New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Playback April 26 2014 (80s Rock) 6069 boxes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tonight could have the most players for Playback in the last year if not 2 years.
Anyone know what the high number of players was over the last year?

I have heard many players who don't play on Sat. often are coming out tonight for 80s rock.

Hoping for a top 10 at BWW Gaithersburg.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

Last edited by BUD on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Playback April 26 2014 (80s Rock)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:03 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Was a good game tonight. I couldn't remember if dude looks like a lady was on toys in the attic or permanent vacation. I opted for toys and my daughter, PANDAA, took perm vac. She ended up with a respectable 53130 and 4th in the west. We did go 10 for 10 on the headliner. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I liked the Rolling Stones question where none of the answer choices were 80s songs :roll:

On the other except question, none of the albums for that artist in the choices were 80s albums. But at least the correct answer was an 80s album. So that one still loosely fit the category.

As usual buzztime gets a sick pleasure by slotting the toughest question in the round in Q5 so that they can kill everyone's scores, save CLARK's crew (nice going!). I have no problem with that question being asked, but it should be in the Q10 spot since that's the highest scoring question, it should be the most difficult question. But buzztime will never get it and/or they just don't care.

Well mudde, I see you also got it right before tripping across the finish line, sorry. My team also had an awkward moment where Player #1 locked the answer as Permanent Vacation while Player #2 locked the answer as Get A Grip, and the rest of the team didn't know what to do with that. It's got to be very rare when teammates lock the answer as 100% correct and they're disagreeing on the answer.

Player #3 had the most correct answer. He went to New Orleans Jazz Fest this weekend. Where we all wish we were instead :)

Hopefully they'll do 90s Rock next month. Especially since Player #4 loaded up the jukebox with 90s Rock
songs immediately after Playback finished :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Question 5 was the only one we didn't get. Even the bar owner, a metal head, didn't know Tommy Lee's last name.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:30 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

We got the Tommy Lee's name question across the board but managed to forget who was kicked out of Metallica. 1 or 2 boxes may have been on it when no one could call that one.

We laughed about the same non 80s questions poman mentioned, the Stones were active in the 80s so of course that is close enough.

BWW Gaithersburg MD had 20 boxes in play, the most I've seen there ever, in their short history.

We can now wait till Friday to see what next month brings.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:01 pm 
Octogenarian

I liked the Rolling Stones question where none of the answer choices were 80s songs :roll:

On the other except question, none of the albums for that artist in the choices were 80s albums. But at least the correct answer was an 80s album. So that one still loosely fit the category.

As usual buzztime gets a sick pleasure by slotting the toughest question in the round in Q5 so that they can kill everyone's scores, save CLARK's crew (nice going!). I have no problem with that question being asked, but it should be in the Q10 spot since that's the highest scoring question, it should be the most difficult question. But buzztime will never get it and/or they just don't care.

Well mudde, I see you also got it right before tripping across the finish line, sorry. My team also had an awkward moment where Player #1 locked the answer as Permanent Vacation while Player #2 locked the answer as Get A Grip, and the rest of the team didn't know what to do with that. It's got to be very rare when teammates lock the answer as 100% correct and they're disagreeing on the answer.

Player #3 had the most correct answer. He went to New Orleans Jazz Fest this weekend. Where we all wish we were instead :)

Hopefully they'll do 90s Rock next month. Especially since Player #4 loaded up the jukebox with 90s Rock
songs immediately after Playback finished :lol:

Hey, Rob, look, I'll cede the post of Playback expert/maven to you as you do post far more than I'd even consider myself. But.....
Questions #5 & #6 are really worth the most. The way NTN scores this is sorta in the form of a parabola. You answer Q #1, well, that's gets you your 1000. As you move toward the center of the bonus round, the questions become more valuable, or, another way to look at it, you get docked more for missing a question right smack dab in the middle of the bonus round than you would if you missed either the first or last question of the round. So, while in one way your statement of Q #10 being the most valuable point wise might be kinda correct, you'd rather miss that one than #2,#3,#4,#5,#6,#7,#8,#9. I've also had 2 beers in the past hour thus I could be talking out of my behind.

I attended C2E2 in Chicago yesterday, thus, I was spared the pain of trying to remember what Tommy Lee's real name was. Actually, I would have played, except I finished getting the autographs I wanted at about 2:25 EST, but then I couldn't locate where I'd parked my car. I spent over 5 hours trying to find it. On a related note, the last celebrity I spoke to was the woman in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Rlgu4L9J4

I swear this girl has the same power over me that ....that gizmo Will Smith uses in those Men In Black movies.
Just one click N' flash and I can't can't even remember my name, what planet I'm currently on, etc. If she wasn't such a charming
and sweet human being I'd be kinda pissed right now. As it stands it must be my fault.

Last edited by craig921 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

^I had no idea who Jaime Murray was until you posted that (and I'm supposed to be our team's country person :oops: ) but that's pretty cool - congrats! It sure beats playing Playback :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
, but then I couldn't locate where I'd parked my car. I spent over 5 hours trying to find it.

Wow, just hiding your car will keep you from playing on Saturday nights. I never thought of trying that on you...

Based on my calculations, which could be suspect, here are last round penalties for the total score (assuming 50% bet on last question):

Miss #1 or #10 = 5250
Miss #2 or # 9 = 8250
Miss # 3 or #8 = 10500
Miss # 4 or #7 = 12000
Miss #5 or # 6 = 12750 (not recommended)

More astonishing is if you miss two questions, such as #3 and #8 or # 4 and #8 (also not recommended).

Compared to missing two in other rounds:

49 of 51 correct - misses in 1st round = 82,875
49 of 51 correct - misses in 2nd round = 81,375
49 of 51 correct - misses in 3rd or 4th round = 80,625
49 of 51 correct - misses # 4 and # 8 of headliner = 66,375

I only bring this up because the first 40 questions are a good mix with a lot of moderately tough questions thrown in. The headliner questions usually suck, with repeats, wrong answers, mis-programmed answers, Justin Bieber answers, etc..But I do know Tommy Bass rocks :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
..But I do know Tommy Bass rocks :)

I have a couple questions, Your (Playback) Majesty.

1) Is that the name he uses in his sex tape?

2) If so, is that why you got it right? ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:03 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

6069 boxes for 80s Rock. How does that stack up over the last year? Has anyone been keeping those numbers? Don Denton doesn't keep that stat but does have loads of fine info.

Wins this year:
Fletcher's Kalamazoo 7
Elsa's Dayton 4
Getaway Pittsburgh 4
BWW Gaithersburg 1
Walsh's Westmont 1

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 am 
Himself Fodder

BUD wrote:
6069 boxes for 80s Rock. How does that stack up over the last year? Has anyone been keeping those numbers? Don Denton doesn't keep that stat but does have loads of fine info.

Problem is you can't really use that number for comparison purposes unless you simply write it down once a week. That is the total number of boxes in operation but that's also the only place that number appears. All other stats are the number of P+ accounts being played.

The way I have always compared data is from the account of a player who shows up each and every week. Just look at his/her scores for that game and it shows their rank and total number of players. Again, this number is only the P+ players in that particular split.

So if you take one of the PB regs and look at the stats, you'll see that the number of players for the 80's game is nothing out of the ordinary.

I toyed with the idea of playing, but then realized I'd have to sit through 30 (or so) questions that I had zero interest in seeing just to get to what I consider the good stuff. But that's just my opinion, not knocking the material in the least.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well I was hoping that some Playback god did keep track of the total boxes each week but maybe not. Where is Badbob? :)

Total registered this week was 2990 in the east vs 5199 so 2209 guests. Seems like a high number of non registered but maybe the 80s theme did draw them to play. Looking at P+ only, yes, 2990 east was not very good at all, Feb 22nd & Mar 1st beat that easily.

Still holding out for total box number comparisons.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

Post subject: Re: Playback April 26 2014 (80s Rock) 6069 boxes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FWIW, I did jot down the numbers last week for the Pharrell Williams game. It was 4900 East and 1000 West so 5900 total. Or, as BO said, not much difference.

Btw, they're not advertising the actual topics for Topix / Trendalicious / Playback on the screens anymore so I would guess the majority of players don't even know what the topic is going into the game... but who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Yeah, Blake Shelton and Drummers beat 80s Rock pretty bad in P+ boxes.

I can see Shelton doing good as well as the 2 other country choices and drummers and it's 2 other choices were basically a Rock and Roll headliner.

LET'S GO ....Orioles!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:03 pm 
Himself Fodder

Am fairly certain the headliner makes little to no difference in the amount of play. For the most part, people play to play the game. After all, only 25% of the game is about the headliner. In my opinion, if BT hadn't tweaked the format to include the pound round and the headliner, overall play would be much higher. The game is simply not as good as it once was.

For what it's worth, the 3/22 game where Lourde beat out Lana del Ray and Miley Cyrus as the crappy headliners had slightly more play than the 4/12 game featuring duets.