June 3 - Blues Music
    June 9 - Roman Catholic Saints
    June 10 - Wedded Bliss
    June 16 - Open Bar
    June 17 - Songs about Drinks
    June 23 - Guys Named Bill
    June 24 - Men Behaving Badly
    June 30 - Venus

Looking forward to the first and last Topix among these choices. :)

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: June 2011 Topix
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
The Topix for the upcoming month are:

June 2 - Explorers
    June 3 - Blues Music
    June 10 - Wedded Bliss
    June 16 - Open Bar
    June 30 - Venus

-- RWM

Ok June 16 is gonna be about National Sports Bars while I expect to see songs by Toby Kieth, Tracy Byrd, The Champs and George Thorogood on the 17th.

Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen n Hugh Grant will be in the 24th Topix.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
zog741 wrote:

[cut]
[cut]

[cut] I expect to see songs by Toby Kieth, Tracy Byrd, The Champs and George Thorogood on the 17th.

Something tells me someone is going to be way more than a lil unhappy if there isn't a question about a certain song from their favorite artist. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Considering I will be gone from the 9th to the 19th, Im only looking forward to the 2nd and the 24th...wish I was going to be around the 16th and 17th.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:

June 2 - Explorers
    June 3 - Blues Music
    June 10 - Wedded Bliss
    June 16 - Open Bar
    June 30 - Venus

-- RWM

I like June 2 and 9. Explorers and Saints. There were saints that were also explorers.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gotta say that I've seen worse categories.

Some seem pretty open-ended, like "Guys Named Bill" & "Men Behaving Badly".

I'll definitely play the "Blues" game, barring any unforeseen obstacles.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Not a terriblee list. I suspect open bar will use all those mixed drink questions BT is fond of so may skip that Thursday game and will also play a rare voluntary Fri game foe Blues (hoping to Koresh it's about the genre not titles/bands containing the word "blue", and hoping to Koresh's sainted child brides that they at least ask some questions about original 20s-40s blues rather than 15 Bonnie Raitt aand Johnny Lang album listings).

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
Not a terriblee list. I suspect open bar will use all those mixed drink questions BT is fond of so may skip that Thursday game and will also play a rare voluntary Fri game foe Blues (hoping to Koresh it's about the genre not titles/bands containing the word "blue", and hoping to Koresh's sainted child brides that they at least ask some questions about original 20s-40s blues rather than 15 Bonnie Raitt aand Johnny Lang album listings).

Likewise on the Blues, hoping for Peetie Wheatstraw, Son House, Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi John Hurt, etc questions.

If it's not "popular" music, I might know some of it.

I guess I just not a popular kinda guy.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:26 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

There once was a Topix about Venus
Played by a man with a sizeable p--
[tremendous explosion!]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
There once was a Topix about Venus
Played by a man with a sizeable p--
[tremendous explosion!]

I should have seen that one ... coming! :mrgreen:

-- RWM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Enjoyed the Blues Music game. A tad more recent CD/song questions than I would have liked, but not too overboard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Looking at the HoF for the Blues Music game, there are two scores in the Top 5 from the same site showing that the game was a REPEAT game for them.

Did they reboot the system or something?

How does somethng like that happen?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Looking at the HoF for the Blues Music game, there are two scores in the Top 5 from the same site showing that the game was a REPEAT game for them.

Usually what happens is that a site's computer will lose its connection to Buzztime HQ and fail to download the new game for that week. When this happen it will just replay the previous week's game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Bonzo wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Usually what happens is that a site's computer will lose its connection to Buzztime HQ and fail to download the new game for that week. When this happen it will just replay the previous week's game.

Gotcha!

Thanks, I wasn't sure if this was some new phone app jive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Nice game Mitchwolf! Only Thurogood and Keith...and just like in Playback, if you were born before 1985, you really didn't need to go out and play this game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BGTUNA wrote:
Nice game Mitchwolf! Only Thurogood and Keith...and just like in Playback, if you were born before 1985, you really didn't need to go out and play this game.

Those alt rock questions like Godsmack's "Whiskey" ruined my perfect game. my 2nd handle MTCHWLF unofficially was 5th nationwide.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

Those alt rock questions like Godsmack's "Whiskey" ruined my perfect game. my 2nd handle MTCHWLF unofficially was 5th nationwide.

Well, at least the obligatory FBUFFT question was mercifully early. Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

MitchWolf wrote:
Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen n Hugh Grant will be in the 24th Topix.

Charlie Sheen was off the bat but it went to different directions. Like I didn't know that Bela Lugosi was a bad boy til in the factoid that the line "I wanna eat your blood" was in "Ed Wood", the bio of the bad boy cross dressing B-Movie director.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:29 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Enjoyed last night's Topix, but it was also a slight disappointment. In order to throw some of the better players off, they threw a couple of questions related to something other than astronomy. I consider that to be a little below the belt. On a Thursday-night Topix of "Venus", I expect the questions to be about the planet, not on a Renaissance painting of the namesake goddess. Although about 11 of the 15 questions were about the planet, but it should have been 15 questions.

None of the astronomy questions were (in my opinion) very hard, and this is why there were several perfect scores in last night's game. (I would rather have seen no more than one perfect score, otherwise I would consider Topix to have been too easy.)

To the curious who may have missed the game, here were the questions, paraphrased by my feeble memory... :mrgreen:

Venus is the solar system's ______ planet ((hottest)
    Venus completes its orbit in just under this many days (225)
    In 1991 which mission started orbiting Venus taking radar images of the entire planet? (Magellan)
    Venera 3 became the first spacecraft to land on another planet on March 1 of which year? (1966)
    Venus de Milo is sculpture that is famous for her missing (arms)
    Of all planetary orbits, Venus is the (least eccentric).
    Venus' atmosphere is 96 percent (carbon dioxide).
    Venus has an almost identical diameter to which other planet? (Earth)
    "The Worship of Venus" was completed around 1520 by this painter. (Titian)
    The symbol for Venus is identical to the symbol for (female)
    Venus is the Roman goddess of love and beauty. Who is the Greek equivalent? (Aphrodite)
    The two "continents" of Venus are Aphrodite Terra and ______ Terra? (Ishtar)
    Which feature does the planet Venus lack? [clouds, magnetic field, volcanoes, impact craters, atmosphere] (magnetic field)
    Maxwell Montes, the highest mountain on Venus, is named for this scientist (James Maxwell)

That is 14 of the 15 questions, and I might not have named the correct Renaissance painting; the artist in question painted four works with "Venus" as part of the title.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:32 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Very much agree. That renaissance art is for me stronger than astronomy does not enter into it. This pollutiion of Thursday Topix can bite anyone - it got me on the song question in the Great Lakes game for instance. It's a bad habit that the editors manage to avoid in the Friday game. No Friday Topix on Wham would have 13 questions on george Michael and .....the other guy, then 2 on Roy Lichtenstein works.

The Titian work is "Venus of Urbino" BTW. One of my favorite painters. Not his brst work, but well executed.

Oh and yes the astronomy questions were mostly none too threatening. I expected a bit more on the unique features like tesserae and the canals. Magnetic field was a bit of a toughie perhaps, as iron-cored terrestrial planets generally have them. Admit I guessed on the Venera 3 date too - recalling details of specific spaceflights has never been a strong point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

First of all, great game, Rhino. :)

The one question where I did not get 1000 points was the one regarding the Titian painting. As for the astronomy questions, there was no guessing at all. The Venera 3 question would have made me sweat if 1965 were also a choice, but as it was, the choices were too far apart to present a challenge.

I think a great question would have been "Which surface feature is not on Venus?" And I think that many people would be thrown if Sedna Planitia was one of the choices.

Still trying to recall that one other question.

-- RWM

(When is BT going to fix the problem with the garbled network scores?)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, as almost always seems to be the case, there is more than a lil puerile whining over NTN Buzztime's inclusion of questions that players mistakenly assumed were not going to be included. Since this has happened more than a few times before, I find it way more than a lil amazing that some of my fellow players continue to piss and moan over this. Image

Unless the Topix specifically said "Venus, The Planet", I see lil if any reason to assume that all the questions will be on same. Furthermore, I'm way more than a lil surprised that there wasn't at least one question on the hit songs of the same title. Image

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:00 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Sure yeah yeah yeah but since when did Friday Topix called "Law and Order" ask questions on 16th Century British jurists? Seems like "letter rather than spirit" pontificating only applies to non pop-culture games..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:28 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, as almost always seems to be the case, there is more than a lil puerile whining over NTN Buzztime's inclusion of questions that players mistakenly assumed were not going to be included. Since this has happened more than a few times before, I find it way more than a lil amazing that some of my fellow players continue to piss and moan over this. Image

Unless the Topix specifically said "Venus, The Planet", I see lil if any reason to assume that all the questions will be on same. Furthermore, I'm way more than a lil surprised that there wasn't at least one question on the hit songs of the same title. Image

I generally haven't complained about BT games, unless there has been factual errors. But moving from magnetic fields to Renaissance paintings to the symbol of femininity are rather drastic shifts for a game where one is to "get down to specifics..."

If in a few months the Topix is "Saturn", I fully expect that the questions would be about the planet or its satellites, with maybe one about the god it is named for. I certainly will complain if I blow a question related to a car.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:

Furthermore, I'm way more than a lil surprised that there wasn't at least one question on the hit songs of the same title. Image

That was shocking! :P