King or Queen Postsalot

They must be trying to drive me away...

Brittney Spears
Mariah Carey
Paula Abdul

Post subject: Re: September 18 Playback
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Holy moses...Paula Abdul? Her catalog isn't big enough to even be a Headliner choice, let alone a Headliner. She had two relevant albums. Maybe if they combined Paula Abdul + Jody Watley + Pebbles, then they *might* be able to scrape up enough material for 11 questions. But if Paula Abdul's going to be a Headliner, what's next...Simon Cowell? :roll: It's not that much of a stretch from Paula Abdul.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Holy moses...Paula Abdul? Her catalog isn't big enough to even be a Headliner choice, let alone a Headliner. She had two relevant albums. Maybe if they combined Paula Abdul + Jody Watley + Pebbles, then they *might* be able to scrape up enough material for 11 questions. But if Paula Abdul's going to be a Headliner, what's next...Simon Cowell? :roll: It's not that much of a stretch from Paula Abdul.

Well, based on the 2004 Whitburn :oops:, Paula Abdul had more top 40 singles than FBRTNY Image (11 to 9) and more #1s (6 to 1). There are also more than a few other questions about her that could crop up. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, based on the 2004 Whitburn :oops:, Paula Abdul had more top 40 singles than FBRTNY Image (11 to 9) and more #1s (6 to 1). There are also more than a few other questions about her that could crop up. Image [/color]

Um, 2004 Whitburn was 6 years ago :lol: Britney's now had 17 top 40 singles.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather answer questions about Paula Abdul over FBRTNY, too (and even Mariah Carey for that matter). But there's just no way Paula Abdul should be a Headliner choice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
liljol wrote:
Well, based on the 2004 Whitburn :oops:, Paula Abdul had more top 40 singles than FBRTNY Image (11 to 9) and more #1s (6 to 1). There are also more than a few other questions about her that could crop up. Image

Um, 2004 Whitburn was 6 years ago :lol: Britney's now had 17 top 40 singles.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather answer questions about Paula Abdul over FBRTNY, too (and even Mariah Carey for that matter). But there's just no way Paula Abdul should be a Headliner choice.

Well, figured as such. Has there been another Whitburn issued since then, and when? :?: Regardless, I find it difficult to agree that an artist with six #1s doesn't qualify to be a Playback Headliner. :roll:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I never really appreciated this thread until I sat through all of Playback up to the Headliner round...only to have Celine Dion questions the rest of the way out.

Now I check to see the headliner.

Won't be playing this Saturday.

A very sincere "Thanks!".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, figured as such. Has there been another Whitburn issued since then, and when? :?:

I don't know. I think their web site is recordresearch.com or something like that. I guess we could just click on the site to find out...but as John Kerry once said, "I'm too lazy" :lol:

Billboard now puts discographies on their web site for free.

liljol wrote:
Regardless, I find it difficult to agree that an artist with six #1s doesn't qualify to be a Playback Headliner. :roll:

To me, it's not so much the #1 hits...it's the body of work. A lot of artists (especially around the Paula Abdul time frame) were 1-album or 2-album wonders. They loaded up on top 10, top 5 and/or #1 hits from two albums, only to get kicked by the wayside shortly thereafter. You could write 11 trivia questions based on even just one album, but is it worthy? I'd say no, but I'm sure others would argue yes. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As uncool as Celine Dion is, I didn't have a problem with her being the Headliner because she's had a 20-year career and sold 100+ million albums. (and besides, it's only fair that buzztime throws the Canada players a bone every once in awhile, even if it means it has to be someone like Celine).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
liljol wrote:
Well, figured as such. Has there been another Whitburn issued since then, and when? :?:

I don't know. I think their web site is recordresearch.com or something like that. I guess we could just click on the site to find out...but as John Kerry once said, "I'm too lazy" :lol:

Billboard now puts discographies on their web site for free.

liljol wrote:
Regardless, I find it difficult to agree that an artist with six #1s doesn't qualify to be a Playback Headliner. :roll:

To me, it's not so much the #1 hits...it's the body of work. A lot of artists (especially around the Paula Abdul time frame) were 1-album or 2-album wonders. They loaded up on top 10, top 5 and/or #1 hits from two albums, only to get kicked by the wayside shortly thereafter. You could write 11 trivia questions based on even just one album, but is it worthy? I'd say no, but I'm sure others would argue yes. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As uncool as Celine Dion is, I didn't have a problem with her being the Headliner because she's had a 20-year career and sold 100+ million albums. (and besides, it's only fair that buzztime throws the Canada players a bone every once in awhile, even if it means it has to be someone like Celine).

I don't have a problem with her as a headliner. I just wouldn't have played a game with 11 questions about her if I'd known ahead of time.

I think she sucks, but that's just my opinion. By reading this thread this week, I now know not to bother playing, since I do not know anything about the artists involved, nor do I like any of their music.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:42 pm 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
Quote:

Well, figured as such. Has there been another Whitburn issued since then, and when? :?: Regardless, I find it difficult to agree that an artist with six #1s doesn't qualify to be a Playback Headliner. :roll:

According to my librarian databases, there is a 9th edition in the works with a 2010 publication date. I can't order it yet so it may not exist yet or the publication is behind schedule. (Getting way off the topic now but I thought people might like to know this.)

Christina/HEELAX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:29 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tarheelinlax wrote:
Quote:

According to my librarian databases, there is a 9th edition in the works with a 2010 publication date. I can't order it yet so it may not exist yet or the publication is behind schedule. (Getting way off the topic now but I thought people might like to know this.)

Christina/HEELAX

I know that is definitely my favorite music reference book hands down...Wonder if they'll make it thicker since they're adding six years of new stuff, or if they'll drop out something from previous edition...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:00 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

soccer again this weekend. Please post the Encore question and answer. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Rocket Robin wrote:
soccer again this weekend. Please post the Encore question and answer. Thanks.

Finish the line in this Britney Spears song Sometimes:

Sometimes I __________

Answer is Run

It is scary how much about Britney I knew......Saved me from an otherwise horrible game.

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Was "gag" a choice? :roll:

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:25 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Did anyone else notice the true/false about whether the inspiration for Hotel California was based on an episode of the Outer Limits?

Did everyone at our bar all read the question incorrectly?

Buzztime said the answer is "True." That's horseshiat.

Hoping we read it wrong.

/died on the last question again, makes it a few weeks in a row. Bar woulda been 4th or 5th if we'd hit it. :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Nice game, CLARK crew. Are you a closet Britney fan or did you just happen to bring your 12 year old niece with you to the dining area tonight?

(Hint: No matter which one it was, just say it was the latter :lol: )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Nice game, CLARK crew. Are you a closet Britney fan or did you just happen to bring your 12 year old niece with you to the dining area tonight?

I'm pretty sure that CLARK has been out of the closet for quite some time now.
Just ask him about the Ting Tings... :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Did anyone else notice the true/false about whether the inspiration for Hotel California was based on an episode of the Outer Limits?

Hoping we read it wrong.

/died on the last question again, makes it a few weeks in a row. Bar woulda been 4th or 5th if we'd hit it. :(

We said false as well. I haven't found anything in my research to suggest that it was based on The Outer Limits.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:21 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

poman wrote:

Couple of comments/excuses:

- For the record, we got crushed when QUEEN was the headliner.

- Before the game, I did my best to channel SPIEGS's innermost thoughts on Britney Spears (how disturbing)..

- I wouldn't take my niece to Cadillac Jacks, she drinks too much.

- It was SPOTES's quarter that went into the jukebox, and he happened to be standing near it when the Ting Tings played.

Last edited by clark on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:

- Before the game, I did my best to channel SPIEGS's innermost thoughts on Britney Spears (how disturbing)..

Oh, that must be what the song '3' is all about :lol: (We missed that one).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:33 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

poman wrote:
clark wrote:

Oh, that must be what the song '3' is all about :lol: (We missed that one).

Think Puff the Magic Dragon LOL

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:

Hoping we read it wrong.

The only Outer Limits episode remotely close to this is "The Guests" which was about a drifter that was trapped in an old mansion by an alien... the usual badly written Outer Limits kind of shtick.
I didn't remember it completely, so I looked it up online to see if maybe it might have been the episode in question from NTN.
There is only one thing linking these two things. It is a comment on a blog about the album by someone stating that the song reminded them of "an old Outer Limits episode".
I sure hope that was not the source of this question. That would be possibly the lamest researched question ever. Ever.
After researching dozens and dozens of quotes from the various Eagles' members from that album, Outer Limits was never mentioned once in relationship to the song's origins or meanings.
If someone finds something that I missed (always possible ;) ), let me know. Until then, this appears badly incorrect.
If it helps, just think of it as a 500 point sacrifice to the trivia gods. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:26 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
poman wrote:

Couple of comments/excuses:

- For the record, we got crushed when QUEEN was the headliner.

- I wouldn't take my niece to Cadillac Jacks, she drinks too much.

- It was SPOTES's quarter that went into the jukebox, and he happened to be standing near it when the Ting Tings played.

SPIEGS' innermost thoughts Saturday were about the sad nature of the Tennessee football program...EGADS!!!

Which was offset Sunday by his thoughts about the sad nature of the Dallas Cowboys football program.

Oh, to be in Xanadu!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:

SPIEGS' innermost thoughts Saturday were about the sad nature of the Tennessee football program...EGADS!!!

Which was offset Sunday by his thoughts about the sad nature of the Dallas Cowboys football program.

Oh, to be in Xanadu!

Rumors are circulating that he listened to the Michael Bolton & Lady Gaga duet, "Murder My Heart," immediately following the Cowboys game this weekend :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Headliner: Britney Spears

(paraphrased, as usual)

Q1: It’s the title of the debut album from Britney Spears: (…BABY ONE MORE TIME)

Q2: Britney Spears is dressed in a schoolgirl outfit in this video: (…BABY ONE MORE TIME)

Q3: It’s the title of a 2004 single from Britney Spears: (TOXIC)

Q4: In the hit song "3," Britney makes reference to this famous group: (PETER, PAUL AND MARY)

Q5: Britney Spears covers which famous 1980s song on her 2001 album, Britney: (I LOVE ROCK N ROLL)

Q6: Britney sings “I’m like ________________, I call the shots” in her hit song, “Circus:” (THE RINGLEADER)

Q7: It was the name of Britney’s 2004 tour: (ONYX HOTEL)

Q8: Britney crashes her sports car into a swimming pool in the video for this song: (MY PREROGATIVE)

Q9: Britney sings, “With a taste of ____________________, I’m addicted to you” in her hit song, “Toxic:” (POISON PARADISE)

Q10: At the 2001 MTV Music Awards, Britney performed “I’m A Slave 4 U” while wearing a: (PYTHON)

Encore Question:

(extremely paraphrased) Q: On the hit song “Sometimes,” Britney sings, “Sometimes I ________”

1. Cry
2. Dance
3. Run
4. Dream
5. Go Crazy

Answer: (RUN)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:25 pm 
Nonagenarian

Location: Tavern on Main, El Segundo, CA; also play at Mr.B's, East Side Mario's
tarheelinlax wrote:
Quote:

Christina/HEELAX

I have been totally remiss in following up on this. The new Whitburn (9th ed) was published in October of this year. Ask for one for Christmas (I know I certainly am...if I can wait that long).

I kept searching for it at Amazon by using "Whitburn", but that doesn't find it, for some reason, even though he is very much the author. You have to search it as "Billboard Book of Top 40 hits".

http://www.amazon.com/Billboard-Book-To ... 823085546/

Christina/HEELAX