New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'm getting mightily sick of these 6.67% Topix games
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

The last 4 Topix I have played, including tonight's, have been the equivalent of asking a college applied math class 14 questions on the basic 12 multiplication tables and one along the lines of
"which number is the 129th decimal of pi in Dase's 1844 sequence?".

It's great for getting high averages, but for really sorting out knowledge, or for having fun, it's utterly useless and incredibly tedious. Why not just let everyone guess wildly at the one discriminating question and be done with it?

Post subject: Re: I'm getting mightily sick of these 6.67% Topix games
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Which question got you? My scores just missed making the network scoreboard, although Adams Mill finished 8th as a bar. The question we missed had "rudder" as an answer; otherwise we were nearly perfect.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
Which question got you? My scores just missed making the network scoreboard, although Adams Mill finished 8th as a bar. The question we missed had "rudder" as an answer; otherwise we were nearly perfect.

-- RWM

We got most of that one - around 750 or so. Its the Dick Williams question that sank us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
We got most of that one - around 750 or so. Its the Dick Williams question that sank us.

Al saved us on that question; we got that for around 900.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 am 
King or Queen Postalot

Dick Williams sunk a perfect game for me. Figures :x

I like Topix games when they give you the softballs in the first round, and steadily ramp up the difficulty without relying on the arcane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Williams here obviously - 14 questions on well-known ship basics and one on what an obscure passenger with a top 50 commonest name in the English speaking world did later? A fine question for fans of vintage tennis no doubt - but about the Titanic? Terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I'm again convicted that unless I'd read Wikipedia I would have known none of the questions. We tiredly answer propeller instead of rudder and are looking for baseball manager as an answer to the Dick Williams question. We feel fortunate to rank #14 at Hooter's of Tallahassee. Are there bonus points for knowing all the survivors are now dead?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

I walked in on the last question or two and precalled tennis for Dick Williams.

Because I had read the article about him and the Titanic in the April 2nd Sports Illustrated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

April 02, 2012
Unsinkable
A CENTURY AGO, MORE THAN 1,500 PEOPLE DIED IN THE MOST FAMOUS SHIPWRECK IN HISTORY. TWO OF THE WORLD'S BEST TENNIS PLAYERS, RICHARD WILLIAMS AND KARL BEHR, SURVIVED THE DISASTER—IN VERY DIFFERENT WAYS
L. JON WERTHEIM

The grass courts were green, the collars were white and, at least to the casual observer, the fourth-round match at the Longwood Bowl in Boston on July 18, 1912, was typical of that year's U.S. lawn tennis circuit. Richard Williams, a 21-year-old upstart from Philadelphia, faced Karl Behr, 27, a veteran from New York City. Though a "tennis generation" apart in age, the two men cut similar figures: handsome Ivy Leaguers of East Coast patrician stock. (Behr was a Yale man; Williams would enter Harvard that fall.) Both were at home at the tournament's venue, the Longwood Cricket Club, whose wealthy members often arrived in high style, piloting a new mode of transit: the automobile.

This was top-level tennis 100 summers ago: men in starched polo shirts, long pants, leather shoes and stoic expressions, using wooden rackets strung with beef or sheep gut to bat the ball around for hours in the afternoon sun. They might reconvene afterward in the clubhouse for a brandy, perhaps stopping first to call back to the office. In the era before prize money, many of the male players moonlighted as lawyers or bankers.

From the clubhouse the winners would repair to their rooms to prepare for the next day's matches; the losers would throw on seersucker suits and head for Newport (R.I.) or Merion (Pa.) or Chevy Chase (Md.), whichever moneyed enclave was hosting the next tournament. But in 1912 some of the losers at Longwood might have stayed on for a day to check out a baseball game nearby at newly opened Fenway Park.

The Williams-Behr match was full of precise shotmaking, savvy tactics and gyrating momentum. The lanky, dark-haired Williams brought his aggression and superior athleticism to bear and won the first two sets. Then the sturdier Behr, who wore wire-rimmed glasses and held back his sandy hair with a not-yet-voguish headband, surged and gradually wore down Williams's resistance. Over five gripping sets the veteran beat the newcomer 0--6, 7--9, 6--2, 6--1, 6--4.

It was a classic match by any measure, two future Hall of Famers exploring the limits of their talent. Fans ringing the court applauded lustily, and the other players toasted the two men as they walked off at the end. The following day's New York Times gushed that the match "was declared by old-timers to be one of the hardest fought tennis battles seen during the 22 years of tournaments at Longwood."

Something gave the encounter a deeper texture, however. Few press reports mentioned it, and those that did hardly played it up. Certainly neither Williams nor Behr discussed it openly. Nor did the fans at Longwood seem to be aware of it. But just 12 weeks earlier—and 100 years ago next month—the two players, traveling separately, had survived the most famous maritime disaster in history.

On April 12, 1912, to great fanfare, the RMS Titanic began its maiden voyage. The world's largest and most expensive ship—in fact, at that time, the world's largest man-made object—pushed off of a pier in Southampton, England, stopped briefly at Cherbourg, France, and Queenstown, Ireland, and then headed west into the open Atlantic, destination New York City. More than half of the 1,317 passengers were consigned to steerage class, but above decks were some of the richest and most distinguished people on the planet. The manifest included millionaire investor and real estate tycoon John Jacob Astor IV and his pregnant 18-year-old wife, Madeleine; mining titan Benjamin Guggenheim; Macy's department store owner Isidor Straus and his wife, Ida; and Philadelphia streetcar magnate George Widener, who had traveled to Europe with his wife, Eleanor, and son Harry to purchase rare books and find a chef for the family's new hotel, the Ritz-Carlton.

The Wideners weren't the only prominent Philadelphians aboard. Charles Duane Williams, a great-great-great-grandson of Benjamin Franklin, had been a Main Line lawyer before he became ill and moved to Geneva, Switzerland, where he had easy access to spas and mineral baths. His son, Richard Norris Williams II, known as Dick, prefigured a future Swiss star, Roger Federer: He was a stylish and versatile tennis player who was always on the offensive and made the most difficult shots look effortless. He had carved up the Swiss junior circuit and become a European junior champion. He and his father had booked first-class passage to the U.S. so Dick could practice and play in summer tournaments Stateside before heading to college.

On April 10, Charles and Dick Williams disembarked at the wrong Paris train station and nearly missed their connection to Cherbourg. They boarded the Titanic with only moments to spare. On the train Dick had done a double take when he saw Karl Behr, a well-connected lawyer and businessman, confidant of Teddy Roosevelt and member of the U.S. Davis Cup team. Behr, who had been ranked among the top 10 U.S. players four times, had reached the Wimbledon doubles final in 1907. He was, however, in Europe for reasons having nothing to do with tennis.

Ostensibly Behr had traveled abroad on business, but he was also there pursuing a romance with Helen Newsom, a friend of his younger sister, Gertrude. Helen, 19, had left her home in suburban New York to tour Europe with her mother and stepfather, Sallie and Richard Beckwith. Behr joined them on the cruise over, slipping away with Newsom to tour the sights when the ship docked in Madeira, Morocco and the South of France. They then parted ways, agreeing to reconnect when they were back in New York.

<article is continued on the SI site>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

scar wrote:
I walked in on the last question or two and precalled tennis for Dick Williams.

Because I had read the article about him and the Titanic in the April 2nd Sports Illustrated.

And saw him play in person? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:08 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Some people suggesting this was a challenging game should note 88 players scored over 14000. Nobody averaged close to that in the national Topix, and IIRC 88th place was below 12k. Not much above if at all. Clearly it was far easier to near-ace than the norm, as would reflect a game with 14 easy questions for those interested in the specific topic (which is the idea of the game)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
The last 4 Topix I have played, including tonight's, have been the equivalent of asking a college applied math class 14 questions on the basic 12 multiplication tables and one along the lines of

It's great for getting high averages, but for really sorting out knowledge, or for having fun, it's utterly useless and incredibly tedious. Why not just let everyone guess wildly at the one discriminating question and be done with it?

I don't know about your previous three Topix games, but any game about a specific event usually gets crushed nationally.
For reasons known only to themselves, many folks like to study up on these types of games.
If you ever see me studying up for a Topix game, please feel free to shoot me in the head with the caliber of your choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
spotes wrote:
Rhino wrote:

I don't know about your previous three Topix games, but any game about a specific event usually gets crushed nationally.
For reasons known only to themselves, many folks like to study up on these types of games.
If you ever see me studying up for a Topix game, please feel free to shoot me in the head with the caliber of your choice.

How aboot if I just wing you in the shoulder? I'm comfortable with a .22 if you are. I don't feel the need to do any undue damage. :shock: 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:10 am 
New Driver

THE ICEMAN wrote:
spotes wrote:
Rhino wrote:

How aboot if I just wing you in the shoulder? I'm comfortable with a .22 if you are. I don't feel the need to do any undue damage. :shock: 8-)

If you could do this before Monday; I may open a new bottle of Pappy's Van Winkle's....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:35 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Rhino wrote:

Aw heck I have no problem stating I read up on Thursday afternoons before heading out - but then I only play games on subjects that interest me, and therefore which you can be pretty sure I've read heavily about before. Not sure whether it matters that the last time I read about where Lightoller was born was a few years back or two hours ago other than that yep absolutely I'm more likely to recall it immediately in the latter case.

If my complaints were considered though, such pre-game revision would only be of that much help - to refresh memories of those who already knew about it. Now with the fact that 14 of the questions could be answered by someone who had ONLY done that twenty or thirty minutes' scan, and the 15th required a knowledge not of the subject but of early 20th C sports, the studiers and the already-studied are on far too level a playing field to fulfill the intent of the game IMO.

Now the idea of starting to study something just for Topix is a bit strange to me personally (just think how easy Friday's would have been for that - a sub-40 celebrity!) but I don't see anything wrong with that at all - quite the opposite. Any encouragement to increase knowledge is to the good, and any effort to do so is worthwhile for its own sake.

I'm not going to worry one bit about a game with some who have only read about subject X for an afternoon compared to someone else's having done so over the years. I just think a quiz on the subject should be able to demonstrate the difference.

Last edited by Rhino on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 am 
Centenarian

tchoiniere wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

The rudder question was a ball buster, because boiler was good choice with no time to think about, and then of course I was watching a Titanic special on Nat geo or H2 the day after, and gave the rudder measurements. :cry: Then of course my meltdown losing points on final depth question :?