New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hitchcock
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 pm 
Centenarian

So much for using Wikipedia for a source. First question of game was "Which movie was Hitchcock's first as a director?" According to Wikipedia it was Number 13. Answer was Pleasure Garden which is probably more correct, but why even put Number 13 as a choice since you could argue it was first (albeit unfinished) since it was 1922 versus Pleasure Garden which is 1925.

The game wasn't really bad, but I don't think the writer asked enough about actual scenes within the movies. I think only one or two questions out of 15 covered that (crop duster in North by Northwest, and Royal Albert Hall in The Man Who Knew Too Much)...

Post subject: Re: Hitchcock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

That is dirty pool.
Completed or not, Number 13 was most certainly Hitch's directorial debut. I still would have probably gone with The Pleasure Garden (had this question/answer on more than one occasion), but I promise you the guys would have had to put up with a boatload of kvetching all the way down the line.
Any questions about where Hitch cameoed in his films?
They could easily knock out a premium game length quiz on that.
Of course, the villagers would grab the pitchforks and torches if they ever did that... :mrgreen:
I would have liked to have played that game tonight. I've played both NTN and live trivia with a buddy that used to play under HITCH. He's been grilling me on this crap for two almost decades. It would have been nice to put some of it to use.
Do you remember any of the other 12 questions, or were they also fairly easy?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm 
Centenarian

spotes wrote:
That is dirty pool.
Completed or not, Number 13 was most certainly Hitch's directorial debut. I still would have probably gone with The Pleasure Garden (had this question/answer on more than one occasion), but I promise you the guys would have had to put up with a boatload of kvetching all the way down the line.
Any questions about where Hitch cameoed in his films?
They could easily knock out a premium game length quiz on that.
Of course, the villagers would grab the pitchforks and torches if they ever did that... :mrgreen:
I would have liked to have played that game tonight. I've played both NTN and live trivia with a buddy that used to play under HITCH. He's been grilling me on this crap for two almost decades. It would have been nice to put some of it to use.
Do you remember any of the other 12 questions, or were they also fairly easy?

Thanks for asking, yes you should have played that, you would probably have aced it. Some of the questions were repeat countdown questions, here are 13 (maybe 14) that I remember:

1) What was first movie he directed? (start out with 212 points)
2) What actress was slashed in the shower in Psycho? (Janet Leigh)
3) How is Cary Grant attacked in North by Northwest? (crop duster, not tank or F-16)
4) Which movie did not involve a murder? (Wrong Man, would have been good question but there is a similar countdown question in database)
5) What actress starred in remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much? Doris Day
6) What notorious character was "The Lodger" based on? Jack the Ripper
7) Hitchcock movie titled, The Trouble with (Blank). (hint: your name)
8) What movie featured an out of control merry go round? ( Strangers on a Train) I think that is a repeat in Countdown
9) Which Hitchcock movie won Best Picture? (Rebecca) One of most asked questions in Countdown
10) What was Hitchcock's first movie based in Hollywood? (Rebecca) Paul, (alias Nick the Crow NCROW), our best movie expert screams answer and we go against him anyways, we deserve to lose.
11) Lifeboat is a movie based on a book from? (John Steinbeck)
12) What movie is based on a book from Daphne Du Maurier? (The Birds)
13) Which landmark was part of the movie, The Man Who Knew Too Much? (Royal Albert Hall)
14) I think there was a question on which movie Julie Andrews was in but not sure. (Torn Curtain)

As you can see, not really much meat on actual scenes/twists/plots of the movies themselves..Now that I think about it, the topix was Hitchcock Faves, the first question doesn't even apply to the topix. Now I'm mad :) 16 people saw the Pleasure Garden.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

focus wrote:

Thanks for asking, yes you should have played that, you would probably have aced it. Some of the questions were repeat countdown questions, here are 13 (maybe 14) that I remember:

3) How is Cary Grant attacked in North by Northwest? (crop duster, not tank or F-16)
4) Which movie did not involve a murder? (Wrong Man, would have been good question but there is a similar countdown question in database)
8) What movie featured an out of control merry go round? ( Strangers on a Train) I think that is a repeat in Countdown
9) Which Hitchcock movie won Best Picture? (Rebecca) One of most asked questions in Countdown
10) What was Hitchcock's first movie based in Hollywood? (Rebecca) Paul, (alias Nick the Crow NCROW), our best movie expert screams answer and we go against him anyways, we deserve to lose.
13) Which landmark was part of the movie, The Man Who Knew Too Much? (Royal Albert Hall)
14) I think there was a question on which movie Julie Andrews was in but not sure. (Torn Curtain)

As you can see, not really much meat on actual scenes/twists/plots of the movies themselves..Now that I think about it, the topix was Hitchcock Faves, the first question doesn't even apply to the topix. Now I'm mad :) 16 people saw the Pleasure Garden.

Yowza! That's some mighty fine recapping.
While I appreciate the nod, I'm sure I could have buggered it up somewhere. Number 7 looks imposing... :mrgreen:
I wonder why they didn't have Rebecca as the answer to #12 so they could score the trifecta.
I've always considered 15 question topic games with the same answer more than once as being somewhat lazily written; particularly with the wealth of options available on a topic such as this.
Maybe I'm just being too hard on the kids. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
focus wrote:

Yowza! That's some mighty fine recapping.
While I appreciate the nod, I'm sure I could have buggered it up somewhere. Number 7 looks imposing... :mrgreen:
I wonder why they didn't have Rebecca as the answer to #12 so they could score the trifecta.
I've always considered 15 question topic games with the same answer more than once as being somewhat lazily written; particularly with the wealth of options available on a topic such as this.
Maybe I'm just being too hard on the kids. :(

Sorry I missed this game. I had been looking forward to it. Hopefully make it to Spiders and F-ing Snakes (I hate snakes so much that I know about the bat rastards!)

FWIW--Harry,when they had the Beat Writers topix, they used Allen Ginsburg three times as an answer. Not that there are that many Beat writers, but I don't think that they mentioned Corso or Neal Cassidy or any of the others. Maybe a City Lights/Ferlinghetti question.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am 
Moderating Hobbit

Same thing here. I was really looking forward to this game.

On the positive side, I was having a nice dinner down in beautiful Austin, TX while it was on, so it wasn't a complete loss :)