New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fluff Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm 
Centenarian

Is it just this humble player, or have the Countdown games been trending more toward the unplayable from their overemphasis on entertainment?

It seems like this trend has resurfaced this month, and last night at 10pm ET, the Countdown game had 8 of its first 10 questions on pop culture.

Since BT shut down its boards, they may not have noticed backlash from the players, but as Ronald Reagan once said, players will "vote with their feet." I might reduce my play to Wednesday and Thursday night Six, doing both my wallet and liver a huge favor.

What say you, fellow members? Am I observing anomalies, or is Carlsbad back to its old exasperating ways?

Post subject: Re: Fluff Pollution
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:41 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

bigdog216 wrote:
Is it just this humble player, or have the Countdown games been trending more toward the unplayable from their overemphasis on entertainment?

It seems like this trend has resurfaced this month, and last night at 10pm ET, the Countdown game had 8 of its first 10 questions on pop culture.

Since BT shut down its boards, they may not have noticed backlash from the players, but as Ronald Reagan once said, players will "vote with their feet." I might reduce my play to Wednesday and Thursday night Six, doing both my wallet and liver a huge favor.

What say you, fellow members? Am I observing anomalies, or is Carlsbad back to its old exasperating ways?

Hard to say from a sample set of a day, but I definitely experienced the same yesterday. I had one of my worst nights ever since I was completely lost on half the questions (I'm tolerable at Showdown/Playback type entertainment, but the BT/CD ones just murder me.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 am 
Golden Tee Master

[quote="DanteHard to say from a sample set of a day, but I definitely experienced the same yesterday. I had one of my worst nights ever since I was completely lost on half the questions (I'm tolerable at Showdown/Playback type entertainment, but the BT/CD ones just murder me.)[/quote]

Must have been a bunch of entertainment questions in that Sci-files game too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Dante wrote:
bigdog216 wrote:

Hard to say from a sample set of a day, but I definitely experienced the same yesterday. I had one of my worst nights ever since I was completely lost on half the questions (I'm tolerable at Showdown/Playback type entertainment, but the BT/CD ones just murder me.)

I would be extremely leery of jumping to conclusions based on one evening.

A game may only have 3 pop culture questions (which I think most of us would say would be OK out of 15 questions) but one or two stupid questions could stick in our mind and colors our impression of the entire game.

I played two games of Countdown on Tuesday and I won't draw any conclusions from them except that the network averages were high enough to make me wonder if the games were complete repeats. Repeats concern me a whole hell of a lot more than the mix of questions

put some data together for a minimum of at least 20 CD games from a variety of times and days and then you legitimately present a case.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:52 pm 
Lotsa Posta

bigdog216 wrote:

I noticed the same result on several games this week. I did vote with my feet and came home last night. That saved me about 60 bucks, but unfortunately my favorite waitress did miss her nice tip that she would have gotten.

IMHO, it will not matter what we think, nothing will change unless we vote with our feet and let our sites know why. Then, if the sites start pulling the games out will BT get the message. With the management and attitudes that they have in place now, they still may not figure it out.

I will add that the reps that I have met are not in that category. It's just too bad that they aren't in a power position.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 pm 

Lots of them. CD and BT aren't much fun. I am going to play in the Showdown tourney and probably Raceday but that's it. And it's the QUALITY of the questions. A classic movie I don't know who starred in? My bad. Something about who plays what character on some soap opera? Who the hell knows that?! And who gives a shit?! Those are TERRIBLE questions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MRBRNS wrote:
Lots of them. CD and BT aren't much fun. I am going to play in the Showdown tourney and probably Raceday but that's it. And it's the QUALITY of the questions. A classic movie I don't know who starred in? My bad. Something about who plays what character on some soap opera? Who the hell knows that?! And who gives a shit?! Those are TERRIBLE questions.

I am down to playing the Tuesday games and occasionally Six, and Spotlight. I stick around to play a CD game and one or two BT games. I am going out tonight to play Playback which is rare for me. I have nothing else to do tonight and there is nothing on the tube that I want to watch.

I use to be a 5-6 night a week, six hour per night player until about 2 years ago. The bar maids at my home site miss me.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank