New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Galata, Bridge & Tower
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Brainbuster this January 9th was so depressing that I went to my mitteleuropisch Psychoanalyst and asked him, "Why is your job title spelled with a 'y', when all other degreed professionals - those who are involved in legitimate science - all use an 'i'? Do you psychoanalysts really think you're that special? And what's wrong with my trivia game? I'm playing Buzztime on a regular basis with JOHNL, and I'm bleeding him out. Without JOHNL, the rest of us are doomed."

"Your anger is appropriately directed at me, the Psychoanalyst replied. "It is my responsibility to dissipate your anger, so that it is spread, below the level of misdemeanor assault, among numerous Others. Do you not realize that all competition is internal? Even in the bullfight. Which is very much like, what do you Americans call it? Baseball.

"The bull gores you. The bull was doing his job. You did not anticipate the curveball? You did not read its velocity, or its spin, or its break. But that cannot be blamed on the pitcher. That you have never heard of Galata Bridge or Galata Tower may have been improvident, but you must know from the Epistles than Galatia was located in Asia Minor."

"That's asking too much, Doc. None of my ancestors in the last 500 years were born below the 43rd parallel. We know nothing about your sophisticated Mediterranean religions. In the meanwhile, the Galata Bridge and Galata Tower question reduced me to a 14.1, and I couldn't even break the final top 20!"

"Your Minneapolis is at roughly the same latitude as Milan," the Quack replied. "Milan is located in Italy, which is Mediterranean. That'll be $500. My future mistress at the front desk shall be happy to accept your credit card."

Post subject: Re: The Galata, Bridge & Tower
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

That question was a precall for our group, but not from our usual geography expert. I have a strong suspicion that the teammate who called it out knew it not from his (actually pretty good) geographic knowledge, but rather because it plays a role in one of the "Assassin's Creed" games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am 
Himself Fodder

1 of our whopping 3 person team last night was stationed in Turkey in his younger days and precalled it.

Not really a fan of how easy BB has been lately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm 
Lotsa Posta

-BO- wrote:
Not really a fan of how easy BB has been lately.

I agree. It's not to say that all 14K's aren't good. But if most of the quiz can be pre-called, it diminishes the unique clues of Brainbuster to pointlessness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well played, Buzztime. Well played.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 pm 
Himself Fodder

ANON wrote:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:20 pm 
Lotsa Posta

ANON wrote:

For those of you who missed it, QUESTION 15 in tonight's Brainbuster read, to this effect: WHAT WAS THE TOTAL CUMULATIVE YARDAGE GAINED BY ALL THE TEAM OFFENSES IN THE NFL THIS YEAR?

The answers in the drop-down box were given in miles, varying from possibly 23 MILES to 92 MILES (I've forgotten the precise numbers). Given that the average offense gained approximately 360 yards per game, that each team played 16 games, and that there are 32 teams in the NFL, well then, there really isn't much to it. But it was here that things got interesting.

The three clues were given in INCHES, FURLONGS, AND RODS. Two of our six players WAGed in for 1,000. The other four of us flat-lined.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE COMPLAINED THAT THESE QUESTIONS ARE TOO EASY... Buzztime concluded in its tagline...THIS IS OUR RESPONSE (or something to that effect).

Buzztime's argument ad absurdum could be viewed as a hilarious take-down, or as a bruise to most everyone who views a five-figure score on this quiz as a success, and carried a respectable 9800 into QUESTION 15 - without being able to collect.

I had already failed on QUESTIONS 2,3,4 &14, which were all well phrased and resolvable in hindsight. Whether the Carlsbad content crew wishes to challenge the MICE who chew on their wires, I would be grateful if Brainbuster's questions eschewed what the most dedicated of Brainbuster players play this particular game to enjoy - a broader horizon, exponentially wider than Steven Tyler's mouth.

Congratulations to GAIJIN (13.8) and AUDREY (13.0), the only two players credited with 13's in the FINAL TOP 20, on the post-game bragsheet for this interesting quiz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:45 pm 
Lotsa Posta

As an afterthought, I'd like BO, or some other kind soul, to peel the bulls-eye off my back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 am 
U > 100 * 2

I was just about to post about Q15 today! Obviously, the question-writers hate us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am 
U > 100 * 2

1) 65 MILES
2) 83 MILES
3) 56 MILES
4) 92 MILES

NOT 448 FURLONGS
NOT 5,258,880 INCHES
29,440 RODS

"THAT WAS FOR ALL YOU PLAYERS WHO THINK BRAINBUSTER HAS BEEN TOO EASY LATELY."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
Buzztime's argument ad absurdum could be viewed as a hilarious take-down, or as a bruise to most everyone who views a five-figure score on this quiz as a success, and carried a respectable 9800 into QUESTION 15 - without being able to collect.

We went with the former. There is always a lot of laughter whenever we play, but this hands-down was the biggest laugh we had this year so far, and a couple of us who had followed this thread literally doffed our caps to the writer.

I thought the game was challenging even before the last question (for which we were WAGging all over the place like most people). Hats off to the content team for that, too.

On the positive side, it is nice to know that the content team is actually still paying attention to us and what we think. Thanks to them for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Joining this thread a little late.

1. Galata Tower shows up in various histories and fiction of Constantinople/Istanbul. Question was not a problem. Only lost points on fennel, but 14124 brought 24th. Round too easy.

2. Last night much better even with my poor score alone. Last q very funny. Still Aerosmith's cow udders do not belong in BB. BB should be sans pop culture. It would have been an excellent Glory Daze q. Also, balsa wood not worthy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Merkin wrote:
Also, balsa wood not worthy.

Yes, we were saying almost the exact same thing when the game started ("That's really not a Brainbuster-type question, is it?"). That's what made the last question funnier for us. I may be wrong, but I can't help but guess that the writer deliberately chose that question to lead off with for that reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Once you add in all the fellow travelers, MERKIN's rank in that Brainbuster (1.9.18) drops from 24th to 90th. My 10.3 last night was good for 97th. Too late to close the trap door...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm 
U > 100 * 2

ANON wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Also, balsa wood not worthy.

Yes, we were saying almost the exact same thing when the game started ("That's really not a Brainbuster-type question, is it?"). That's what made the last question funnier for us. I may be wrong, but I can't help but guess that the writer deliberately chose that question to lead off with for that reason.

That's a good point, ANON. We said it, too. I guess we brought Question 15 upon ourselves!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 pm 
U > 100 * 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Grandpa Simpson seems to be getting about 220 yards per hogshead, which breaks down to about 520 gallons per mile. I get similar mileage, but since the convenience store, the church, the bingo parlor, and the dog park are all within easy walking distance of my assisted living facility, and I'm pretty spry if I don't say so, I don't know what he's so upset about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm 
U > 100 * 2

:)

Probably should have checked before I posted it. It's about 0.00198 MPG, I think.

But now I know there are 320 rods to a mile, so bring it, Brainbuster.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Gypsy wrote:
Obviously, the question-writers hate us.

Nobody hates you, GYPSY. You're too adorable.

The rest of us are on shakier ground. It would be a serious breach of gallantry were we to bring you down to our level.