July 6 - Superpowers
July 13 - Animals
July 20 - Superheroines
July 27 - This Year In Film

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: July Trendalicious Trivia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

I must admit I'm waiting to see what's so super about the second and fourth installments of the set ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 pm 
Centenarian

kaufman wrote:
I must admit I'm waiting to see what's so super about the second and fourth installments of the set ...

Animals could be about certain animals that have developed amazing skills that appear to be "super" when compared to other creatures.
Like the gecko, that on every square millimeter of its footpads contains 14,000 tiny hairs, called setae, each of which branches into around 500 little tiny spatulae so small that they are below the wavelength of visible light.
Bombardier Beetle can create chemical reactions to release a boiling, exploding liquid from its body up to seventy times per encounter.
Octopi the most intelligent invertebrate in the world, can detach their arms, spray ink, move in perfect cadence with underwater currents, squeeze through any space larger than a quarter, and change color to blend in with their surroundings.

In the comics there are a lot of superpowered animals. Most were popular during the "Golden" and "Silver Age" of comics. There was the Legion of Super-Pets that had, Comet the Super-Horse, Streaky the SuperCat, Krypto the Super-dog and Beppo the Super-Monkey. There is also Ace the Bathound that was created after the popularity of Krypto. There is a whole Marvel Universe populated be animal versions of their famous superheros such as Spider-Ham, Hulk-Bunny, Thrr Dog of Thunder, Squawkeye, Captain Americat & Iron Mouse. Then when you get into places like Disney, animated Saturday programs, video games, movies & comics printed from smaller companies the waters get even mudder. Mighty Mouse, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rin Tin Tin, American Rabbit, GizmoDuck and Darkwing Duck from Disney's Ducktales, Atom Ant, Dynomutt, Earthworm Jim and Hong Kong Phooey. The list just goes on and on of animals that have super powers or act as superheros. I didn't even list any villians for these characters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm 
Himself Fodder

googie wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey

Hong Kong Phooey, really one super guy.
Hong Kong Phooey, faster than the human eye.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:50 pm 
Centenarian

-BO- wrote:
googie wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey

Are you a fan or just poking a little fun? Because I was a fan and still watch the occasional episode and have the theme song as a ringtone on my phone. Its actually a little crazy because supposedly a Hong Kong Phooey live action movie is in the works.
From IMDb:
A live-action feature based on Hanna-Barbera's animated series about kung-fu-fighting pup and his feline sidekick. Reportedly shooting in 2012 for a 2013 or 2014 release. Eddie Murphy to voice Hong Kong Phooey and Hugh Jackman to voice Spot his feline sidekick.

Sounds like a Yogi Bear or Scooby Doo CGI type of movie. I personally can't wait till we see Snagglepuss in all his pink lion glory voiced by Neil Patrick Harris! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 pm 
Himself Fodder

googie wrote:
-BO- wrote:
googie wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey

Are you a fan or just poking a little fun?

Henry the Janitor always started my Saturday morning cartoonfest at 7am. During the glory days of napster I downloaded nearly every cartoon theme that I used to watch including Hong Kong Phooey.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm 
Centenarian

I had no idea Bo that you and me had something like that in common. My hey day of Saturday morning cartoons was 1989 thru the 90s although I still watch cartoons from time to time. But I watched all the Hanna-Barbera cartoons when they were rerun when Cartoon Network was started and all they had was those cartoons and the Looney Tunes shorts. My favorite was always Scooby Doo but I watched all of the old cartoons from 60s and 70s.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 pm 
Centenarian

googie wrote:
In the comics there are a lot of superpowered animals. Most were popular during the "Golden" and "Silver Age" of comics. There was the Legion of Super-Pets that had, Comet the Super-Horse, Streaky the SuperCat, Krypto the Super-dog and Beppo the Super-Monkey. There is also Ace the Bathound that was created after the popularity of Krypto. There is a whole Marvel Universe populated be animal versions of their famous superheros such as Spider-Ham, Hulk-Bunny, Thrr Dog of Thunder, Squawkeye, Captain Americat & Iron Mouse. Then when you get into places like Disney, animated Saturday programs, video games, movies & comics printed from smaller companies the waters get even mudder. Mighty Mouse, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rin Tin Tin, American Rabbit, GizmoDuck and Darkwing Duck from Disney's Ducktales, Atom Ant, Dynomutt, Earthworm Jim and Hong Kong Phooey. The list just goes on and on of animals that have super powers or act as superheros. I didn't even list any villians for these characters.

Well I precalled Hong Kong Phooey, Mighty Mouse, Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles, Dynomutt and Darkwing Duck.
Forgot all about Perry the Platypus, Secret squirrel, Underdog, El Kabong and Rocky Squirrel. But to have 3 questions in the game about Rocky & Bullwinkle? Considering they could have asked much tougher and better questions. I missed one question, the Underdog archvillian question. Underdog was a show I never watched. I did watch Rocky and Bullwinkle though and knew those three about Frostbite Falls, the middle initial and who played the Leader in the live action movie. I have to say I really enjoyed this game I finished 14th with a 14,376. Congrats to those who had a perfect on this fun game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm 
Himself Fodder

googie wrote:
I missed one question, the Underdog archvillian question. Underdog was a show I never watched.

Underdog only had two archvillians, Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff. And Sweet Polly Purebread was one hot bitch!

And yes, I have the theme music to that as well. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:47 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
googie wrote:
I missed one question, the Underdog archvillian question. Underdog was a show I never watched.

Underdog only had two archvillians, Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff. And Sweet Polly Purebread was one hot bitch!

And yes, I have the theme music to that as well. :oops:

But do you have both sets of intro lyrics?
I have them both memorized if you need someone to record them to complete your collection. :mrgreen: