New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tuned In 4/7
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

We at Varsity Grill and Bar in Tallahassee, FL have a saying after a poor game, "Well that one's not going on the resume". Such was the case last night with a team score below 6K. Are we expected to watch Hell's Kitchen to know that the third season champion was Rock Harper? Who is he anyway and what is he doing now?

Post subject: Re: Tuned In 4/7
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hunk wrote:
We at Varsity Grill and Bar in Tallahassee, FL have a saying after a poor game, "Well that one's not going on the resume". Such was the case last night with a team score below 6K. Are we expected to watch Hell's Kitchen to know that the third season champion was Rock Harper? Who is he anyway and what is he doing now?

Bad Game Indeed......Not many questions that I know off the bat.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hunk wrote:
Are we expected to watch Hell's Kitchen to know that the third season champion was Rock Harper?

Yes.
It's a TV specialty game.
They expect you to watch and know TV, regardless of its cultural value.

Be careful if you play Playback.
They'll expect you to know stuff about music... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Hunk wrote:
Are we expected to watch Hell's Kitchen to know that the third season champion was Rock Harper?

Yes.
It's a TV specialty game.
They expect you to watch and know TV, regardless of its cultural value.

Yep, and for that matter, be prepared for a question asking for the third season winner of "The Next Food Network Star". Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Yep, and for that matter, be prepared for a question asking for the third season winner of "The Next Food Network Star". Image[/color]

Oooh--I hope so. That was the one where Amy, the eventual winner, had been eliminated, but was brought back as a substitute for the male semi-finalist when it was revealed he'd made up stuff on his resume. I'd been rooting for the Texas gal, Rory, because Amy spent most of her time on the show whining about how much she missed her kids and why she thought she should just give up and go home. After winning, Amy did her show for six weeks or whatever, then quit, so all in all season three was not a good one.

The thing I love about "Next Food Network Star" is that is emphasizes communication and on-screen presence as much as cooking ability. Season after season, people make it on the show, then tell us how scared they are of being on camera, which one would think would suggest to them that a different cooking competition might be in order. But then we've also had the "Survivor" contestants who don't like dealing with nature, so reality show myopia isn't confined to the foodies.

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:15 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

AARDVK wrote:
liljol wrote:
Yep, and for that matter, be prepared for a question asking for the third season winner of "The Next Food Network Star". Image

Oooh--I hope so. That was the one where Amy, the eventual winner, had been eliminated, but was brought back as a substitute for the male semi-finalist when it was revealed he'd made up stuff on his resume. I'd been rooting for the Texas gal, Rory, because Amy spent most of her time on the show whining about how much she missed her kids and why she thought she should just give up and go home. After winning, Amy did her show for six weeks or whatever, then quit, so all in all season three was not a good one.

Well, even though Amy Finley was then calling The Site-Poor Backyard (specifically, La Mesa) her home, I was also rooting for Rory. Unfortunately, I'm convinced that when Rory let it slip during the semi-final episode that she would prefer facing Amy instead of JAG in the final, that turned enough other viewers against her during the voting for Amy to win.

AARDVK wrote:
The thing I love about "Next Food Network Star" is that is emphasizes communication and on-screen presence as much as cooking ability. Season after season, people make it on the show, then tell us how scared they are of being on camera, which one would think would suggest to them that a different cooking competition might be in order. But then we've also had the "Survivor" contestants who don't like dealing with nature, so reality show myopia isn't confined to the foodies.

What's also been more than a lil interesting these past few years is to see a few of the eliminated contestants also get Food Network/Cooking Channel shows (Adam Gertler, Kelsey Nixon, and Tom Pizzica come to mind).

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

liljol wrote:
What's also been more than a lil interesting these past few years is to see a few of the eliminated contestants also get Food Network/Cooking Channel shows (Adam Gertler, Kelsey Nixon, and Tom Pizzica come to mind).

They also show up on Chopped All Stars--the new season that just started last night has a whole crop of them. Which is fine by me--because of the nature of the goal, the "likeability" factor of most Next Food Network is higher than the typical Top Chef/Hell's Kitchen contestant who equates trash talking with demonstrating culinary expertise (there have been notable exceptions, but they tend to get weeded out early instead of preserved to the end to heighten the drama.)

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

According to my BT stats, I finished 18th in the East.

I have no memory of playing this game at all.

Last thing I remember of Saturday night was doing shots with Rock Harper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:22 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I just remembered another question in the same game about the meaning of the '80's phrase "jump the shark". It means to turn something good into bad. I never heard of the phrase in any decade.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:30 pm 
Centenarian

I remember it from Happy Days but maybe I'm older Hunk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Brandyb wrote:
I remember it from Happy Days but maybe I'm older Hunk.

That was from one of the later episodes of Happy Days. The Fonz jumped a Shark on a surfboard when everbody went to Hawai. The show soon got canceled. Richie had already left the show and if I remember he was in the Airforce stationed in Greenland.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

It has become a term for the moment when a fading show does something stupid in a desperate attempt to raise viewership.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ranger wrote:
It has become a term for the moment when a fading show does something stupid in a desperate attempt to raise viewership.

You are exactly right.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ranger wrote:

Like splitting their show across different time zones?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
ranger wrote:

Like splitting their show across different time zones?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:02 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

ranger wrote:

Well, I'll agree that it means any show [or company] doing something stupid, but I'm not sure it has to be done out of desperation. There are current shows on TV that might not be desperate, but I wonder what the hell they're thinking about when they make abrupt plot changes, including "Awake", which out of the blue introduced the idea that what the main character is experiencing is some sort of conspiracy plot (as opposed to keeping the much more interesting idea that parallel universes exist), and actually enough of "Grey's Anatomy" that I just stopped watching it after several years (Denny as a ghost--really?).

Brooke/AARDVK