (Black and White)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:11 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Congratulations to UPYURS at Elsa's Cantina in Dayton, OH for #1 individual rank and Fletcher's for their usual #1 bar rank. At Varsity Bar and Grill in Tallahassee, FL, Slam, Scots, Kendo, and TPG and I walk in right after the end of the Garnet and Gold Spring FSU football game. The place is still rowdy with loud jukebox rap and country music and hockey fans beating on the bar in appreciation for their favorite teams' goals. We're sitting at adjacent tables and have to give hand signals since we can't hear each other.
In the headliner round I first miss A Cut with White World or something like that as a cut from "Mechanical Animals" by Marilyn Manson, one wrong answer I won't lose any sleep over. I then miss the Whitesnake question and finally the last one I can't remember. With intermittent misses I can't get a QB1 like consecutive calls string going and am 29K going into the final question. Slam only misses the Marilyn Manson question and is 38K going into the final question which is the Black Keys 2011 release is called... I immediately know it is El Camino. "Howlin' for You" Lonely (Something) and "Gold on the Ceiling" played constantly throughout the NCAA basketball tournament are cuts I hear daily on ALT rock 101.5 FM in Tallahassee. They also were on Digital Cable Channel UHD 409 with a concert video last weekend. I tell Slam and Scots what a quality CD it is and recommend they give a listen.
From the # round I'm not even going to look up in Wikipedia the justification for the rocker's wife who had a string of 7 #1 dance hits from 2007 to 2011. It wasn't Tina Turner or Cher. We're aghast at the correct answer, Yoko Ono. Were they #1 hits here or in Japan?
We are #14 on the network rankings last night but move up to #11 today as Buzztime has informed three locations with guests playing, "Our secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions."

Post subject: Re: Playback - April 14, 2012 (Black and White)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The Marilyn Manson question was HORRIBLY written. The question had said something about "he" or "his", and the rest of the acts were groups. Once I saw that, I said, "it has to be Marilyn Manson."