New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A new tournament
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:54 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Introduction

This is the first of what will likely be a series of new tournaments, sponsored by those virtually wandering New Yorkers currently camped out at Herrill Lanes. We are doing this because:

1) we need to firmly establish the principle that the person running the tournament is fully accountable to those playing in it. Call it a Player Bill of Rights. You would think that it would just be common sense that a gamerunner needs to tell the participants about his decisions and rule changes, but common sense isn't so common.

2) due to the huge drop in Buzztime locations, many areas in our country now have no place to physically play. We wish to demonstrate that regulated remote play is no threat to tournament play.

3) we want to try some new and different ways to play tournaments, trying different ways to play, including different games to play and trying different ways to award winners. What we especially want to try is having you tell us what you think and want.

4) we'll do some housekeeping by setting forth and detailing in writing many of the unwritten practices that have emerged over the years and including them into a set of rules. It will be rather longer than what you're used to, but this is something that you do once and refer to whenever necessary, which probably won't be often. This will also help new gamerunners learn what needs to be done. People running other tournaments are encouraged to copy-and-paste any and all of these rules for use in their tournaments.

What's the game?

We're going to give you a choice.

The first choice is what we call "March Madness." Like the NCAA tournament, there will be no regular season, but instead seedings. Seedings will be done using the average 2023 Brainbuster scores available at https://ntn.donrdenton.com/average.php?GAME=brainbuster&YEAR=2023. All matches will be head-on-head, or depending on the number of entries, head-on-head-on-head (three teams play, one advances). Again, depending on the number of entries, There may also be a play-in round for the lowest seeds, like the NCAA tournament. The winner and runnerup will get a cash prize and a medal which they get to keep permanently.

The second choice is what we call "Brainbuster Survivor." Each week, you will play Brainbuster. If your team has the lowest score or one of the two lowest scores, your team(s) gets dropped, and everyone else goes on to the next week. The cycle keeps repeating itself until there is one team left standing. If that is your team, you will get a cash prize and a medal which you get to keep. Past performance does not matter one bit, no dropped weeks, it's all "What have you done lately?"

Why This Way?

It's hard to see the need to play a number of weeks just to establish rankings when statistics on play are readily available. So if you already have a regular season, why not go straight to the playoffs? That's the reason for March Madness.

Brainbuster Survivor is much different than any other Buzztime tournament. It is often difficult to make a Buzztime tournament competitive. The average tournament is heavily stacked against Cinderella. Most of the time, most teams are effectively out of it after two weeks after a few teams build up insurmountable leads, and if all you want to do is figure out who the best team is, just look at the statistics. Brainbuster is a bit different in that currently you usually have about 10-12 teams not too far away from the top score; there's often little difference between third and twelfth. This approach gives more teams the chance to advance deep into the tournament and then hope to turn into Cinderella at the end.

When?

Soon, definitely in March, but first I want to hear comments from you about this.

How will this be different than other tournaments?

In a lot of ways, not at all. I will follow the Bill of Rights on disclosing all that I do to you all, but I would do the same thing without any new rules. Rules will usually follow general practice, but they will be spelled out in more detail and unwritten practices will be written down. That will make them rather longer than what you've seen in the past, but they will be permanently posted to Scaratings so people can refer to them whenever needed (which will probably be rarely).

The only difference some may find big is that teams that play remotely are allowed to play. As of now, that's only one team I'm aware of: mine. This is not the first tournament in which we played; it is not even the first Brainbuster tournament in which we played. Even if you weren't paying any attention to that, you probably noticed that the world didn't end when that happened. This time around, there will be new restrictions on teams that play this way: your team can only play that way if on average it takes you more than two hours to get to the Buzztime location, you can't bring in anybody and everybody to play with you, and you need to announce that your team in fact does play this way.

One other thing: the winning team does NOT get the right to run this tournament the next year; that has been the cause of our current problems. I will do this as founder the first year, but I would much rather hand this over to someone else for future years while continuing to fund the prize. We will discuss ways how this can be done down the road.

How do I sign up my team?

The sign-up period will start when I post the tournament start date in this thread. You will have to say if you team plays remotely, and you will have to say that your team is OK with remote teams playing in this particular tournament.

We know that most of you don't care about these disputes and just want to play. It's fine by us if you also sign up for tournaments like McCarthy that ban remote play, but if you are a team that bans remote play in a tournament, you're going to have to explain publicly to my satisfaction how you hold two diametrically opposed positions at the same time. I will accept medical evidence that you have two faces. :lol:

Something else new that we will require is that if you run a tournament (and most of you don't), you have to affirm either publicly or within your rules that you will publicly inform your tournament participants of all your actions, decisions and rule changes. That may be a big "DUH" to you, but we just had a team refuse to do that. We have set up a specific structure to handle this for ourselves, but you need not do all that, especially if this has not been an issue for you. If you do it already, you can just say so.

For now, tell me if you want to play and which game you want to play, along with any other comments. Either post those in this thread, or if you prefer, PM me. Thanks!

“When I see the right and the ability to do everything granted to any power whatsoever, whether it is called people or king, democracy or aristocracy . . ., I say: there is the seed of tyranny, and I seek to go live under other laws.” --de Tocqueville

Post subject: Re: A new tournament
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:17 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Like the idea of Brainbuster Survivor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I’ll agree the survivor format sounds better than brackets.

Not that we play Brainbuster much. How about Topix?

Go short and easy on rules. Brevity is a plus. ;)

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:34 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Hey, Stro
Make it a rule of your tournament that any "team" that has more than 12 players isn't eligible.
XT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:54 pm 
Lotsa Posta

xtrain wrote:
Hey, Stro
Make it a rule of your tournament that any "team" that has more than 12 players isn't eligible.
XT

Players or game boards?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:14 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Merkin wrote:
xtrain wrote:
Hey, Stro
XT

Players or game boards?

I'm thinking boxes, because that would keep teams that have as many as 30 players from getting high scores through organized splitting when tough questions appear. To me, that's always been my idea of an unfair advntage. If a team customarily has an excessive number of boxes, then they should name the ones whose scores they want to count in their team's score BEFORE the game.
XT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:37 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
Hey, Stro
XT

There will be no player limitation in this Brainbuster tournament.

“When I see the right and the ability to do everything granted to any power whatsoever, whether it is called people or king, democracy or aristocracy . . ., I say: there is the seed of tyranny, and I seek to go live under other laws.” --de Tocqueville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:05 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

STRO wrote:
xtrain wrote:
Hey, Stro
XT

Well, then you shouldn't waste your time holding your new tournament, because ANON and his horde of assistant professors from the Harvard of Northeastern Ohio will win by sheer force of numbers, and thus gain the "right" to make up rules for next year's Brainbuster tournament that will effectively exclude one of the teams that might defeat them. So you'll have to hold another new tournament for a different game the following year. I suggest the Vocabulary game, which your team (my team) wins more often than not, because 1) it takes place past bedtime in northeastern Ohio and 2) we have a player whose idea of fun is reading the Oxford English Dictionary.
Your teammate, XT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:00 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Patience, young grasshopper. :D There is more to life than winning tournaments.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:11 pm 
Lotsa Posta

xtrain wrote:
STRO wrote:
xtrain wrote:
Hey, Stro
XT

Well, then you shouldn't waste your time holding your new tournament, because ANON and his horde of assistant professors from the Harvard of Northeastern Ohio will win by sheer force of numbers, and thus gain the "right" to make up rules for next year's Brainbuster tournament that will effectively exclude one of the teams that might defeat them. So you'll have to hold another new tournament for a different game the following year. I suggest the Vocabulary game, which your team (my team) wins more often than not, because 1) it takes place past bedtime in northeastern Ohio and 2) we have a player whose idea of fun is reading the Oxford English Dictionary.
Your teammate, XT

Can we just make the tournament all about taking cheap shots at each other? Teasers will sign up for that one, but XT has taken the early lead.

Players at Teasers (or Walsh's) play every premium game from Tuesday-Saturday in some combination. Since we are there anyway, we would be inclined to participate in any fair tournament run by players or any tournament run by Buzztime as well (we enjoy drinking free). Each game seems to have its dominant team, especially in the reduced site environment of the post lockdown era. An added Friday Spotlight tournament would have a presumptive favorite. That might be a weakness in creating more tournaments. Trying new formats (and rules) might be a strength if there is a demand.

Little good, besides a chuckle, can come from each of us taking wanton shots at each other, though.

Post subject: Alternative means of competing in tournaments
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:09 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I like the idea expressed above by xtrain of pre-designating exactly which five player accounts would constitute a particular team for scoring purposes. I had thought of that idea on my own as well but never articulated it here. It's more work for a commissioner but has fun possibilities. Imagine a location having an A, B and C team and a little fish location that only uses five boxes going up against one of those big fish fragments and winning, or having to go up against more than one of them in succession.

My own next new idea would be to allow single box competitors (for example solo players who prefer not to multibox) if the commissioner were willing to count such a score as all 5. (or two boxes x 2.5 etc.) Also more work but I'm sure there would be crowdsourcing help.

Combine either or both of the above with the survivor concept for even more complicated fun.

Post subject: Re: Alternative means of competing in tournaments
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:27 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

whales wrote:
I like the idea expressed above by xtrain of pre-designating exactly which five player accounts would constitute a particular team for scoring purposes. I had thought of that idea on my own as well but never articulated it here. It's more work for a commissioner but has fun possibilities. Imagine a location having an A, B and C team and a little fish location that only uses five boxes going up against one of those big fish fragments and winning, or having to go up against more than one of them in succession.

It would be more work here, but that's fine. You would probably have to make the number more than five to cover absences. The bigger problem is the lack of immediate gratification. You wouldn't know, I wouldn't know who won until the next day, likely early afternoon. People can keep track for themselves easily now, they couldn't with this approach.

whales wrote:
My own next new idea would be to allow single box competitors (for example solo players who prefer not to multibox) if the commissioner were willing to count such a score as all 5. (or two boxes x 2.5 etc.) Also more work but I'm sure there would be crowdsourcing help.

Combine either or both of the above with the survivor concept for even more complicated fun.

Let me modify that: one location, one predesignated box. Doesn't matter if you have one or twenty boxes in play: only one individual score counts. There are a lot of possible variations on this theme. Still would have to wait until the next day, but calculation would be simple. One serious problem: what do you do about loners playing time lag?

Let me think about that. Thank you for your suggestions. If anyone else has ideas about different ways to play, please post them here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:40 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

My apologies for not responding sooner; things like surgery got in the way.

I should firm up items like medals this week. We also have some new ideas on structuring
the tournament; some have already been mentioned, some haven't. It's safe to say that there's
going to be more than one of them this year; they will cover different games, including ones that haven't had
any recent tournaments, and they definitely won't be the same-old, same-old.