February 2 - NFL Players
    February 4 - Rock Docs
    February 9 - Chocolate and Cookies
    February 11 - Jennifer Aniston
    February 16 - Greek and Roman Gods
    February 18 - Love Lyrics
    February 23 - George Washington
    February 25 - Animal Movies

Of the games listed, I'll likely play 2/16 and 2/23.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: February 2012 Topix
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

So Topix is staying on Sat. night after the Season is over??

What a bunch of crap as is the split feeds for east vs west.

2008 all over again. :(

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:

I'm staying out of this - for now. Although I have some of the same concerns as others posted on this forum, I'll wait to see what actually happens.

As for the Topix themselves, I really couldn't care less whether the entertainment-based Topix are Friday or Saturday night as I generally don't play those anyway. And next month will be no exception. As for the Thursday games, there are two that I find worth playing, although the hard-core football fans will be looking forward to 2/02.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 pm 
Centenarian

To me another crappy month of Topix, and it sucks that it is staying on Sat. night, the night I most infrequently play. But I would be interested in George Washington, and NFL Players may not be bad. Greek and Roman Gods would be OK if we can get one of tour teammates to come, but he has found love and doesn't show up as much anymore. The rest kinda suck! Animal movies a maybe as I have seen many when my kids were gowing up:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I'm staying out of this - for now. Although I have some of the same concerns as others posted on this forum, I'll wait to see what actually happens.

By staying out of it, you are approving the change. Once the change happens BT won't reverse it and nobody on the East/Central timezones can ever get a 'national' victory unless you go perfect. I will see to that..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
zog741 wrote:

By staying out of it, you are approving the change. Once the change happens BT won't reverse it and nobody on the East/Central timezones can ever get a 'national' victory unless you go perfect. I will see to that..

You, sir, are off-topic. When I do choose to comment on the East-West split, I'll do it on the appropriate thread. This thread is about next month's Topix.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

NFL Players was fun. We had 2 perfects and 6 near perfects as nobody listened to me on the last question after pre-calling most answers...idiots. Felt it was very easy with it all being current players. What question threw people off?

Here are the ones I remember in no particular order.
1) Who is known as Mighty Mouse?
2) Name the only player with 4 Super Bowl rings.
3) Name the quarterback mismatched with his number
4) name the player who was a College Basketball star.
5) What is the last name of the only 3 brothers in the NFL.
6) John Kasay was the ___________ player in the NFL.
7) Andy Lee of the _______ was the top Punter.
8) Who is one of the premier pass rushers?
9) Which of these players was a 1st round pick?
10) Darrell Revis is one of the top_______ in NFL.
11) Brian Orakpo is in a commercial with this advertising icon.
12) who now holds the record for Passing Yards in a season?
13) Randall Cobb made big plays for what team?
14) who is the cover boy for Madden 2012?
15) Who of these has a sister that is a star soccer player in Cameroon.

Last edited by tchoiniere on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
NFL Players was fun. Felt it was very easy with it all being current players. What question threw people off?

All of them.

Good game, Tim. Your bar was #2, on the network, and I suspect you were the major reason why.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
NFL Players was fun. Felt it was very easy with it all being current players. What question threw people off?

I was told BT said Philip Rivers wears #14 (I didn't play I am in protest until I want to drink, and done after Feb28th).. Tim Tebow is a Patriot and Rivers wears 14, next Magic Johnson starred for the Celtics..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

lewser wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

I was told BT said Philip Rivers wears #14 (I didn't play I am in protest until I want to drink, and done after Feb28th).. Tim Tebow is a Patriot and Rivers wears 14, next Magic Johnson starred for the Celtics..

All of us picked out Rodgers right away...

Dave (Beavis / Butthead) was one of the idiots that blew perfect scores by not listening to me on the final question. He wasn't too happy about it either...Slap him next week for me.

Last edited by tchoiniere on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
lewser wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

All of us picked out Rodgers right away...

That's great but it doesn't change the fact there were two correct answers to the question. At our bar Rivers was listed before Rodgers so we hit Rivers first.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

All of them.

Good game, Tim. Your bar was #2, on the network, and I suspect you were the major reason why.

-- RWM

Thanks. If anybody had listened to me on #15, we would have been #1. Al outthought himself then Tom and Dave went with him. I called Suh right away but then they said that he isn't from Africa, let alone Cameroon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Bonzo wrote:
That's great but it doesn't change the fact there were two correct answers to the question. At our bar Rivers was listed before Rodgers so we hit Rivers first.

I agree with you. I am glad I didn't realize that Rivers was a correct answer as wll. Awful QC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
Thanks. If anybody had listened to me on #15, we would have been #1. Al outthought himself then Tom and Dave went with him. I called Suh right away but then they said that he isn't from Africa, let alone Cameroon.

I figured that had to be one of two choices (#3 and #5 had African-sounding names.) I guessed right, and therefore had a score that Al would have been happy with (if this were Sci-Files.) ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:25 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

BUD wrote:

It goes back to Friday at 7:30p est/mst and 6:30p cst/pst om March 2nd

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:47 am 
New Driver

The only question that got me was the Rivers one; as I said Damn you Buzztime and picked the "wrong" correct answer. I'm so glad that they have editors, otherwise...

L PATO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I thought last night's Topix (Greek and Roman Gods) was tough, and I definitely didn't have one of my best games. Congratulations to those who did well.

I suspect a larger turnout next week for George Washington.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I thought last night's Topix (Greek and Roman Gods) was tough, and I definitely didn't have one of my best games. Congratulations to those who did well.

I suspect a larger turnout next week for George Washington.

-- RWM

I also expect a larger turn out next week as it will be the next to last TOPIX game that won't be a repeat for the Mountain and Pacific timezones. You of course are giving the changes a chance, since you won't be stuck with repeats, correct? :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
I also expect a larger turn out next week as it will be the next to last TOPIX game that won't be a repeat for the Mountain and Pacific timezones. You of course are giving the changes a chance, since you won't be stuck with repeats, correct? :P

If I'm not mistaken, next week will be the last week without feeds. And I think that the split schedule is a bad idea, in part because much of it is not necessary. Topix should be scheduled for 5:30pm PT and not split. That would leave it as it is now.

I would prefer not to discuss Buzztime's Folly on this thread though.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, next week will be the last week without feeds. And I think that the split schedule is a bad idea, in part because much of it is not necessary. Topix should be scheduled for 5:30pm PT and not split. That would leave it as it is now.

You would be correct..

zog741 wrote:
I would prefer not to discuss Buzztime's Folly on this thread though.

-- RWM

I will try.. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Tonight's game was comical. By my count, at least half of the questions were from 2008 or later. It was probably even closer to two thirds of the questions that were 2008 or later, but I lost count). I know the weekend Topix games as of late have been greatly skewing in the direction of the "target demographic." Buzztime's belief, after all, is "these are the questions that our players want!"

When not one single bar can score over 11800 for a Topix game, I think it's safe to conclude, buzztime, that these are NOT the type of questions that your players want. It took away from what could've / should've been a fun Topix game and relegated it to, as one player who texted me after the game labeled it, "a complete waste of time."

But that wasn't even the comical part.

The comical part was one question in the game asked which C&W group had a hit single with "Love's Lookin' Good On You."

I knew it because I have the album and I've seen them perform it in concert several times, but that song was NEVER RELEASED AS A SINGLE.

the only thing I can think of is perhaps the writer meant to write "Lookin' For A Good Time" and someone proof read it and changed it to the other Lookin' song on the album. That's giving them a huge benefit of the doubt, though.

But if they intentionally wrote "hit song" with "Love's Lookin' Good On You" in mind...then that's just a really bad question.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Tonight's game was comical. By my count, at least half of the questions were from 2008 or later. It was probably even closer to two thirds of the questions that were 2008 or later, but I lost count). I know the weekend Topix games as of late have been greatly skewing in the direction of the "target demographic." Buzztime's belief, after all, is "these are the questions that our players want!"

When not one single bar can score over 11800 for a Topix game, I think it's safe to conclude, buzztime, that these are NOT the type of questions that your players want. It took away from what could've / should've been a fun Topix game and relegated it to, as one player who texted me after the game labeled it, "a complete waste of time."

But that wasn't even the comical part.

The comical part was one question in the game asked which C&W group had a hit single with "Love's Lookin' Good On You."

I knew it because I have the album and I've seen them perform it in concert several times, but that song was NEVER RELEASED AS A SINGLE.

the only thing I can think of is perhaps the writer meant to write "Lookin' For A Good Time" and someone proof read it and changed it to the other Lookin' song on the album. That's giving them a huge benefit of the doubt, though.

But if they intentionally wrote "hit song" with "Love's Lookin' Good On You" in mind...then that's just a really bad question.

Glad that category wasn't chosen as a Playback Headliner.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:59 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:

This seems to be similar to the "NFL Players" Topix from earlier this month. Wouldn't it have been more accurate to have entitled that game "2011 NFL Players"? And perhaps this game (which I didn't play) should have been called "Current Love Lyrics" or something similar?

I take it that there were no questions regarding Love Stinks. :mrgreen:

poman wrote:

Not a waste of time for the bar who had the 11,800 average! Congratulations to them, whomever they are.

A challenging game, where no bar can average 12K or no individual can reach 14K can certainly be fun, but it depends on what the questions are and if the game is at least interesting.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Not a waste of time for the bar who had the 11,800 average! Congratulations to them, whomever they are.

A challenging game, where no bar can average 12K or no individual can reach 14K can certainly be fun, but it depends on what the questions are and if the game is at least interesting.

-- RWM

They were the WV crew, with TIEFLY and ZEBRA and especially TOLLE, there was no way they would lose a "Love Lyrics" game...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:36 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

clark wrote:
They were the WV crew, with TIEFLY and ZEBRA and especially TOLLE, there was no way they would lose a "Love Lyrics" game...

EGADS! :mrgreen: