New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another iPhone Exploitation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 pm 
Himself Fodder

http://www.buzztime.com/players/bt_prof ... =78&stp=av

Won 3 of the last 4 with perfect/near perfect scores. Sucks in the other games. Is pretty obvious when he cheats and when he does not. All medals won except 1 bronze have been in this game.

Furthermore, BT needs to realize the continuing issue with this and act. There are locations out there that exploit this loophole nearly every day in nearly every specialty and premium game. With 5/6 iPods and a 2-second delay, I could win STC every week and finish top 5 in SD most weeks simply due to game design.

BO

Post subject: Re: Another iPhone Exploitation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm 
Colt

-BO- wrote:
http://www.buzztime.com/players/bt_profile.php?pid=216753&tn=trivia&dn=t7&d=78&stp=av

Won 3 of the last 4 with perfect/near perfect scores. Sucks in the other games. Is pretty obvious when he cheats and when he does not. All medals won except 1 bronze have been in this game.

Furthermore, BT needs to realize the continuing issue with this and act. There are locations out there that exploit this loophole nearly every day in nearly every specialty and premium game. With 5/6 iPods and a 2-second delay, I could win STC every week and finish top 5 in SD most weeks simply due to game design.

BO

Interesting - in the game play history, you can definitely see that when Speed Freaks is about to start, he logs out of one site and into another.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:31 pm 
Himself Fodder

Botanist wrote:
Interesting - in the game play history, you can definitely see that when Speed Freaks is about to start, he logs out of one site and into another.

And that's not the only game. Look at the fact he scored 51k in Six yesterday with a team, yet simultaneously scored 59k solo at another site.

BO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The answer number needs to vary by site. A correct response of, for instance, #4 at one site should have no bearing on the correct response anywhere else. I'm sure I've just stated the obvious, but I really don't see any other ways of fixing this.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
The answer number needs to vary by site. A correct response of, for instance, #4 at one site should have no bearing on the correct response anywhere else. I'm sure I've just stated the obvious, but I really don't see any other ways of fixing this.

-- RWM

Of course there is an easy way to fix this.........TURN THE GPS DISTANCE LIMIT BACK ON....The players should have to be at the bar where they are logged on simple as that. Returning to the 1 mile GPS distance limit would take care of all of this and fix the people guessing a question or 2 from home just to fill in cards.

BT of course thinks everything is just fine as is...what do they care?

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:36 pm 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Of course there is an easy way to fix this.........TURN THE GPS DISTANCE LIMIT BACK ON....The players should have to be at the bar where they are logged on simple as that. Returning to the 1 mile GPS distance limit would take care of all of this and fix the people guessing a question or 2 from home just to fill in cards.

BT of course thinks everything is just fine as is...what do they care?

Does anyone know why it was turned off in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:48 pm 

It was turned off because it didn't work correctly. A person with an iPod or iPhone would be sitting at the bar and when they went to connect to that site, the app would say you were not within 0.5 miles of that site. They turned it off and said they would turn it back on in a later revision of the app once they worked out the problem, but that never happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

PHINS wrote:
It was turned off because it didn't work correctly. A person with an iPod or iPhone would be sitting at the bar and when they went to connect to that site, the app would say you were not within 0.5 miles of that site. They turned it off and said they would turn it back on in a later revision of the app once they worked out the problem, but that never happened.

That was only happening at a few bars due to an incorrect google map location. It wouldn't be too hard to fix the few google map locations that were off. Google has a link on the map pages to point out errors. Anyone can suggest fixes to google it doesn't have to be BT.

But no.. BT takes the easy way out again. Setting the GPS distance to 1 or 2 miles would also eliminate a lot of those errors. No need to turn it completely off.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:38 pm 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
PHINS wrote:

That was only happening at a few bars due to an incorrect google map location. It wouldn't be too hard to fix the few google map locations that were off. Google has a link on the map pages to point out errors. Anyone can suggest fixes to google it doesn't have to be BT.

But no.. BT takes the easy way out again. Setting the GPS distance to 1 or 2 miles would also eliminate a lot of those errors. No need to turn it completely off.

1-2 miles wouldn't be a perfect fix, but improvement. Two places Louisville, BW's Stoneybrook and Old Chicago, are less than a mile from each other (same shopping center).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:34 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

Makes more sense to just physically assault the people who do it.

You can't stop people from farking with technology for their advantage.

You can, on the other hand, break their fingers, toes, and nose, so they can't use a playmaker or phone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
Makes more sense to just physically assault the people who do it.

You can't stop people from farking with technology for their advantage.

You can, on the other hand, break their fingers, toes, and nose, so they can't use a playmaker or phone.

I am taking this as tongue-in-cheek, although the breaking of appendages is not something I personally care to joke about. As you've stated, you can't stop people from using technology for their advantage. It is BT's task to stay a few steps ahead of those who will use that technology unethically. I, for one, would prefer that this be accomplished by a means that will not get people arrested or sued!

Having GPS distance restrictions is not the perfect solution, but it seems to be an inexpensive means to greatly alleviate the problem. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:44 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I wonder if any bar owners are aware of this situation. If I owned a bar I would be very upset with BT for allowing people at other bars to play the games at my bar without buying any food or drink; especially if they are acing out my paying customers.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 am 
Lotsa Posta

ERIC wrote:
I got an idea on how to stop the cheating from site to site via Mobile phone/ Ipod app.

Have a numerical code you have to enter in before logging into the game via Iphone/Ipod /Android. Make it a 3-4 digit code and randomize the numbers for each game so it's not the same number each time. If they player is already logged in, they only have to enter the code once. This would force them to play at the site. This would cut down on cheating and people who foolishly play just to fill cards. Plus it will encouage players to get out to play. Anyone like this idea?

---------------------------
Ring ring
Ring ring
Ring ring
Thanks for calling Joe's Trivia bar, can I help you?
Can I talk to to the bartender on duty?
Sure....hang on.

Bar, this is Frank
Hey Frank....It's Bill. What's the code for this game?
Hey Bill. It's BR 549
Thanks Frank. Later
-----------------------------
yea, it would be a good idea, and would cut the problem somewhat, but there's always a way around any good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

“People who foolishly play just to fill cards...”

If BT doesn't have a problem with people logging in remotely, and pressing a couple of random guesses but to fill out their cards, then it's their contest and their rules.

Personally, I show up for most of the games. But am I going to drive 20 minutes (each way) to BWW or Bostons in the middle of my work day just to answer one fricking Lunchtime Trivia question? No way in hell! And why should I use a pass if I don't have to? Just log in remotely on my lunch break, answer a question, and go about the rest of my day.

Using one's phone or tablet to cheat on Speed Freaks is a much bigger issue in my opinion.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:09 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:
“People who foolishly play just to fill cards...”

Personally, I show up for most of the games. But am I going to drive 20 minutes (each way) to BWW or Bostons in the middle of my work day just to answer one fricking Lunchtime Trivia question? No way in hell! And why should I use a pass if I don't have to? Just log in remotely on my lunch break, answer a question, and go about the rest of my day.

Personally, I show up for every game. Why would I even start a game that I'm not trying to beat everybody on the network? See, like Herm Edwards, I play to win the game. Every game. Otherwise why play?

Quote:
Using one's phone or tablet to cheat on Speed Freaks is a much bigger issue in my opinion.

Wholeheartedly agree.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

I still say that Speed Freaks shouldn't even have medals or show national rankings. Can't there be one game a week that is an honest in-house solo game? The game isn't perfect, but it is unique.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tolle wrote:
I still say that Speed Freaks shouldn't even have medals or show national rankings. Can't there be one game a week that is an honest in-house solo game? The game isn't perfect, but it is unique.

Completely agree.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:54 pm 
Himself Fodder

The biggest problem is the people who design these apps have no idea how the system operates. No idea about sites not being in perfect synch, no idea that people will choose to play at a different site than the one they are physically at. No idea about the holes in the system whatsoever.

Therefore those who understand how to exploit the system will easily do so. And there have been hacking exploits with the iPhone app since the first day it was released.

BO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 pm 
Lotsa Posta

ERIC wrote:
It was somewhat of a fix.. Correct that NOTHING is perfect unless you remove the app completely. Which of course will not happen. But any input I could give to possibly in someway shape or form "help" the situation, I'm open to give ideas.

I shouldn't of put "foolishly play to fill cards" but for someone to play one question and randomly in the dark try to get points to complete a card, is sort of in my mind, is something I don't do. I play every game I play. I'm at the place where I play and no other place. No randomly hitting a button hoping to get 1000. The bigger issue here is cheating. I don't condone it. As some of you remember, I called out a friend of mine for doing it and told him the backlash it could cause. In turn he quit doing it, he doesn't play as much either. I'll try to think of other ideas that could be brought up that might help the situation.

I disagree on completely removing the app. It does serve a purpose, which is to allow people to play the game if there are no available boxes. I remember on the old Buzztime forum people asking how to get a box they can call their own. Well, now they can. True the battery on the phone dies quickly, and true there are issus with the app not connecting, but it I wouldn't remove the app simply because of the issue with Speed Freaks. I vote to remove Speed Freaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
ERIC wrote:
It was somewhat of a fix.. Correct that NOTHING is perfect unless you remove the app completely. Which of course will not happen. But any input I could give to possibly in someway shape or form "help" the situation, I'm open to give ideas.

I shouldn't of put "foolishly play to fill cards" but for someone to play one question and randomly in the dark try to get points to complete a card, is sort of in my mind, is something I don't do. I play every game I play. I'm at the place where I play and no other place. No randomly hitting a button hoping to get 1000. The bigger issue here is cheating. I don't condone it. As some of you remember, I called out a friend of mine for doing it and told him the backlash it could cause. In turn he quit doing it, he doesn't play as much either. I'll try to think of other ideas that could be brought up that might help the situation.

I disagree on completely removing the app. It does serve a purpose, which is to allow people to play the game if there are no available boxes. I remember on the old Buzztime forum people asking how to get a box they can call their own. Well, now they can. True the battery on the phone dies quickly, and true there are issus with the app not connecting, but it I wouldn't remove the app simply because of the issue with Speed Freaks. I vote to remove Speed Freaks

I would wager that are more people cheating with the app than there are those using it because a site is out of boxes. The iphone app + player cards = people doing whatever they can to get their beloved player plus points. I will never understand why anyone cares about those things. It is like a perfect attendance award vs. making the honor roll in school.

Disagree on getting rid of Speed Freaks. Although flawed, I actually like the game. I think most (not all) of the people that don't like it are team players that are afraid of being outshined by someone else... whether it be by knowledge, finger quickness, reading speed, or luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:33 pm 
Golden Tee Master

Tolle wrote:
I would wager that are more people cheating with the app than there are those using it because a site is out of boxes. The iphone app + player cards = people doing whatever they can to get their beloved player plus points. I will never understand why anyone cares about those things. It is like a perfect attendance award vs. making the honor roll in school.

Disagree on getting rid of Speed Freaks. Although flawed, I actually like the game. I think most (not all) of the people that don't like it are team players that are afraid of being outshined by someone else... whether it be by knowledge, finger quickness, reading speed, or luck.

Speed Freaks is flawed on several levels. Slow boxes, no level playing field between sites, etc. Time for this game to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

cards wrote:
Tolle wrote:

Speed Freaks is flawed on several levels. Slow boxes, no level playing field between sites, etc. Time for this game to go.

Level playing field between sites shouldn't matter. National rankings on this game are ridiculous... there should not be any.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

cards wrote:

The examples you give are flaws of both technology and people, not the game.
The inequity in box speed is the primary issue that this game exposes.
But even that handicap is negated through repeat play with random PM usage. This week's hare is next week's turtle. Granted, some players might attempt to garner the "good" box every time. But someone that desperate deserves your pity, not your scorn. :D
I'm going to take a flyer and assume that you meant "no level playing field between sites" because of both the amount and quality of competition within one bar as opposed to another.
When I would put up a solid, say, 23K against players at my bar, I knew I had bested four or five solid players. Is everyone with a score higher than that doing anything remotely close to that against a similar level of competition? Or are they the only player in their bar? Who can tell?
Since this game is specifically designed to pit bar patrons against one another in the same location and level playing fields are nearly impossible, eliminating the rankings is only logical.
While definitely flawed, this game mostly achieves its primary goal of intra-pub tomfoolery.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:29 am 
Himself Fodder

spotes wrote:
When I would put up a solid, say, 23K against players at my bar, I knew I had bested four or five solid players. Is everyone with a score higher than that doing anything remotely close to that against a similar level of competition? Or are they the only player in their bar? Who can tell?

How fun would it have been had we played Speed Freaks on that late Saturday night in STL? LEWSER might have been like Howard Hessman in that episode of WKRP testing how alcohol affects reflexes.

BO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
spotes wrote:

How fun would it have been had we played Speed Freaks on that late Saturday night in STL? LEWSER might have been like Howard Hessman in that episode of WKRP testing how alcohol affects reflexes.

BO

My excuse for my lousy scores in Speed Freaks is alcohol and old age. I know all the answers. I just can't get them in time.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank