New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Enough of Speed Freaks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Speed Freaks is okay. Not the best of games by any means, but as BO stated, it is different. It should not be a "nationally" ranked game though.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: I am afraid to reply, but...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
I like games that are different. The year round in SIQ and SL, matching rounds, etc. Rote Q&A is boring.

BO

I don't want gadgets.
I just want trivia questions.
I could knock out "boring Q & A" all day long and twice on Sunday.
Of course, I'm pretty boring myself.
You see my dilemma...

Post subject: It's different...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Speed Freaks is okay. Not the best of games by any means, but as BO stated, it is different. It should not be a "nationally" ranked game though.

-- RWM

Yep, "Speed Freaks" is different, and it is definitely not the best of games, but I'll go a step farther. It is the WORST of games, and being "different" doesn't give it a pass. It totally sucks. The only good things I can say about this terrible game, is that it gives a lot of us time to go pee, smoke cigarettes, talk about things with others, who also can't stand it, and return some cell phone calls we missed, when playing Buzztime games that were fun.

The questions it asks are usually very simple, everyone knows the answers to them. However, knowing the answer doesn't count on this game. What counts is quick reaction time. This kind of screws us old farts, and gives youngsters an unfair advantage, because their synapses fire a whole lot faster than ours.

The unfairness of this game does not stop there. "All trivia boxes are not created equal." I think you all know that some Playmakers are faster than others, and proximity to the NTN transceiver may also be a factor.

The last time I played this stupid game, and kept losing out on correct answers that I put in almost immediately, I thought I would try something. I didn't even wait for the question to pop up. I just started machine gunning number 3 as fast as I could hit it. Much of the time number 3 wasn't the correct answer, but I knew when it was, there was no way anyone could get the answer before I did. Guess what...? When number 3 was the correct answer, I still got beat out by somebody else.

This game totally sucks. NTN has to get rid of it...!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I'm glad Speed Freaks is on once a week now, but on the very rare times now that I play, I actually kind of like it. But I stand by my prior comment from 15 months ago that it should not be a nationally-ranked game.

Currently, in my opinion, the worst NTN game is Lunchtime Trivia, due to it's slow pace.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Currently, in my opinion, the worst NTN game is Lunchtime Trivia, due to it's slow pace.

Nuts. :roll: The pace is fine for lil old grumpy bastards like me. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Moderating Hobbit

I would not mind speed freaks nowadays if the boxes were all the same speed. But that never happens anywhere. Usually we figure out very quickly who has the fastest box and from then on out there's no point playing. Don't get me wrong, I like getting the fast box, but it truly makes the game pointless when I've explicitly seen three other people with me hit the answer before I do, and then I hit it (let's call that a 1.5 second lag) and it gives me the credit. At that point, it's not a competition -- it's a game about how many "obvious" questions they're going to ask that the fast box is going to get.

We don't encounter those issues on any other game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Slow boxes are an issue in games other than Speed Freaks. On one question in Smartest Bar Six on the final round, I changed my answers on a question with what seemed to be ample time to salvage some points, and wound up taking a zero, which in turn cost me the 4000 round bonus. A slow box could cost someone a perfect game in Countdown or Late Shi(f)t.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: It's different...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
The questions it asks are usually very simple, everyone knows the answers to them. However, knowing the answer doesn't count on this game. What counts is quick reaction time. This kind of screws us old farts, and gives youngsters an unfair advantage, because their synapses fire a whole lot faster than ours.

Age is not an "unfair" advantage, Cloudy. It's a fair one.
Your complaint is like me losing a race to Usain Bolt and complaining that he has an unfair advantage because he runs faster than I do.
Variable box speed is an "unfair" advantage.

Post subject: Re: It's different...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Your complaint is like me losing a race to Usain Bolt and complaining that he has an unfair advantage because he runs faster than I do.

You can't run faster than Usain Bolt? Amateur!!!

/can do it, just doesn't want to embarrass Bolt
//also hates gold medals
///currently dreaming

Post subject: I might disagree with you...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

SPOTES, I might disagree with you on this. In my opinion Buzztime is supposed to be about knowledge of trivia, not how fast someone can hit a button to questions that everyone knows the answers to. Hell, NTN shouldn't waste their time putting trivia questions up on "Speed Freaks". The questions are not necessary.

What they should do is just flash a number between 1 and 5 on the screen, and whoever matches the number first gets the points. No knowledge is needed, it is simply reaction time, fast boxes, and possibly proximity to the transceiver that count.

p.s. I was once pretty fast running track. I beat Floyd Little at a meet at Syracuse University on the boards in some contrived distance that nobody else in the world ran, but Floyd held the world record for it.

