New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 9th Annual Brainbuster Cup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

With April rolling around, it is time once again to compete for the 9th Annual Brainbuster Cup and its associated medals.

The tournament will be structured pretty much the same as all of the previous editions: It will run for five games (starting on April 4 and running until May 2 this year). Each participating team's final score will be calculated as the cumulative HOF score of their four best performances in those games (in other words, each team gets to drop a low score, which will also ameliorate the impact of any technical or other issues on a particular night). The highest score thus calculated wins, and that team will get the trophy for a year and be required to run the tournament next April. In addition, as was the case last year, the 2nd- and 3rd-place teams will receive silver(-ish) and bronze(-ish) actual medals with the team’s name on the back.

RULES: Teams must use assembled brainpower in the location only. No computers and no references of any kind during gameplay, either paper or electronic (or telecommunication from outside the location). Using the Buzztime Playmaker app on electronic devices such as iPhones, iPads, or Droid phones is fine, as long as this is the only purpose for which the device is being used, and it is being used in and for the location of the team. Any team that pledges to abide by these rules is welcome to sign up.

As the tournament starts on April 4, the signup period will run from now until noon on that day. Please feel free to join here, or by contacting me by PM or email.

As this will be running concurrently with the McCarthy Cup, we welcome all McCarthy Cup teams to join--the more the merrier!

The Fellowship (Red Fox/Punts and Pints, Cuyahoga Falls, OH) is in.

Post subject: Re: 9th Annual Brainbuster Cup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:21 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Please include Danny K's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:41 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Teasers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:56 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

For those of you not aware of discussions in the Showdown section:

The 2023 rules have been changed from the 2022 rules (the bolded print shows the change).

RULES: Teams must use assembled brainpower in the location only. No computers and no references of any kind during gameplay, either paper or electronic (or telecommunication from outside the location). Using the Buzztime Playmaker app on electronic devices such as iPhones, iPads, or Droid phones is fine, as long as this is the only purpose for which the device is being used, and it is being used in and for the location of the team. Any team that pledges to abide by these rules is welcome to sign up.

It is standard practice in our society for participants to be notified of rule changes. The gamerunner did not do so, so I have.

The gamerunner will insist that this change does not change the meaning of the rule, and I'm sure that in his mind, that is true. Numerous linguistic problems aside, the rule is supposed to ban all forms of remote play from the tournament. Despite this, last year, the gamerunner entered a team (mine) that had openly been playing remotely due to lack of locations, and did not inform the tournament participants of that decision because he "did not want to draw attention to it. . . ." The team playing remotely came in third and received a medal, which the team that came in fourth (Alien Bar) might have a beef about.

In the lengthy discussions mentioned above, the gamerunner showed no sense that he was under any obligation to keep tournament participants informed of his actions and decisions. Even when he said that he should have told me about it, it did not dawn on him that it was the other tournament members to whom an apology was due. Subsequently, he and his team unanimously rejected a set of draft rules which would have put that obligation in writing.

Most of you probably know that baseball has made some significant rules changes for the new season. Imagine if they only told the umpires about it. Not the teams, not the players, not the fans. Then imagine the Commissioner of Baseball saying, "I didn't want to draw attention to it."

For sure, many seeing this just want to play in a tournament, and this is the only game in town. We understand. Just know that this isn't going to be the only game in town much longer.

Comments, please.

“When I see the right and the ability to do everything granted to any power whatsoever, whether it is called people or king, democracy or aristocracy . . ., I say: there is the seed of tyranny, and I seek to go live under other laws.” --de Tocqueville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am pleased to announce the field for the 9th Annual Brainbuster Cup which starts tonight:

Alabama's Little Bit of Texas, Wetumpka, AL
Alien Bar, Albuquerque, NM
Arches II, Rocky Hill, CT
Big Guys, Winnipeg, MB
Blue Horn Lounge, Chapel Hill, NC
Danny K's, Orange, CA
Hanko's Sports Bar, Lake Oswego, OR
Moose McGuire's, Ottawa, ON
Phat Turtle, Cave Creek, AZ
Primetime Sports Grill, Tampa, FL
Red Fox/Punts&Pints, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Teaser's, Chicago, IL
Time Out West, Hanover Park, IL
Wallaby's, Lenexa, KS

Thanks to Don Denton, who has created a page to track the tournament:

https://ntn.donrdenton.com/contest.php?contest=90

Good skill to all tonight!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brainbuster Cup Week 1 Standings:

The opening game of the Brainbuster Cup was a tricky one, with no team cracking 13k. The Fellowship, Danny K’s, and Alien Bar all finished within 700 points of each other, and Hanko’s was not that far behind. Complete sortable results can be found here (click on “Total” column for current standings):

https://ntn.donrdenton.com/contest.php? ... contest=90

Thanks, as always, to Don Denton for keeping the tournament page.

Given the fact that it is a five-week tournament and that everyone gets to drop a low score, none of the 14 teams are out of medal contention. Good skill to all teams this week!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brainbuster Cup Week 2 Standings:

Danny K's left the rest of us in the dust this week, and took a commanding lead in the Brainbuster Cup Tournament. Standings, as always, can be found on Don Denton's tournament page (thanks, as always, to him for keeping this page, sortable by column):

While The Fellowship had built up a 500-point advantage in Week 1, Danny K's used a great score of 13,982 to erase that lead and then lap the field with a 1,000+ point advantage in Week 2, even after dropping low scores. Congrats to them as they officially become the team to beat.

This coming week will be the midpoint of the tournament. Good skill to all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brainbuster Cup Week 3 Standings:

After Danny K's jumped out to an impressive lead last week, the tournament tightened up again considerably this week. By winning this week's game with a score of 13,114, The Fellowship actually pulled ahead in total score by a mere 145 points. However, in the score that really matters--total after dropping low scores--Danny K's is still on top by about 350 points:

https://ntn.donrdenton.com/contest.php? ... contest=90

(Thanks, as always, to Don Denton for tracking the scores on his sortable tournament page.)

While Alien Bar seems to be solidifying a hold on the bronze medal, Time Out West is within striking distance, and a lot can happen in two weeks.

Good skill to all teams in the tournament's penultimate game on Tuesday!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, it may be a bit too early to pop the cork in Orange, California; but the folks at Danny K's may want to put a bottle of bubbly on ice right about now.

The penultimate week of the Brainbuster Cup was a triumph for Danny K's, which has now jumped to a nearly 1,000-point lead over The Fellowship (after dropping low scores) with only one week to go:

Thanks, as always, to Don Denton for tracking scores on his tournament page, sortable by column.

In other tournament news, Alien Bar still has a legitimate chance at a silver; and Time Out West, Moose McGuire's, Big Guys, and Teaser's all still have a chance at bronze. Primetime, Hanko's, and Phat Turtle join them in the battle for fourth place.

It should be an exciting game on Tuesday. Good skill to all!

Last edited by ANON on Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:52 am 
Severus and Victorinus

"Perhaps the most excitement remaining is the battle for fourth place. Although Time Out West is in the lead here, Moose McGuire's is less than 200 points behind; and Big Guys, Teasers, Primetime, and Hanko's are all within striking distance."

And the 4th place prize is??

Ray J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:08 am 

In other tournament news, Alien Bar has officially clinched no worse than 3rd place in the tournament and will definitely be receiving a medal. While they have a lock on at least bronze, they still have a legitimate chance at a silver.

How do you fig, Newton? If I understand the rules correctly, it is the total of the best 4 out of 5 scores. Given that, Time Out West needs to score 13,434 or higher, and more that 2,166 points higher than Alien Bar in the final game to pass them. Or, you can just look at Don Denton's Brainbuster Tournament page to see that Alien Bar's worst is 48,251, which is below the best for Time Out West, Moose McGuire, Big Guys, and Teaser's. Given Time Out West's historical performance, I can see how you can discount us, but you are also paying a great disservice to these other teams.

