It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Playback, April 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Phil Collins
R.E.M.
Billy Joel

Interesting combo of bridesmaids. The one that doesn't really fit is R.E.M. which is why it is my prediction.

Post subject: Re: Playback, April 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:59 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

They already had Billy Joel so don't think it will be that one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Somebody at buzztime really loves Billy Joel :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Nomar wrote:
They already had Billy Joel so don't think it will be that one.

And I ace that 2 months ago.

this was Rocket Robin's recap of that:

http://22066.vws.magma.ca/trivi669.htm

So since Billy Joel was chosen over Phil Collins, its going be Phil.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Billy Joel has now been replaced with Bryan Adams in the list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bonzo wrote:

As they should.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:26 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
Bonzo wrote:

As they should.

I think it will be Phil Collins. REM is too similar to Pearl Jam (alternative rock), and they tend to not repeat the same headliner genres in back-to-back weeks (specific artist weeks).

That said, Phil Collins is kind of boring trivia wise, unless you include his Genesis days...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

That Beatles question was one of the worst questions buzzztime has ever written.

The question said something like, "which Beatle had the longest running #1 hit as a solo artist?"

McCartney was the answer buzztime wanted, because his duets with Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder each spent 6+ weeks at #1. But those aren't solo hits. They're duets.

I would've missed it anyway 'cause I was on Harrison. I knew "My Sweet Lord" spent 4 weeks at #1.

It looks like Lennon should've been the correct answer. He had a true solo hit that spent 5 weeks at #1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:40 am 
Centenarian

poman wrote:
That Beatles question was one of the worst questions buzzztime has ever written.

The question said something like, "which Beatle had the longest running #1 hit as a solo artist?"

McCartney was the answer buzztime wanted, because his duets with Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder each spent 6+ weeks at #1. But those aren't solo hits. They're duets.

I would've missed it anyway 'cause I was on Harrison. I knew "My Sweet Lord" spent 4 weeks at #1.

It looks like Lennon should've been the correct answer. He had a true solo hit that spent 5 weeks at #1.

The Billboard book gives McCartney credit for Say Say Say as a solo act, but I agree it was a duet.. I also went with Harrison, forgetting that Lennon's Starting Over was #1 for that long...His dying probably helped the popularity of that song...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I did amazingly well on the R.E.M. questions, despite the fact that in true Buzztime fashion, they focused on post-1990 R.E.M. and had very few questions about their glory days as a college band (when I listened to the the most).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

focus wrote:
poman wrote:

The Billboard book gives McCartney credit for Say Say Say as a solo act, but I agree it was a duet.. I also went with Harrison, forgetting that Lennon's Starting Over was #1 for that long...His dying probably helped the popularity of that song...
Ah, IIRC, The Whitburn gives credit to each artist separately of what they consider to be a non-regular duo (which would appear to be correct in both cases). :roll:

That said, I agree with POMAN that the question could be worded differently. My guess is that NTN Buzztime wanted the Beatle that had the longest running #1 other than the group's.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Here's the Encore question and answer and Headline round questions for April 3rd, 2010.

http://22066.vws.magma.ca/trivi675.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
focus wrote:
poman wrote:

Ah, IIRC, The Whitburn gives credit to each artist separately of what they consider to be a non-regular duo (which would appear to be correct in both cases). :roll:

That said, I agree with POMAN that the question could be worded differently. My guess is that NTN Buzztime wanted the Beatle that had the longest running #1 other than the group's.

Playback is just very ugly right now. Ever since buzztime decided to announce all the categories at once for the entire month, all of the Headliner rounds have either been all repeat questions or mostly repeat questions from previous network games. All of the Beatles questions tonight were repeat questions from previous games. I did notice that one of the questions was a previous Showdown question. I don't know if the Playback writer quit or got fired or was placed on layoff, but whatever happened... this game has gotten pretty ugly in recent months.

Now, in fairness, this also happened sometimes in Classic Playback. The current events round was always new, because like the Pulse game, they have to ask questions about recent events. But sometimes the other rounds repeated for a few months at a time (it seemed to most often happen during the winter months. I can't recall if it ever happened during the summer months, but maybe it did). Again, I don't know if it's not having a writer for the position or just laziness, but whatever the case, having mostly repeat questions in a premium game is a total snoozefest for players that play every week. It sure doesn't seem like this problem is to this extent in Showdown and Spotlight. I don't know about Six since I never get to play it. I know Showdown and Spotlight have some repeat questions, too, but again, not to *this* extent.

That's major problem #1.

The second problem is if they are going to use repeat questions, you can't have bad/ambiguous questions -- such as the one quoted above -- in a round where the bulk of the points are based on how many questions you consecutively answer correctly. For the people that have seen that question before, we knew that buzztime wanted McCartney on that one tonight. But for the people who saw it for the first time & got it wrong, that killed their chance at a big bonus. At least when TomD was active on this forum, he would either nuke a question like that or clean it up so that when it got recycled, it became a good question. But now there's no one on buzztime to clean it up, and it gets recycled into the most critical round of the game. That compounds the problem and makes it major problem #2.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:07 am 
Octogenarian

Actually, the right answer is McCartney.........whether you use Ebony & Ivory (Wasn't thinking of that one myself), or Silly Love Songs (which I was thinking about)......did the question actually say as a solo artist, or just in their post Beatles Career? Technically speaking, McCartney never really had a solo number one......he was either credited as a member of Wings, dueted with Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson, or his wife Linda.

Won't disagree with anything you said about the question "writing"........by the way, that New Mexico group is at it again. The fact that they can do that at all is why I can't take NTN management seriously. They either tanked last week on purpose to try and make it look good or the system at the place on the East feed must've had problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

craig921 wrote:
Actually, the right answer is McCartney.........whether you use Ebony & Ivory (Wasn't thinking of that one myself), or Silly Love Songs (which I was thinking about)......did the question actually say as a solo artist, or just in their post Beatles Career? Technically speaking, McCartney never really had a solo number one......he was either credited as a member of Wings, dueted with Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson, or his wife Linda.

It said solo. But yeah, they should've just wrote the question to say "post Beatles Career."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:29 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Guess the new #1 team resides in New Mexico, hope I get a chance to meet them someday..

Okay, of all the potential good Beatles questions to come up with, you knew they’d throw in one stupid, controversial one. By the way, this is actually the third time it has been asked. The first time was in the # round, I went McCartney (thinking Silly Love Songs), and the answer given was Lennon (factoid said Starting Over). Next time it was asked, I went Lennon, and they changed the answer to McCartney (factoid said Ebony and Ivory or Say Say Say, I can’t remember). So, when it came up last night again, I just figured it would be McCartney again, and luckily it was right. I’m like POMAN, I think they said solo in the question. They also asked which song was written by John Lennon, answer given was Hard Day’s Night, but they had two other choices that were credited to Lennon/McCartney. We went with one he sang, but another borderline question. I thought the other 9 questions were decent, I don’t remember seeing all those before, except the final one (Penny Lane about a childhood memory). I was hoping they’d ask what actress’s sister was Prudence in “Dear Prudence “ or something like that (Mia Farrow).

As far as repeats, most of them seem to be in the triviaoke round, they’ve been repeating a lot of those from the old Triviaoke games and other recent Playback games. I think I’ve seen a few No Doubt questions at least five times, I still get gold and diamonds mixed up . There seems to be a lot of new questions as well, I’m not going to complain if we get 35 or so new questions per week. Definite advantage to those of us that play most weeks, the #5 Queen Latifah repeat question came in handy for us a few weeks ago.

Also, did they seriously ask a non-Top 40 Lindsay Lohan question? At least Bieber seems to have faded from their radar ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
They also asked which song was written by John Lennon, answer given was Hard Day’s Night, but they had two other choices that were credited to Lennon/McCartney. We went with one he sang, but another borderline question. I thought the other 9 questions were decent, I don’t remember seeing all those before, except the final one (Penny Lane about a childhood memory). I was hoping they’d ask what actress’s sister was Prudence in “Dear Prudence “ or something like that (Mia Farrow).

I guess your mind is slipping, fellow Big 10 buddy (just make sure it doesn't happen to you on a Blake Shelton Encore question :oops: ]. That question was a repeat from The Beatles - John game.

Counting that game, there were three Beatles games in the database. They just pulled a few questions from each of those games. The only thing that surprised me was they didn't use the Ed Sullivan question since that one has already been an Encore question twice.

I wish we were getting 35 new questions per week. It feels more like 5 or 10. The Journey game was 9 of 11 questions straight from the previous Journey game. The AC/DC game was 8 of 11 questions straight from the previous AC/DC game. In that game they even edited two of the questions, first to remove the words "2006 current album" by AC/DC. And even worse the All of these are albums by AC/DC except, they merely changed the answer from Powerslave to Slippery When Wet -- making the answer even more obvious. If they're taking time to edit the questions, why not just go all the way and actually write new questions.

I know BO loves to ride buzztime when very few bars crack 42000, but I'd rather score 51000 with all new questions than 78000+ in a repeatalicious game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:47 pm 
Himself Fodder

poman wrote:
I know BO loves to ride buzztime when very few bars crack 42000, but I'd rather score 51000 with all new questions than 78000+ in a repeatalicious game.

I just hate to see a game's core audience be continually disappointed. IMO, this iteration is poorly designed, it should have no headliner, and now it appears the writers have gotten lazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
poman wrote:

I just hate to see a game's core audience be continually disappointed. IMO, this iteration is poorly designed, it should have no headliner, and now it appears the writers have gotten lazy.

Yeah, I'm not knocking you for riding them. Sometimes its tongue in cheek, sometimes its a big problem in need of correction.

Right now, it's a big problem in need of correction. When buzztime revised Playback, it boasted the slogan, "More questions! More points!" And hate it or love it, that was fine as long as they were writing new questions. If they're not going to write new questions, the more questions boast is irrelevant. In fact, it's worse. I'd much rather have a game of 34 new questions than a game of 51 mostly repeat questions.

And since July's headliners have all been used in that round before, it appears the problem is going to continue for all this month too :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
And since July's headliners have all been used in that round before, it appears the problem is going to continue for all this month too :(

Hells bells. Having just seen this week's headliner, with the unfortunate possibility that one of my usual Saturday sites may have the tablets this week...I think I'm going to be sick. Image Image Image Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

poman wrote:

I guess your mind is slipping, fellow Big 10 buddy.

Counting that game, there were three Beatles games in the database. They just pulled a few questions from each of those games. The only thing that surprised me was they didn't use the Ed Sullivan question since that one has already been an Encore question twice.

I wish we were getting 35 new questions per week. It feels more like 5 or 10. The Journey game was 9 of 11 questions straight from the previous Journey game. The AC/DC game was 8 of 11 questions straight from the previous AC/DC game. In that game they even edited two of the questions, first to remove the words "2006 current album" by AC/DC. And even worse the All of these are albums by AC/DC except, they merely changed the answer from Powerslave to Slippery When Wet -- making the answer even more obvious. If they're taking time to edit the questions, why not just go all the way and actually write new questions.

Just think of the potential for repeats tomorrow, there are at least 40 questions already in the database, many about the TGIF video, Kevin McHale was once an answer I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
poman wrote:

I guess your mind is slipping, fellow Big 10 buddy.

I wish we were getting 35 new questions per week. It feels more like 5 or 10. The Journey game was 9 of 11 questions straight from the previous Journey game. The AC/DC game was 8 of 11 questions straight from the previous AC/DC game. In that game they even edited two of the questions, first to remove the words "2006 current album" by AC/DC. And even worse the All of these are albums by AC/IDC except, they merely changed the answer from Powerslave to Slippery When Wet -- making the answer even more obvious. If they're taking time to edit the questions, why not just go all the way and actually write new questions.

Just think of the potential for repeats tomorrow, there are at least 40 questions already in the database, many about the TGIF video, Kevin McHale was once an answer I think.

Indeed. That's why its surprising that this month's headliners aren't instead:

July 5 - Katy Perry repeats
July 12 - More Katy Perry repeats
July 19 - Still Katy Perry repeats
July 26 - Katy Perry forever

:lol: