Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The new Countdown
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
zog741 wrote:
I have yet to score fewer than 10,200 points on a full Countdown game under the new format after 21 games. Under the old format, I would say my average solo score was about 10,500 and scores in the 8000s occurred more than occasionally. With the new format, my average score should increase by at least 1000. I consider fewer obscure pop-culture questions as a major reason for the increased scores.

People would get fixated on "pop culture," but ignore that a lot of the crap questions were just "crap" from a different era. It looks like both have been removed, and, really, that makes me happy, since the older folks seemed to think it was unforgivable to ask about Britney Spears, but completely forgivable to 4 Cary Grant questions in the same game, or to ask about a movie no one has seen since 1975, forgetting that it was, in fact, just "pop culture" from their era they were remembering (yes, most of those "classics" are actually really bad movies with no redeeming value).

I enjoyed the games I played, except the first Countdown from Saturday, which I almost left when it was a higher % of entertainment than before. I went, "This is even worse!" and almost left. Glad I stuck it out.

I carried these over from another thread to prevent a hijack and because it looks like something folks are going to start wanting to discuss.

The new CD games seem easier. There is no other way to describe it.
Every game seems to have either a perfect or near perfect score.

Is it due to the perceived lack of pop culture, regardless of era?
I, for one, never felt that CD over the last few years was particularly infected by an overwheming influx of PC. There have been categories that have come and gone in swarms over short periods to be sure, but that has been the case with CD since I can remember. And I can remember a long way.
The 15 or so games I've played so far (an admittedly small sample) seem slightly lighter on one PC category only: TV. What I am noticing is that it feels like I'm getting less PC content because the BT games, which were usually heavier on it, have been removed from the equation. The CD games feel about the same.
It doesn't feel like PC has been reduced so much as all of the other categories have been reduced to mostly history and geography questions. This is consistent with CDs from before the BT era. It seems that most good trivia players cut their teeth with these two categories from earlier in the learning process. So it stands to reason that these two categories would benefit people who have a desire to show what they've learned over the years. I've always assumed this was the main reason behind most trivia players' preference for CD. I also think it's the main reason for increased scoring.
I've also noticed more repeats, especially older ones from as far back as four years or so. Did NTN dust off an old CD question file to accommodate the game airing twice as often?

BT actually gave us a tool to fill in some of the blanks: shiny new badges.
The best thing about these badges is that they give a measuring stick for the categories in play among those that play almost nothing except afternoon CDs like myself.
A quick inspection of my 200 or so early badges conforms to my initial impressions of content percentage during actual gameplay.
I'm curious to see how these categories break down over an extended period of time.

So far I only have one real beef about the new CD.
Rankings. Or lack thereof.
I know there are bigger fish to fry right now, but it's hard to believe that this topic has only been mentioned twice in all of these threads and barely at that.
How can BT not manage to air both sets of rankings twice? Given that the second set occasionally pops up briefly, clearly they didn't intend for it to not show at all. Someone over there needs to find the eight seconds or so for the second set to air like they intended.
Here's an idea: GET RID OF THE IN-GAME CONGRATULATORY SCREENS!
Barring isolated technical issues, there was never a problem getting two sets of rankings before the introduction of these unnecessary pieces of puffery. Never.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
My fingers hurt.

Post subject: Re: The new Countdown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

My CD scores have definitely improved with the new games. I do wish that they would run the rankings twice, as it seems there is around 8 mins after each game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:48 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I'm on vacation this week and played the 2:00 Countdown game today. I'm always kidding the 86th Street Pub about numerous Sports IQ questions about Indiana and even Indiannapolis. Today Buzztime asked which year was the American Legion founded? I correctly guessed 1919 over 1946. The factoid afterward said it was founded in Indiannapolis, Indiana. Just wondered how many 86th Street Pub players missed it if any?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:58 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

I find the new one just as difficult when you're watching basketball games at the same time, though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hunk wrote:
I'm on vacation this week and played the 2:00 Countdown game today. I'm always kidding the 86th Street Pub about numerous Sports IQ questions about Indiana and even Indiannapolis. Today Buzztime asked which year was the American Legion founded? I correctly guessed 1919 over 1946. The factoid afterward said it was founded in Indiannapolis, Indiana. Just wondered how many 86th Street Pub players missed it if any?

That ol' chestnut...
That question has been floating around their database for a few years.
Didn't play until 4:30 today, but got it correct previously and beat BT to the punch on that factoid, if memory serves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Whether the games are easier depends on who you ask I think. For me certainly, but the CD top 100 runs out at the 12700s just like it always did - I'm just on the shiny side now when I rarely was before. Obviously as the movie/tv/pop music (of many decades ago or today all) aficionados have suffered, the history/geography/science fans have prospered. Overall averages seem pretty static.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Rhino wrote:
Whether the games are easier depends on who you ask I think. For me certainly, but the CD top 100 runs out at the 12700s just like it always did - I'm just on the shiny side now when I rarely was before. Obviously as the movie/tv/pop music (of many decades ago or today all) aficionados have suffered, the history/geography/science fans have prospered. Overall averages seem pretty static.

I've enjoyed them much more, and in general, when I miss some of them, I actually have the desire to remember it. As much as I joked on them over having two "placenta" answers in one game, I thought the info was at least interesting and worth remembering.

I'm hoping after basketball season is over to get a firm average on how I'm doing on the new ones versus old. I do know I can sit by myself and 12000 - 13000 them, whereas previously I was a 10,000 - 11,000 player. I still get hammered when they ask questions about things like, "Which of these people was a regular on Hollywood Squares" as I don't recall that show even having been on in my life time (I'm sure it was, at some point, just never saw it), but fortunately I don't see 4-6 questions about Elizabeth Taylor, Vivian Vance, Peter Boyle, The Love Boat, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza every game anymore.

Also know I desperately need to learn some worldwide rivers, or I'm not going to ever cross 14k again. I seem to lose on some obscure river question every game that we've actually gotten to play. Looking forward to trivia being back on more than 1 screen at our bar!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Also, the "Fulani" question the other day was pretty neat. One of the first times in ages that I've gone to Wikipedia after seeing a Buzztime question and looked up the answer to see what it was. I kinda like the Fula people now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Dante wrote:
Also know I desperately need to learn some worldwide rivers, or I'm not going to ever cross 14k again. I seem to lose on some obscure river question every game that we've actually gotten to play. Looking forward to trivia being back on more than 1 screen at our bar!

Gotta go with the flow, and keep your knowledge current, if you want to bank those high scores! Just make sure you consult reliable sources

I'm sorry, I'm running off at the mouth here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I miss the music questions I can actually answer unlike some of the obscure data found on Playback. Lunchtime Trivia seems to have cut back a bit even. No complaints on the Late Shift. Those nights I catch a couple of games and Applebee's half price appetizers after 10:00 PM at one of three Tallahassee Applebee's have plenty of them.
Back to kidding 86th St Pub about Indiana questions even on Countdown, today's 4:30 or 5:00 PM EDT game had the question "The Wabash River flows by which Indiana City"? West Lafayette was the only choice in Indiana.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:30 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Hunk wrote:
I miss the music questions I can actually answer unlike some of the obscure data found on Playback. Lunchtime Trivia seems to have cut back a bit even. No complaints on the Late Shift. Those nights I catch a couple of games and Applebee's half price appetizers after 10:00 PM at one of three Tallahassee Applebee's have plenty of them.
Back to kidding 86th St Pub about Indiana questions even on Countdown, today's 4:30 or 5:00 PM EDT game had the question "The Wabash River flows by which Indiana City"? West Lafayette was the only choice in Indiana.

I liked that one. I was trying to think of Indiana cities, then went, "Thanks Buzzies!" ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hunk wrote:

They do that with questions about flyover country all the time.
But if they ask about a bridge in NYC, you can bet your sweet bippy there will a minimum of four NYC bridges up there.
And the California theme parks...my God, the California theme parks...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:49 pm 

Yesterday they had a question about which city lies east of the Mississippi River. Minneapolis was one of the choices (along with Cleveland). Since the Mississippi flows through Minneapolis, Minneapolis is both east and west of the Mississippi. That was confusing for us, but luckily Cleveland was an obvious choice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Beware question 14!

Before I started playing on the 3/24, my buddy STEVE mentioned to me that he had lost five perfect games in a row on #14 on 3/22.
I didn't think much about it at the time other than just attributing it to bad luck.
But since then, I've had 23 games that were perfect through 13 questions.
2 were lost on #15.
19 were lost on #14.
Question fifteen hasn't been much of a prize either.
Talked to YANKEE today and he has noticed this anomaly as well.
Anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:38 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I've noticed a similar phenomenon. I lose most of my perfect games on question 1 :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

3/31 - Four out of five games perfect through 13 questions.
Three lost on question 14.
One on 15.
Missed #8 and #13 in the remaining game.
60% of perfect games lost on #14.

On the bright side, it is nice to see national rankings cycle through two times again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:08 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I haven't read this thread before today and I think it is because threads in the Countdown sub-forum are failing to appear on the front page Active Topics. I always begin on the front page to see what's new.
So this is a test bump to confirm that it won't show on the front page.
Apologies if I'm wrong and it does.
Just in case, I'll contribute on-topic. I tend to noticeably lose perfect games at #11.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:54 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I very typically lose a perfecto in the very first round so generally never have to worry about protecting one into the last round!! However, I was playing a fairly rare Friday night on the 20th and I hit the first 12 for 1000 each. Ended up with a very low 14+K. Only good for 31st in the nation so it was a pretty easy game, but quite fun nonetheless.

SInce the change in Countdown format my average has raised a little over a thousand points. The game is definitely easier, but also I feel that I for one have definitely benefitted from the diminution of "pop-culture" content which is very admittedly my weakest area. The game has become quite a bit more enjoyable, although I typically only play probably 3 -5 CDs a week

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:05 pm 
First Palindrome

Since Harry (SPOTES) can't really post this... i will... He posted 67 1000's in a row on CountDown/LateShift... can anyone mess with that Buzztime Buzzsaw...???
That was Sixty Seven btw....
Tight...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

It is impressive indeed.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:58 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I sure hope that's not the closest Spotes has ever come to a 69 ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

YANKEE wrote:
Since Harry (SPOTES) can't really post this... i will... He posted 67 1000's in a row on CountDown/LateShift... can anyone mess with that Buzztime Buzzsaw...???
That was Sixty Seven btw....
Tight...

So this is what it feels like to have a publicist. :mrgreen:
Oh, sure... I send you a text to torment you and the next thing I know, it's a matter of public record.
Now I'll have to get at least 70 to keep pengwn's mind out of the gutter...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:45 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

spotes wrote:
. . . to keep pengwn's mind out of the gutter...

Many before you have tried. All have failed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:

As of today's date the 100th ranked CD score is 13306.
Three months in and the CD averages in that portion of the rankings have gone up roughly 600 points. That's almost one less missed question per game.
86th St has added 10 handles but even with those removed the 100th average is still around 13200, a healthy 500 point bump.

Last edited by spotes on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:11 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

My average has been rising. Most of my games now are over 13000.