New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Fickle Finger of Fate
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 am 
Lotsa Posta

As a more or less daily player of afternoon Countdown quizzes, I have long since given up trying to figure out what makes my fellow competitors tick. But I'm still often enough surprised by the results.

Last Thursday afternoon I played a damnable quiz, obscurely worded questions regarding even more obscure facts, and I landed a 13.6, which was more hard won than most of my recent perfectos. While I was fairly confident I was on the first page of the results - in point of fact 7th, and with others playing in groups, 13th when all was said and done - I was astonished that DTHDLR and one other commentator on these pages, whose handle I'm sorry to have forgotten, both collected 15K's. If memory serves, there was also a 14.1, and then the rest of us. I was more surprised than if my 13.6 had won. How did those guys do that?

I scrolled through my gameplay history. In the last six months, I've won one (1) Countdown with a score below 14K: a 13.996 on January 28th. But then yesterday, Saturday, while playing with JOHNL, I had a 14,222 and finished 129th. The one question we both missed referenced Reggie Jackson's first home run. Is that really so obviously not Eddie Murray?

So I asked JOHNL about a question I'd seen in the Thursday game when DTHDLR ran the table: Who was inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame along with his fellow Brit John Lennon in 1994: Jeff Beck, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Elton John, or David Bowie? I saw the drop-down box and burst into laughter. The correct answer, for 204 points, was Elton John.

"I probably would have taken him," JOHNL replied. "After all, he did a duet with Lennon: 'Whatever Gets You Through the Night'."

To which I replied, less the obscenities, that that was a mighty slender thread for a hook, where all five answers looked perfectly plausible.

I play these games for relaxation, but sometimes it's only the peculiar liquid in front of me that effects the process.