New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Normal Gamma Rays
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:50 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Playing Countdown at B-52 this afternoon, I was asked, Which partnership is credited with the discovery of gamma rays?

The tagline, or apology, at the end of the question (if you guessed Pierre and Marie Curie rather than Penn and Teller, well played!), stated that Gamma rays are a lot like X-rays, but they are normally of a higher frequency.

Maybe it's just me, but I have to worry about what "abnormal" gamma rays are up to these days. Are they gang-banging some innocent neutrino?

Post subject: Re: Normal Gamma Rays
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 pm 
Lotsa Posta

And don't get me started on Glory Daze.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Although "The Abnormal Gamma Rays" would be a great name for a thrash metal band.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Odd, there's no thread on NewScaratings for unusual or especially inventive band names. I've had the pleasure of acquaintance with several Jane's, most of them very personable and none of them addicted. I've never known well anyone named Kennedy, and cannot attest to the mortality of that clan. So those bands deserve passing scores. The English Christian-lite band, Sixpence None the Richer, deserves a place, even without their hit single, "Kiss Me."

It just seems strange to me that ICEMAN, or some other hipster, hasn't launched a thread for cool band names. If there's one in here, I can't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
GONE D wrote:
Odd, there's no thread on NewScaratings for unusual or especially inventive band names. I've had the pleasure of acquaintance with several Jane's, most of them very personable and none of them addicted. I've never known well anyone named Kennedy, and cannot attest to the mortality of that clan. So those bands deserve passing scores. The English Christian-lite band, Sixpence None the Richer, deserves a place, even without their hit single, "Kiss Me."

It just seems strange to me that ICEMAN, or some other hipster, hasn't launched a thread for cool band names. If there's one in here, I can't find it.

You can take that hipster label & cram it up your ass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

THE ICEMAN wrote:
You can take that hipster label & cram it up your ass.

I still think a thread on Unusual Band Names would be worth a peek. And thanks, ICEMAN, for justifying the label.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am 

Maybe more culturally hip types like The Iceman and GoneD could explain what a "hoople" is in the band name "Mott the Hoople". Another name that has always intrigued me is "Toad the Wet Sprocket". The 1960s Psychedelic Era bands had some great names likes "Strawberry Alarm Clock", "Electric Prunes", and the "Blues Magoos". Sorry if I diverted the discussion to far from "normal gamma rays".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:46 pm 
Lotsa Posta

JohnL wrote:
"Mott the Hoople"

That was a strange one. It was never clear to me whether this was an imperative, in which the listener is instructed to perform some act on the Hoople. (Hopefully the Hoople had been consulted in advance, and was OK with being motted.) More likely, "the Hoople" is a titular designation, to distinguish our Mott from other Motts. Spurred by JOHNL, I did a little digging.

The latter seems to be the case. Before selecting the band's name, one of the members read a novel called "Mott the Hoople," by an author named Manus, in which Mott, a scam artist, speculates whether he should become a hoople, his term for a law abiding square. More generally, Wiktionary defines a hoople as "a mound of dirt." It would appear that the central character, Norman Mott, does not hold honest citizens in particularly high esteem.

Last edited by GONE D on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:22 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

JohnL wrote:
Another name that has always intrigued me is "Toad the Wet Sprocket".

This is a Monty Python reference. On the group's "Contractual Obligation" album, a short track called "Rock Notes" purports to be an update of news from contemporary rock acts. It starts, "Rex Stardust, lead electric triangle with Toad The Wet Sprocket, has had to have an elbow removed following their recent successful worldwide tour of Finland..."

If you want to listen to the whole thing, it's about two minutes long. It also has a bunch of other made-up band names, if you're collecting them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmd10urFnho

Last edited by ANON on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm 
Lotsa Posta

That is a worthwhile link, ANON. It went by a little fast the first time, so l listened to it again, and it went by faster the second time. The breathless, Entertainment Tonight style of delivery was alone worth the price of admission. Under the circumstances, I had no choice but to book a flight to Reykjavik. There's no way I'm missing the Dead Monkeys Drop on Iceland World Tour. I'm cranked to 11.

Since many of us are deeply perplexed by reality, so often stranger than fiction - here I'm going to ignore the advice I was about to provide.

I may have started this thread but don't wish to direct it. Another cultural reference, instead. Aimee Mann, who has penned so many songs of failed romance, named her band, Til Tuesday, after an assignation in Flaubert's novel, Sentimental Education. Flaubert's jejune hero, Frederic, makes an assignation with the object of his desire, Mme Arnoux, and they part ways, promising each other, "Til Tuesday." Between then and Tuesday, the 1848 Revolution breaks out in Paris, the pavement of the streets is folded into barricades, and the assignation could not be kept.

I'm well-advised that the David who appears in many of Aimee Mann's lyrics is a hugely successful music producer, and led his more talented, and much younger girlfriend, on a string.