Tell you what, even though I'm a little out of shape, I'll take on Usain Bolt in the 100 meters, as long as we both have to answer a Buzztime trivia question correctly, before we are allowed to leave the starting blocks.

p.s. It is with great trepidation that I disagree with you. However, I'm not worried about Usain Bolt under my new 100 meter dash rules. Hell, you could even beat him.

Post subject: Re: Okay, "Speed Freaks"is Okay...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy, you bumped this thread in April 2011 after nearly a year of inactivity to state Speed Freaks sucks.

Eventually soon after this bump you stated
Cloudy wrote:
Okay, "Speed Freaks" is okay. I now understand that there are lot of people out there, who like to play it. The game is impossible for me and extremely frustrating, because even when I know the answers, I am almost always too late hitting the button.

Now you once again bump this thread after a year of inactivity to state once again that Speed Freaks sucks.

How about reviewing this entire thread to refresh yourself with the opinion of others so we don't have to repeat what has already been said?

Cloudy wrote:
In my opinion Buzztime is supposed to be about knowledge of trivia, not how fast someone can hit a button to questions that everyone knows the answers to. Hell, NTN shouldn't waste their time putting trivia questions up on "Speed Freaks". The questions are not necessary.

Tell you what, even though I'm a little out of shape, I'll take on Usain Bolt in the 100 meters, as long as we both have to answer a Buzztime trivia question correctly, before we are allowed to leave the starting blocks.

According to you, no knowledge is necessary to answer any question in SF, therefore Usain will know the answer to the first question and destroy you in this race following your own rules.

Furthermore, I'd bet that no game of SF consists of 28 questions you know with 100% certainty.

BO

Last edited by -BO- on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Haven't played Speed Freaks in months since the only night I play is Wednesday. Haven't mssed it.

I didn't mnd the pace of Lunchtime, but the new mix of questions, with music predominating, has made me a 2:00 PM player.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

As I said, the last couple of times I've played, I actually liked playing Speed Freaks. That said, if BT did get rid of the game, I wouldn't miss it, and I'm not going out of my way on Saturday to an NTN bar just to play it. But if there were a voting round, and the choices were (1) Speed Freaks, and (2) Lunchtime Trivia, I would either (a) go home, or (b) press (1) for SF.

I'm also not going out of my way to play Lunchtime Trivia. But actually, I have another candidate for "worst" game: Raceday Trivia. But is that because I don't follow that sport and don't particularly like it? What if there were a trivia game structured like Raceday Trivia with questions on stuff I actually cared about? As for Lunchtime Trivia; I just think the game is rather slow. There certainly have been worse games in the past (Know Your Server, Duh!...)

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: I might disagree with you...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Spotes: Age is not an "unfair" advantage, Cloudy. It's a fair one.

SPOTES, I might disagree with you on this. In my opinion Buzztime is supposed to be about knowledge of trivia,

Here's our first misconception.
If you're talking about winning BT games, and it sounds like you are, then Buzztime is about getting the most points in a game against everyone else, not knowing more than everyone else.
I lose BT games to people that know less trivia than I do every single day that I play it.
Lucky guesses for 1K can go a long way.

Cloudy wrote:
not how fast someone can hit a button to questions that everyone knows the answers to. Hell, NTN shouldn't waste their time putting trivia questions up on "Speed Freaks". The questions are not necessary.

What they should do is just flash a number between 1 and 5 on the screen, and whoever matches the number first gets the points. No knowledge is needed, it is simply reaction time, fast boxes, and possibly proximity to the transceiver that count.

I've played this game roughly 50 times.
Not once have I known all 28, 29, 30 or 31 answers.
I've gotten 28 and 29K games but, as stated above, that doesn't mean that I knew them all.
If you are routinely finding that this game holds no mystery for you, I bow to your superior intellect... :mrgreen:

Cloudy wrote:
p.s. It is with great trepidation that I disagree with you.

It's when you find yourself agreeing with me regularly that you really need to start worrying, Cloudy... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Golly, looks like I goofed up...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy, you bumped this thread in April 2011 after nearly a year of inactivity to state Speed Freaks sucks.

Eventually soon after this bump you stated
Cloudy wrote:
Okay, "Speed Freaks" is okay. I now understand that there are lot of people out there, who like to play it. The game is impossible for me and extremely frustrating, because even when I know the answers, I am almost always too late hitting the button.

Now you once again bump this thread after a year of inactivity to state once again that Speed Freaks sucks.

