New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stupid Answers?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 pm 

Had an 'LOL' moment during BTT today... The question asked who portayed Richie Valens in La Bamba. One of the answers was Nick Nolte :lol: . I didn't know where to post this but I figured it'd be safe here. It might be fun to have a "Stupid Answers" thread for things like this. There are also some witty 'after question' tidbits on CD occasionally.

Post subject: Re: Stupid Answers?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
A Martial Birth

At least that's in the same area as the real answer. They've had some really bad ones before and of course their common joke answers.
I don't mind jokes in general trivia games, but on any of the "premium" games I think it's almost insulting.
Wednesday during Playback they had a question about a court case (I think it was New York Times verse Sullivan regarding defamation but not sure) and one of the answers was Tiefly vs. Something. I know that's a general question that shows up in Countdown and stuff and that's probably where it was pulled from, but I just think that's lazy question writing. If you ask a serious question give real possible answers. If the question is intentionally a gimme (eg "Which of these is not round?") then jokes are fine I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tim wrote:
At least that's in the same area as the real answer. They've had some really bad ones before and of course their common joke answers.
I don't mind jokes in general trivia games, but on any of the "premium" games I think it's almost insulting.
Wednesday during Playback they had a question about a court case (I think it was New York Times verse Sullivan regarding defamation but not sure) and one of the answers was Tiefly vs. Something. I know that's a general question that shows up in Countdown and stuff and that's probably where it was pulled from, but I just think that's lazy question writing. If you ask a serious question give real possible answers. If the question is intentionally a gimme (eg "Which of these is not round?") then jokes are fine I think.

Tim, that was in Pastimes. on 11/20/09 (my Birthday) in Twi-hard Topix , I was an answer in a question as a joke. That joke was planned from the very start.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Last edited by MitchWolf on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tim wrote:

That was "Tiefly v. Gadabout" as answer option #3 in the Pastimes game on Wednesday. You are correct in that the question was about the 1964 NY Times v. Sullivan libel case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:52 am 
A Martial Birth

spotes wrote:
That was "Tiefly v. Gadabout" as answer option #3 in the Pastimes game on Wednesday. You are correct in that the question was about the 1964 NY Times v. Sullivan libel case.

I have no idea why I typed Playback. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:39 am 

Go back in and edit and it never happened... 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:17 pm 
SF Pier

I don't know if I ever posted this story at the BT forums (afraid of prying eyes).

A couple of years ago, we would have a good group of 10 or so playing throughout the week. One night with the full contingent there, the first question on a Countdown game was "This Australian band is known for such songs as Back In Black & You Shook Me All Night Long".

The distraction answers were Wham, Guns & Roses, and a couple of others that have now escaped my memory. Traditionally, when a no-brainer question like this appears, we would shout out the wrong answers. If anyone is gullible enough to listen, then they deserve to miss the question. One of our "friends" heard me yell out Guns & Roses, and when AC/DC appeared, he was pissed...."You said Guns & Roses, man!". :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

HOMER wrote:
I don't know if I ever posted this story at the BT forums (afraid of prying eyes).

A couple of years ago, we would have a good group of 10 or so playing throughout the week. One night with the full contingent there, the first question on a Countdown game was "This Australian band is known for such songs as Back In Black & You Shook Me All Night Long".

The distraction answers were Wham, Guns & Roses, and a couple of others that have now escaped my memory. Traditionally, when a no-brainer question like this appears, we would shout out the wrong answers. If anyone is gullible enough to listen, then they deserve to miss the question. One of our "friends" heard me yell out Guns & Roses, and when AC/DC appeared, he was pissed...."You said Guns & Roses, man!". :lol:

That would have been a "no-brainer" only to fans of rock music of that era. People who yell out wrong answers are a form of vermin even worse than sandbaggers.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:39 am 
Lotsa Posta

Falcon wrote:
HOMER wrote:

That would have been a "no-brainer" only to fans of rock music of that era. People who yell out wrong answers are a form of vermin even worse than sandbaggers.

That's why we keep a rope in the back room. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The wife pointed this one out to me on Friday:

During the BT game at 5:00; Jim Broadbent won the best supporting Oscar for this film?

I have it narrowed down to 1 and 4, I have 4, my wife has 1. The answer for #4 was In the Bedroom, she turns to me and says, "Does anybody want to win Best Supporting Actor 'In The Bedroom?'"

For the record, the answer was the 2001 movie "Iris."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am 
SF Pier

Falcon wrote:
HOMER wrote:

To be fair, this person in question was exactly the same age as myself and several of the people at the table. It was not done maliciously. If someone truly doesn't know an answer when we would play as a team, they usually ask or we'll help them out.

And to be completely honest, this person in question could definitely be considered a sandbagger. He rarely volunteers answers when he knows, but happily accepts any answers we would give him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:46 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

spotes wrote:
Tim wrote:

My favorite distractor answer of all time was "FOOBAR THE MAD". I snorted beer through my nose on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:28 am 
Lotsa Posta

scar wrote:
spotes wrote:
Tim wrote:

My favorite distractor answer of all time was "FOOBAR THE MAD". I snorted beer through my nose on that one.

That was one of my favorite too. Luckily, I was between swigs at that time.