In summary, we are not ready to wave the white flag and disband the team just yet. Rumors that we are trying to shop Ray J. to Teasers in exchange for a frozen pizza and a six-pack of beer (not Bud Light), are just that. Rumors.

Reb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:08 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Walsh's will offer Cvavra and a six pack of beef jerky.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:56 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

reb6 wrote:
In other tournament news, Alien Bar has officially clinched no worse than 3rd place in the tournament and will definitely be receiving a medal. While they have a lock on at least bronze, they still have a legitimate chance at a silver.

How do you fig, Newton? If I understand the rules correctly, it is the total of the best 4 out of 5 scores. Given that, Time Out West needs to score 13,434 or higher, and more that 2,166 points higher than Alien Bar in the final game to pass them. Or, you can just look at Don Denton's Brainbuster Tournament page to see that Alien Bar's worst is 48,251, which is below the best for Time Out West, Moose McGuire, Big Guys, and Teaser's. Given Time Out West's historical performance, I can see how you can discount us, but you are also paying a great disservice to these other teams.

In summary, we are not ready to wave the white flag and disband the team just yet. Rumors that we are trying to shop Ray J. to Teasers in exchange for a frozen pizza and a six-pack of beer (not Bud Light), are just that. Rumors.

Reb

I'm sorry--I stand corrected! Alien Bar's worst possible score is 48,251, and Time Out's best is 49,818, so you certainly could take the bronze. My apologies for looking at the wrong column when I was writing this. I have edited the original post to reflect the true standings.

Thanks so much for catching my error, Reb!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

While The Fellowship may have won Brainbuster last night, it was not by enough to help them in the tournament. Sincerest congrats, then, to our friends at Danny K's for their triumph in the 9th Annual Brainbuster Cup:

(Thanks, as always, to Don Denton for tracking the tournament on his site.)

While we are at it, we should all also congratulate Danny K's for being one of only two teams ever to hold the Brainbuster, Sandbag, and McCarthy Cup trophies simultaneously. This is technically the second time they have done this, but the first time was only for a single hour in 2017 (they won the Brainbuster Cup, but then lost the McCarthy Cup title later that same evening). So, let's proffer them some added laurels for the trifecta and for being--hands down--the best Tuesday tournament team over the past year!

In other tournament news, the folks Alien Bar locked up the bronze medal last night, a feat which was even more impressive considering that a technical glitch forced them to post a zero as their official score. Congrats to them, and I trust someone from Albuquerque will contact me with an address to which I can ship their medal.

Before wrapping up things here, I would like to thank all of the other teams--Moose McGuires, Time Out West, Big Guys, Primetime, Teasers, Hanko's, Phat Turtle, Arch II, Wallaby's, Blue Horn, and Alabama's Little Bit of Texas--for taking part in the largest field to contest the Brainbuster Cup since before the Pandemic. It is great to see the Tuesday night Buzztime community growing again.

So the 9th Annual Brainbuster Cup is now officially in the books. Congrats again to Danny K's--both for the championship and the trifecta--and we look forward to them hosting the 10th annual edition next April.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:44 pm 
Lotsa Posta

It was a good run for all of us. The Fellowship had us on the ropes again as usual. I also congratulate the other participants as it makes the competition mor meaningful. It's great to see those other players out to keep the spirit alive.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Way to go Gogetem, young Dave, Cowgirl, Gambit and everyone else there at Danny Ks. Incredible run over the 3 tournaments. You all have a good deal of tourneys to run starting in the fall. Good luck with that.

Up next on the schedule the Mudee Thursday Six Challenge in the fall.

Let’s see a picture of all 3 trophies together.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!