How about reviewing this entire thread to refresh yourself with the opinion of others so we don't have to repeat what has already been said?

Cloudy wrote:
In my opinion Buzztime is supposed to be about knowledge of trivia, not how fast someone can hit a button to questions that everyone knows the answers to. Hell, NTN shouldn't waste their time putting trivia questions up on "Speed Freaks". The questions are not necessary.

According to you, no knowledge is necessary to answer any question in SF, therefore Usain will know the answer to the first question and destroy you in this race following your own rules.

Furthermore, I'd bet that no game of SF consists of 28 questions you know with 100% certainty.

BO

Golly, looks like I goofed up a bunch of times. Bo, there a few things in your post that I might disagree with, or have some clarifying points to make about, but life's too short. I'm throwing in the towel. You win...!

p.s. I'm old and don't get a lot of this Internet lingo. What does "bump a thread" mean?

Post subject: Re: I might disagree with you...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
SPOTES, I might disagree with you on this. In my opinion Buzztime is supposed to be about knowledge of trivia,

Here's our first misconception.
If you're talking about winning BT games, and it sounds like you are, then Buzztime is about getting the most points in a game against everyone else, not knowing more than everyone else.
I lose BT games to people that know less trivia than I do every single day that I play it.
Lucky guesses for 1K can go a long way.

Hells bells, couldn't have said it better. With maybe a handful of exceptions, players that allege that they dead lock sure knew every answer for which they score full pull are (hopefully) fooling no one but themselves.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Golly, looks like I goofed up...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
p.s. I'm old and don't get a lot of this Internet lingo. What does "bump a thread" mean?

"Bump a thread" means posting in a thread that has been dormant for a long time. For example, this thread hadn't been touched for a year until you posted a couple of days ago. It's not a good or bad thing necessarily, threads just normally get bumped for odd reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:52 am 
King or Queen Postalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

"Bump a thread" means posting in a thread that has been dormant for a long time. For example, this thread hadn't been touched for a year until you posted a couple of days ago. It's not a good or bad thing necessarily, threads just normally get bumped for odd reasons.

Further to what BO stated, the default view for threads in most any forum is the most recently updated is listed first, and they proceed chronologically on that basis from there. When a thread becomes dormant, it slowly settles down into the sediment with the other dead threads. If it receives a new post, it immediately appears up top again, similar to a bumped volleyball

In some fora (thankfully not here), people will engage in "necroposting," which is the act of posting simply to keep the dead in some semblance of life. The worst offenders will actually post something along the lines of "Posting to keep this thread alive" or "Thread bump." Such individuals are usually trolling for new contributions to some topic, often one they started long ago, but - surprise, surprise - they have nothing new of value to contribute themselves

The More You Know :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:38 pm 
Himself Fodder

pengwn wrote:
In some fora (thankfully not here), people will engage in "necroposting," which is the act of posting simply to keep the dead in some semblance of life.

No, that definitely happens here as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:02 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I've never noticed it to be as egregious as on other sites I visit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
Himself Fodder

pengwn wrote:

Oh heck no, this site has intelligent people posting in it as opposed to the vast majority where idiots post whatever random thoughts fall into their head at that very moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 pm 
Moderating Hobbit

-BO- wrote:
pengwn wrote:

Oh heck no, this site has intelligent people posting in it as opposed to the vast majority where idiots post whatever random thoughts fall into their head at that very moment.

It's bad enough on some forums they actually ban people for doing it. With the exception of three people who are no longer members here for various reasons, Scaratings has the largest collection of intelligent, even-headed people (even the ones who are most acerbic!) of any board I've been on in the last fifteen years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Dante wrote:
-BO- wrote:
pengwn wrote:

It's bad enough on some forums they actually ban people for doing it. With the exception of three people who are no longer members here for various reasons, Scaratings has the largest collection of intelligent, even-headed people (even the ones who are most acerbic!) of any board I've been on in the last fifteen years.

Wow, we should all gather together at some kind of bash !

No wait, prescribed term......

Post subject: "Speed Freaks" is for...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

"Speed Freaks" is for freaks... I absolutely HATE this game, with the possible exception that it gives me a long time to smoke cigarettes outside, while it is on. If I played this game against a cartload of chimpanzees, one of the chimpanzees would win every time. The game totally sucks, and NTN should get rid of it. NTN has created a lot of new games over the years, but this one is the WORST...!!! :mrgreen:

..................................................................... "Speed Freaks" MUST DIE...!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

One man crusade against Speed Freaks by CLOUDY the Bumper? I hope they never get rid of it. I don't think one game a week where you can't ride the jock of someone else is that terrible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next