New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Offensive Obama Comment in Glory Daze?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Saw an apology for an offensive Obama comment in Glory Daze that they've now removed. Anyone see what it was?

Post subject: Re: Offensive Obama Comment in Glory Daze?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Saw an apology for an offensive Obama comment in Glory Daze that they've now removed. Anyone see what it was?

I forget what the question was but the "funny" factoid afterwards mentioned something about "...just like Obama destoryed the Democratic Party".

I really wish they would stop trying to be funny and just have normal factoids like every other game. I'm not opposed to the idea in principle, but in practice they're usually not remotely funny. It also causes confusion among people who don't play Glory Daze that often as they're usually expecting a real fact and not a "joke".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:51 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Bonzo wrote:
Dante wrote:

I forget what the question was but the "funny" factoid afterwards mentioned something about "...just like Obama destoryed the Democratic Party".

I really wish they would stop trying to be funny and just have normal factoids like every other game. I'm not opposed to the idea in principle, but in practice they're usually not remotely funny. It also causes confusion among people who don't play Glory Daze that often as they're usually expecting a real fact and not a "joke".

Really? Does no one remember all the damned Bush jokes? Those were way worse.

Either way, people need to lighten up.

And yeah, I'd prefer facts, too, since I think I've laughed twice at any of the "funny" ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:01 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

That's a valid point, I thought the comment was a little harsh but no worse then some of the other comments/jokes they've had in Glory Daze over the years. This one did sort of stand out though because the question had absolutely nothing to do with Obama. Usually the factoid will at least have something to do with the subject of the question, so in this case I could see how someone might think the question writer was just taking a random shot at Obama.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Really? Does no one remember all the damned Bush jokes? Those were way worse.

Either way, people need to lighten up.

And yeah, I'd prefer facts, too, since I think I've laughed twice at any of the "funny" ones.

You seem to forget, it is completely okay to be on one side of the fence. You can not make fun of one person, but it is okay if that other side does it, they sure will piss a fit if the tables are turned..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I remember a "factoid" from Glory Daze in its early days that said: "FDR's favorite cologne was Polio by Ralph Lauren".
Being me, I'm pretty sure that I was the only one who chuckled.
I turned to the guys and asked "What? Too soon?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:43 pm 
Himself Fodder

NTN/BT has insulted hundreds of people over the years in GD including multiple presidents. Now just because they insult one African-American they are forced to apologize? Absurd.

Frankly, I've never found those factoids funny. If this is how things are going to turn out, simply write a standard objective factoid like the other games.

By the way, where did you see this apology?

BO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm 
U > 100 * 2

-BO- wrote:
NTN/BT has insulted hundreds of people over the years in GD including multiple presidents. Now just because they insult one African-American they are forced to apologize? Absurd.

Frankly, I've never found those factoids funny. If this is how things are going to turn out, simply write a standard objective factoid like the other games.

By the way, where did you see this apology?

BO

The addressed it on Face book:

"It has come to my attention that last night during a Glory Daze game a comment was made in extremely poor taste regarding President Obama. After hearing about the actual comment I myself was also offended. This content will be removed immediately. I apologize for the offense that this has caused to our players and actions have been taken to make sure this kind of thing is not a part of our content in the future."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Jethro wrote:
The addressed it on Face book:

"It has come to my attention that last night during a Glory Daze game a comment was made in extremely poor taste regarding President Obama. After hearing about the actual comment I myself was also offended. This content will be removed immediately. I apologize for the offense that this has caused to our players and actions have been taken to make sure this kind of thing is not a part of our content in the future."

I wonder what candy-ass said something anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

This is what one of the comments of the NTN-Buzztime Facebook page:

"The 15th question was about JFK and the fact that he won a Pulitzer before becoming President (Profiles in Courage). The color info after the question was something like "The only prize Obama is going to get is one for destroying the democratic party." I don't mind a wisecrack or two, but this one is out of line since it had NOTHING to do with Kennedy."

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:

"The 15th question was about JFK and the fact that he won a Pulitzer before becoming President (Profiles in Courage). The color info after the question was something like "The only prize Obama is going to get is one for destroying the democratic party." I don't mind a wisecrack or two, but this one is out of line since it had NOTHING to do with Kennedy."

Well, what candy-ass wrote the complaint?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:21 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
MitchWolf wrote:

Well, what candy-ass wrote the complaint?

Some one named Jeff Barsky did the comment. Whoever writes the stuff on Facebook did the apology. As the original complaint, Who Knows!!!!!!

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

The question writers don't have a clue about humor. Their jokes range from stupid to offensive.

If there is a brain among the top leadership at Carlsbad (doubtful), they will end the lame attempts at humor.