New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Possible Speed Freaks Loophole?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:19 pm 
Himself Fodder

As little as I play this good game, perhaps this is already well known amongst regulars, who knows. But I wanted to throw something I find strange out there.

It involves KRATOS, a player based in OH but playing across the state line in Huntington, WV. A fairly good player judging from BT and CD averages, a complete monster when it comes to SF. But not every single time. Here are his SF results: http://www.buzztime.com/players/bt_prof ... =78&stp=av

He has 5 gold medals, all from SF and all in the last couple of months. 4 of those 5 games he has scored 28k, quite possibly the max. The other he scored 26k, but there were also 2 other players at this location that game. Last night his 28k was dominating, winning the nation by around 6k. I find it strange that one could ace this game 4 times, about 1 in 3 of his recent games played.

And then, there seems to be a pattern emerging although it's a very small sample size. He aces both games in the same week. He started with the games on 9/29 and 10/1 scoring 28k both times. Then winning both the 10/27 and 10/29 games with 28k and 26k. And now last night (11/10) he aces an apparently tough game with 28k. Anybody want to bet he wins tomorrow's game (11/12) with another 28k?

BO

Post subject: Re: Possible Speed Freaks Loophole?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I have your answer for you, I-Pod/I-Phone. The person doing it also plays at a site close to there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 pm 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
I have your answer for you, I-Pod/I-Phone. The person doing it also plays at a site close to there.

Sure, that's always a possibility. But why only for that game? Or is he going to be SF's version of ROGUE in LTT? :twisted:

BO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:32 pm 
SF Pier

I think it's clearly the i-phone. It's likely being used at the Ironton BWW, where there are several players playing Speed Freaks, so it is moving quickly, and the answers are available for the iPhone user, logged on in WV, but watching answers in Ironton. Speed Freaks is perfect for this sort of gimmick. Especially if no one is logged on at the WV site. Other games don't reveal the answer 'til it's too late, but in SF, it's revealed in a second or two, and then you can get full points for it at the other location when the question comes up. I guess that if you like to see your name in #1 slot on BT, then go for it.
If Buzztime truly wanted the game to be played in the spirit they intended, they wouldn't give medals, or show National Scores, just location winners, in order, based on how many players with positive scores that they beat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:52 pm 
Himself Fodder

ERIC wrote:
Although I'm surprised that nobody else figured this out. I would suggest a patch of some sort for the mobile playmaker.

I would like to personally apologize if this kind of play offended anyone.

This was discovered within 24 hours of the mobile PM release. I simply thought that since he never used it for other games, that it was something specific to SF.

No need to apologize, you can't control what others do. Unless of course it was you. :D

BO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The problem could be fixed if BT would turn the "phone and bar location distance limit" back on.

I believe BT turned that feature off allowing players to be logged in at a bar while not even close to that bar. The reason was some bars were not properly located by Google maps. Wouldn't it be better to fix the bar locations and cut out the possibility for cheating.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 am 
The Meaning of Life

BUD wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to fix the bar locations and cut out the possibility for cheating.

The problem is that the error isn't necessarily in Buzztime's location database. The iPod Touch (and perhaps the older iPhones) don't use GPS for positioning, but instead use the Skyhook Wireless database which likely doesn't have 100% of locations identified. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

EGADS!!!

What a bag of douche!!!

Assholes never cease to amaze me. Find a loophole and exploit it.

And doing this bullshit out of a WV site really pisses me off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:42 pm 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:

Oh, come on... we don't hold you responsible for everything that happens in WV!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Oh, come on... we don't hold you responsible for everything that happens in WV!

That's funny! :)

Stuff like this scam just irks me.

Huntington is getting a new site soon, so I hope I run into this wonderful Speed Freak player and bask in his superior game playing skillz.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:
EGADS!!!

What a bag of douche!!!

Assholes never cease to amaze me. Find a loophole and exploit it.

Unfortunately the iPhone app opened up a huge loophole that could be exploited in any and every game. I kind of doubt the BT developers ever realized the possibilities.

When was the last time anybody here was unable to play due to all the PM's being used/inoperable?

BO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:14 pm 
Golden Tee Master

I said this back in February. This game needs to go away. No one plays on a level playing field. Slow boxes versus fast boxes. One player at a location versus multiple players at a location. This game should not have a national board, metals or averages. This game is set up for people to cheat. This game either needs major changes or it needs to go to the bad game graveyard.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 am 
Himself Fodder

cards wrote:
I said this back in February. This game needs to go away. No one plays on a level playing field. Slow boxes versus fast boxes. One player at a location versus multiple players at a location. This game should not have a national board, metals or averages. This game is set up for people to cheat. This game either needs major changes or it needs to go to the bad game graveyard.

It's an excellent concept and great fun when played in the right setting, which doesn't always happen.

The game should not have a national board, medals, or averages. As a matter of fact, when the game was first introduced we were told that it would not. If this would have been the case, all that would have mattered would be what happens at each individual site and nobody else would ever know.

Funny how people tend to complain about the reaction games ala Restore Order.

BO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ERIC wrote:
I've worked hard on getting my site on the boards on any given night. I want to say once again, I do NOT condone cheating of any kind. My team on Showdown nights have been playing together since 1999, we have never cheated in any way, nor will ever cheat. I do not want what has occurred to ruin the image of the site that I have honestly worked hard to get onto the boards. I've played this game for 17 years. And I do not want people to look down on me. I talked to Jeff about what he did, he promised me that he would never do what he did again. It was hard to confront my friend about this, but when it comes to the greater good to not only make sure it's fair for people at my site, as well as national Boards, I'm going to do everything in my power. This includes letting him know what he's doing and what results could occur.

I never would want my site labeled as a cheating site. And because my friend found a technicality or (loophole) in the timing of sites on a specific game, my play ethic is getting thrown under the bus. I aplologize to everyone for what happened. There's not much else that I can physically do.

No one is throwing you under the bus.

My reply to your PM was your buddy's action MIGHT lead others to percieve your site as not on the level.

Eric, I don't think anyone is calling you out. The fact that you have told him to stop is good enough for me.

Last edited by tiefly on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
No one is throwing you under the bus.

My reply to your PM was your buddy's action MIGHT lead others to percieve your site as not on the level.

Eric, I don't think anyone is calling you out. The fact that you have told him to stop is good enogh for me.

Me too. And thanks for taking on the difficult task of confronting your friend. I know that cannot have been easy.