All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: May 2017 Headliners
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

May 6 - Motley Crue
May 13 - Electronic Dance Music
May 20 - Linkin Park
May 27 - Motown

Looks like another month of no must plays. May 6 is a maybe.

Post subject: Re: May 2017 Headliners
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Are there any song titles or artists for electronic dance music?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:40 pm 
U > 100 * 2

BGTUNA wrote:

Yes, there are song titles and artists. Some of the top artists are:

Tiësto
Daft Punk
Avicii
Deadmau5
Skrillex
Calvin Harris
Swedish House Mafia
Diplo
David Guetta

The only reason that I know this is that Merkin assigned me "Current Music" for the Category round of Showdown next week. Yesterday I knew nothing about current music and today I wish I didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gypsy wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

Yes, there are song titles and artists. Some of the top artists are:

Tiësto
Daft Punk
Avicii
Deadmau5
Skrillex
Calvin Harris
Swedish House Mafia
Diplo
David Guetta

The only reason that I know this is that Merkin assigned me "Current Music" for the Category round of Showdown next week. Yesterday I knew nothing about current music and today I wish I didn't.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I guess my question is, would someone who listens to electronic dance music be sitting in a bar or BWW on a Saturday night playing a trivia game about EDM? It seems to me that they would be at a bar dancing to EDM.

Is Buzztime still trying to attract an audience that isn't there?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 am 
U > 100 * 2

BGTUNA wrote:

I wouldn't think people into EDM would frequent BWW, either. But this is coming from a girl who knows as many Rancid lyrics as Johnny Horton lyrics, and while I have purple hair and ride a motorcycle, Sinatra is among my absolute favorites. (I do, however, get some funny lyrics when I'm all leathered up on my blacked-out Road Glide, singing along to Chicago or Ceelo.) I also know that I am not normal and attempting to market anything to me would be a mistake.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of players versus the demographics of those writing the questions. I'm usually one of the youngest when I'm playing and I just turned 39. One of my friends looked into a job at NTN and said it didn't pay well. So the question writers may skew a bit younger than their audience.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
I guess my question is, would someone who listens to electronic dance music be sitting in a bar or BWW on a Saturday night playing a trivia game about EDM? It seems to me that they would be at a bar dancing to EDM.

I don't think so. I actually think the Playback game has shown a marked improvement over the last year or 18 months. I think whoever is writing it now is doing a very good job.

Also, not coincidentally, over the last 12-18 months, buzztime has done a much better job listening to player feedback. Whether its on here, their web page (where you can submit suggestions/feedback), facebook, Twitter, etc, they're listening.

Two of the headliners this month are from Clark's long list of suggestions. If you don't like the headliners, give them some suggestions. Are they going to give you everything you ask for, no, but they have been pretty accommodating since they really started focusing on player feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

I don't think so. I actually think the Playback game has shown a marked improvement over the last year or 18 months. I think whoever is writing it now is doing a very good job.

Also, not coincidentally, over the last 12-18 months, buzztime has done a much better job listening to player feedback. Whether its on here, their web page (where you can submit suggestions/feedback), facebook, Twitter, etc, they're listening.

Two of the headliners this month are from Clark's long list of suggestions. If you don't like the headliners, give them some suggestions. Are they going to give you everything you ask for, no, but they have been pretty accommodating since they really started focusing on player feedback.

I do agree. The questions in the rest of the rounds do seem to have gotten better. I was just questioning some of their headliners. I might play Motley Crue and Motown as I can do a pretty good job of faking them and getting at least half of the questions correct. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think that something like EDM would have such a small specialized fanbase that it wouldn't attract many players and would cause some players (such as myself and my wife) to find something else to do. (Like host a poker game. 8-) ) I will take your suggestion and suggest some potential headliners to them. I'm still waiting for Zamfir.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Here are some of the suggestions I sent...

Progressive Rock
Yacht Rock (this is really becoming popular again for some odd reason)
Concept Albums
One Hit Wonders (from a specific decade) They did One Hit Wonders in a general sense not long ago
Sappy 70's Songs
The Brothers Gibb

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 pm 
U > 100 * 2

"Yacht Rock" sent me to Google.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:00 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Perry Como!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:01 pm 
Centenarian

BGTUNA wrote:

:raises hand: ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:08 pm 
Centenarian

Regarding tonight's EDM themed Playback game, I expect a bunch of very low group total scores.

It reminds me of the time when NTN came out with a Topix game about 12-15 years ago. The subject: techno music. Needless to say, the Top-20 location and individual scores were among the lowest I ever saw for a Topix game.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
Regarding tonight's EDM themed Playback game, I expect a bunch of very low group total scores.

It reminds me of the time when NTN came out with a Topix game about 12-15 years ago. The subject: techno music. Needless to say, the Top-20 location and individual scores were among the lowest I ever saw for a Topix game.

We've certainly seen lower leaderboard scores. If they would've asked only songs from the EDM charts that didn't cross over to the pop/top 40, that would've lowered the bar considerably. Since most of what they asked was pop crossover, that at least kept scores somewhat afloat.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

No offense to anyone, but I don't want to play a game that requires me to do research. I do enough of that for my job that I don't want to do it for something that is supposed to be fun. I'll leave the EDM to you all and wait for Yacht Rock. :lol: ;) :D :P

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
No offense to anyone, but I don't want to play a game that requires me to do research. I do enough of that for my job that I don't want to do it for something that is supposed to be fun. I'll leave the EDM to you all and wait for Yacht Rock. :lol: ;) :D :P

Well, it largely didn't require research. It did require you to turn on the radio every so often.

Q1 was The Chainsmokers - Paris. The song peaked at #6 on the Hot 100, and #3 on the top40 airplay chart.

Q2 was Let Me Love You - DJ Snake & Justin Bieber. The song peaked at #4 on the Hot 100, and #2 on the top 40 airplay chart.

Now are those songs you like listening to? Probably not. I don't either.

But that doesn't mean they're not fair game for trivia questions. Songs in the popular domain, whether we like them or not, are very much fair game for music trivia.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

Well, it largely didn't require research. It did require you to turn on the radio every so often.

Q1 was The Chainsmokers - Paris. The song peaked at #6 on the Hot 100, and #3 on the top40 airplay chart.

Q2 was Let Me Love You - DJ Snake & Justin Bieber. The song peaked at #4 on the Hot 100, and #2 on the top 40 airplay chart.

Now are those songs you like listening to? Probably not. I don't either.

But that doesn't mean they're not fair game for trivia questions. Songs in the popular domain, whether we like them or not, are very much fair game for music trivia.

Trust me, as much as I listen to EDM, I'd have to research. :P