It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Playback, May 15
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bob Marley
Elvis Presley
Frank Sinatra

Am I wrong, or was Elvis already a headliner?

Post subject: Re: Playback, May 15
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

^No, he was a reject about a year ago.

If it's not Elvis this week, I think scores are going to be as low as they were during Ray Charles week.

This is also part of a distrubring trend where buzztime is selecting similar themes in back-to-back artist specific weeks. Dave Matthews Band (March 6) and Pearl Jam (March 20) were 1990s bands. That ticked off a lot of older people from playing, especially the second time around.

Ray Charles (May 1) and Elvis (likely this week) are artists that were born in the 1930s. That'll tick off anyone younger than 50 from playing, especially this week. It's probably enough to get me to finally sit out a week. (While listening to Ray Charles and Elvis Presley tunes isn't exactly something I hate, I have no desire to answer trivia questions about them. I tolerated it last week, but I'm not going to do it twice in three weeks).

I think buzztime needs to return to better diversity in consecutive artist specific weeks. They were doing a good job of that, up until the past couple months.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:59 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
Bob Marley
Elvis Presley
Frank Sinatra

I had that same reaction but after thinking about it, I believe it was a Topix game about Elvis, not a Playback game.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
^No, he was a reject about a year ago.

If it's not Elvis this week, I think scores are going to be as low as they were during Ray Charles week.

This is also part of a distrubring trend where buzztime is selecting similar themes in back-to-back artist specific weeks. Dave Matthews Band (March 6) and Pearl Jam (March 20) were 1990s bands. That ticked off a lot of older people from playing, especially the second time around.

Ray Charles (May 1) and Elvis (likely this week) are artists that were born in the 1930s. That'll tick off anyone younger than 50 from playing, especially this week. It's probably enough to get me to finally sit out a week. (While listening to Ray Charles and Elvis Presley tunes isn't exactly something I hate, I have no desire to answer trivia questions about them. I tolerated it last week, but I'm not going to do it twice in three weeks).

I think buzztime needs to return to better diversity in consecutive artist specific weeks. They were doing a good job of that, up until the past couple months.

I enjoy listening to Elvis and Frank, in fact, I have both stations locked in on my XM. But I neither listen to, nor like Bob Marley (unless it is the comedian :P ). That being said, I don't know much trivia about Elvis and Frank. But still, I predict Bob Marley.

Last edited by BGTUNA on Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
Bob Marley
Elvis Presley
Frank Sinatra

Acccording to Rocket Robin via NO_LES:

NTN Encore Question of May 23rd, 2009.

Headliner:...THE DOORS over Elvis Presley and Metallica

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Someone please recap whatever the Encore question and answer is.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

^Ask and receive...

(Paraphrased, as usual)

Headliner Round:

Q1: "We're caught in a trap..." (SUSPICIOUS MINDS)

Q2: The first Elvis song to the top the charts? (HEARTBREAK HOTEL)

[Technically, this isn't correct. His first #1 song was "I Forgot To Remember To Forget," which topped the country chart a few months earlier].

Q3: A famous baby picture of Elvis is on the album cover of which of his releases? (ELVIS COUNTRY)

Q4: "Blue Suede Shoes" was a chart hit for Elvis & also a chart hit for... (CARL PERKINS)

Q5: All of these songs were chart hits for Elvis except: (LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND)

Q6: The first Elvis song to top both the Country and R&B charts? (DON'T BE CRUEL)

["Hound Dog" was also a choice, which was a song that also topped the country and R&B charts).

Q7: Which of these Elvis songs is backed by an acoustic guitar? (LOVE ME TENDER)

Q8: In 1970, Elvis took in a famous tour of which of these locations? (FBI HEADQUARTERS)

Q9: Elvis made his TV debut in 1956 on this show? (STAGE SHOW)

Q10: In 1961, Elvis contributed to the funding of which landmark? (USS ARIZONA MEMORIAL)

Encore Question:

Q: Elvis had a top 20 hit on the charts with which of these James Taylor songs?

1. Her Town Too
2. How Sweet It Is
3. You've Got A Friend
4. Handy Man
5. Steamroller Blues

Correct Answer: (STEAMROLLER BLUES)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:48 am 
Lord of Scaratings

Did y'all notice #3 on the boards that night was Muadib TGIF Louisville ? I was Steam Rolling at the end with 67K.

One of my rare appearances on Saturday night; ended up getting in trouble later for getting in, in the wee hours, with the wife still up :o

(ended up 19th on the HOF behind all the Caddy Jacks and Fletchers folks)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:41 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

scar wrote:
Did y'all notice #3 on the boards that night was Muadib TGIF Louisville ? I was Steam Rolling at the end with 67K.

One of my rare appearances on Saturday night; ended up getting in trouble later for getting in, in the wee hours, with the wife still up :o

I've heard you use a computer, so it doesn't officially count :)

Nice game, so are you an Elvis Presley fan? What does Muadib stand for, we were wondering who that was when we saw it?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
scar wrote:

I've heard you use a computer, so it doesn't officially count :)

Nice game, so are you an Elvis Presley fan? What does Muadib stand for, we were wondering who that was when we saw it?

Maudib was the main character at the start of the Dune books.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:19 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Aye, the Fremen name for Paul Atreides has long been my second handle. (Paul Maud'Dib actually).

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:24 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

clark wrote:
scar wrote:

Nice game, so are you an Elvis Presley fan?

Well sort of. FSHMAN had printed out Elvis and the other two choices wikipedia pages. I walked in at 8:00 and he said here read one. I picked Elvis.

I skimmed like 20 pages while playing trivia and drinking whiskey (didn't feel like beer for some reason).

I got a few answers from my reading (didn't refer to the reference... no time as I was well over an hour and a half into some mighty tall Woodford Reserves), got a few that I knew, got a few answers from FSHMAN and CATFAN, then our bartender gave me his hunch on the last question with 2 seconds to go and I switched, correctly.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:

The bad news is that this question still doesn't lessen your overall geek rep because, let's face it, you're spending time on a trivia website.
But the good news is that this means you obviously didn't have to sit through that craporama wincingly known as Dune.
A friend of mine ran the theater where I saw it.
Immediately after the movie I suggested to him that there was a typo on the marquee and that he swap out the "e" for the appropriate "g"...

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
But the good news is that this means you obviously didn't have to sit through that craporama wincingly known as Dune.
Immediately after the movie I suggested to him that there was a typo on the marquee and that he swap out the "e" for the appropriate "g"...

But have you seen the Extended Version of the Craporama ?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
But have you seen the Extended Version of the Craporama ?

Nope.

But then I've never gone to the dentist and asked for the extended version of a root canal either... :o :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
clark wrote:

The bad news is that this question still doesn't lessen your overall geek rep because, let's face it, you're spending time on a trivia website.

Well played, my friend...

It was a legitimate question, but I could have easily probably googled it and found the answer.. Figured it was a combination of aunts and uncles names or something similar (or with Scar who knows, maybe a Twister reference)...

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
(or with Scar who knows, maybe a Twister reference)...

Now you're speaking my language :geek: