It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: SOCCER-THEMED TOPIX TRIVIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:07 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
kaufman wrote:
So what kind of beverage is Metrostar?

The MetroStars were renamed as the Red Bulls in 2006 when they were purchased by Red Bull GmbH, the Austrian company that sells the drink.

-- RWM
Yes, I know. I'm also a traditionalist who will proudly stand in front of the corporate whoring bulldozer.

I still call the Houston Astros' ballpark Enron Field; let them sow what they have reaped!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

kaufman wrote:
zog741 wrote:
kaufman wrote:

The MetroStars were renamed as the Red Bulls in 2006 when they were purchased by Red Bull GmbH, the Austrian company that sells the drink.

-- RWM
Yes, I know. I'm also a traditionalist who will proudly stand in front of the corporate whoring bulldozer.

I still call the Houston Astros' ballpark Enron Field; let them sow what they have reaped!

So then who will you be rooting for tonight, in downtown DC, the Brewers or the Expos?

I'll be there with a Brewers Jersey on.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

You must mean the Pilots or the Expos, right?

edit: never mind me, I whiffed. Didn't know it was the modern Orioles playing and not the modern Brewers. Bud gimmicked it correctly.
Next batter: kaufman, will explain.

Last edited by whales on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:46 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The franchise that is now the Orioles were the St. Louis Browns from 1903-53 and the (different) Milwaukee Brewers from 1901-2.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:43 pm 
Centenarian

kaufman wrote:
zog741 wrote:
kaufman wrote:

-- RWM

Good thing you don't follow the Japanese Baseball League teams. Over there, the teams are not named after the cities they play in; they are named after the corporation who owns (or sponsors) them.

Some examples:
(1.) The Japanese baseball Giants play in Tokyo, but Yomiuri is the parent company of a major Japanese newspaper, the Yomiuri Shimbun. So, instead of being called the Tokyo Giants, it's officially known as the Yomiuri Giants.

(2.) Another team is called the Fighters. Their sponsor is a meatpacking company called Nippon Ham, and they're called the Nippon Ham Fighters. Several American sportswriters have joked about it, and said, "What the hell is a 'ham fighter'?" :lol:

(3.) There's a team called the Swallows, after the bird, and not what you do while eating! :D They also play in Tokyo, but instead of calling the Tokyo Swallows, they are named after the team's owner: The Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd., a milk-like beverage company. The Yakult Swallows.

(4.) The Hanshin Tigers are named after Hanshin Railways.

Imagine this happening in MLB today: The Enron Astros? The McDonald's Padres? The Budweiser Cardinals? The IBM Yankees? The Nintendo Mariners? The Wrigley Chewing Gum Cubs? :o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:21 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Extend that to other leagues, and you'd get the NHL Coyotes . . . of the NHL

At least we'd still have the Green Bay Packers, I suppose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
Good thing you don't follow the Japanese Baseball League teams. Over there, the teams are not named after the cities they play in; they are named after the corporation who owns (or sponsors) them.

Some examples:
(1.) The Japanese baseball Giants play in Tokyo, but Yomiuri is the parent company of a major Japanese newspaper, the Yomiuri Shimbun. So, instead of being called the Tokyo Giants, it's officially known as the Yomiuri Giants.

(2.) Another team is called the Fighters. Their sponsor is a meatpacking company called Nippon Ham, and they're called the Nippon Ham Fighters. Several American sportswriters have joked about it, and said, "What the hell is a 'ham fighter'?" :lol:

(3.) There's a team called the Swallows, after the bird, and not what you do while eating! :D They also play in Tokyo, but instead of calling the Tokyo Swallows, they are named after the team's owner: The Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd., a milk-like beverage company. The Yakult Swallows.

(4.) The Hanshin Tigers are named after Hanshin Railways.

Imagine this happening in MLB today: The Enron Astros? The McDonald's Padres? The Budweiser Cardinals? The IBM Yankees? The Nintendo Mariners? The Wrigley Chewing Gum Cubs? :o

Well, hell, dear evil twin. All of that reminds me of the only time I ventured across that huge Pacific pond back in 1970, representing this country as part of The University of California Marching Band at Expo 70 and a good part of the rest of Japan.

One of our stops was in Hiroshima, where we performed at the Toyo Kogyo (Mazda) employees' gym (not much different from then Harmon Gymnasium). One of our guides told us that their local baseball team was The Toyo Kogyo Carp, but because they were so lousy, they called them *crap* instead. :o :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I thought tonight's Topix was a week premature. Although the only games left are the championship and the third-place games, a game entitled World Cup Review should only have been played after those games were finished.

Other than that, another excellent game. The scores were higher than I had expected, but it was probably easier to research the game; my 11K did not come close to making the network scoreboard, although that was similar to my scores in the prior two weeks.

Who did Brazil defeat to open the 2014 World Cup?
Luis Suarez of ________ gathered some unfavorable headlines in this years Cup.
When Germany pummeled Brazil what was, the final score?
Which of the following countries advanced to the knockout stage by winning their group?
Which German player was the first to record a hat trick?
Who coached the Mexican team?
Which group did France play in?
What was the approximate attendance in this years World Cup games?
Who was the goalie for Argentina in last night's game against the Netherlands?

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I thought tonight's Topix was a week premature. Although the only games left are the championship and the third-place games, a game entitled World Cup Review should only have been played after those games were finished.

Other than that, another excellent game. The scores were higher than I had expected, but it was probably easier to research the game; my 11K did not come close to making the network scoreboard, although that was similar to my scores in the prior two weeks.

Which of the following countries advanced to the knockout stage by winning their group?

-- RWM
Also, who scored Portugal's late tying goal against the US?
What team's fans stormed the stadium in search of free entry?
Milorad Mazic gained notoriety as a ________?

We had a bit of a local advantage knowing that Manny Machado was a Baltimore Oriole, and therefore not the Mexican coach. Would probably have had top bar score if we could do attendance math on the fly.

As for the prematurity of the game, I was really hoping for a final (or even 3rd place) game spoiler. I'm sure I could have found a bookie before the weekend ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm 
Lotsa Posta

kaufman wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

We had a bit of a local advantage knowing that Manny Machado was a Baltimore Oriole, and therefore not the Mexican coach. Would probably have had top bar score if we could do attendance math on the fly.

As for the prematurity of the game, I was really hoping for a final (or even 3rd place) game spoiler. I'm sure I could have found a bookie before the weekend ...
I did not get to play, as I was working, and did not even see many of the questions listed above, but as luck would have it, I did notice two not already listed:

Whom did the U.S. team beat in its first match?
(Oh, hell, now I realize I don't remember the exact question, but it was about which city hosted a specific match. Sorry.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:45 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Akbar71 wrote:
kaufman wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

I did not get to play, as I was working, and did not even see many of the questions listed above, but as luck would have it, I did notice two not already listed:

Whom did the U.S. team beat in its first match?
(Oh, hell, now I realize I don't remember the exact question, but it was about which city hosted a specific match. Sorry.)
I think it was the Costa Rica-Netherlands quarterfinal.