Aug 22 - Asian Foods
Aug 29 - Pro Golfers
August Friday Topix Themes:
Aug 2 - Reality TV
Aug 9 - Country Music
Aug 16 - Fantasy Films
Aug 23 - 1980s TV
Aug 30 - Ethan Hawke

The 15th is one I think I have to play. It's been a couple months since I saw a Topix game I have actually wanted to play.

Post subject: Re: August Topix
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

80s tv for me. The rest is crap...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Most of the Thursday games have promise. I won't be an expert on these, but I'm still curious what they'll ask. I am not a golf enthusiast, so that will be an off week.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

googie wrote:
August Thursday Topix Themes:
Aug 1 - On Safari
Aug 8 - Can You Translate?
Aug 15 - Mythical Creatures
Aug 22 - Asian Foods
Aug 29 - Pro Golfers
Aug 2 - Reality TV
Aug 9 - Country Music
Aug 16 - Fantasy Films
Aug 23 - 1980s TV
Aug 30 - Ethan Hawke

The 15th is one I think I have to play. It's been a couple months since I saw a Topix game I have actually wanted to play.

Um, better check to see if there have been any mythical creatures created in 2013. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Centenarian

liljol wrote:
googie wrote:
August Thursday Topix Themes:
Aug 1 - On Safari
Aug 8 - Can You Translate?
Aug 15 - Mythical Creatures
Aug 22 - Asian Foods
Aug 29 - Pro Golfers
Aug 2 - Reality TV
Aug 9 - Country Music
Aug 16 - Fantasy Films
Aug 23 - 1980s TV
Aug 30 - Ethan Hawke

Um, better check to see if there have been any mythical creatures created in 2013. Image

I guess it will depend on what Buzztime considers "mythical" liljol. If they go with the classics of ancient myth I think we're safe. If they consider "mythical" as creatures from movies, tv, or books, trading card games, or video games we all might be up the smelly creek with no paddle :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:19 am 
Himself Fodder

I see myself at Stadium with 5 boxes and a do not disturb sign on the table for the Pro Golfers game. Wonder if I'll be an answer?

Sadly I can also probably do some damage in 80's TV.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:

After getting further clarification from buzztime, here is the updated schedule :twisted:

Aug 2 - 2013 Reality TV
Aug 9 - 2013 Country Music
Aug 16 - 2013 Fantasy Films
Aug 23 - 1980s TV Remakes (2013)
Aug 30 - Ethan Hawke 2013 News

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Last nights Topix game was the biggest piece of shit game I have ever played. I should have stopped playing like the rest of the team. Whoever green lit that fucking garbage should be junk punched!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:21 am 
U > 100 * 2

lewser wrote:
Last nights Topix game was the biggest piece of shit game I have ever played. I should have stopped playing like the rest of the team. Whoever green lit that fucking garbage should be junk punched!!!

They should all get a one-way ticket to GITMO. :twisted: It was so bad I started playing Sport Trivia blind. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:04 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

lewser wrote:

Was it all 2013? Like that garbage Sci Fi Movies thing last week?

I am glad that I just stuck to Ships and Boats this week...1st in the East and 2nd overall was definitely enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:37 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
lewser wrote:

Was it all 2013? Like that garbage Sci Fi Movies thing last week?

Yep. Image Image

Wonder of wonders, this lil old out of touch, grumpy bastard managed to recognize one of them Image, if only because it's been played almost ad nauseam at every other site here in The Site-Poor Backyard ("Get Lucky", Daft Punk).

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

If buzztime looked at the network scores of last night's game & did an evaluation, they'd realize something is very wrong with their "target group" strategy (not that anyone will).

But for argument's sake, I'll present what happened in our bar last night.

We all know buzztime is chasing the 21 year old market, a market that is difficult (at best) and impossible (at worst) to grasp their attention. But for argument's sake let's say that these 15 minute games are catching some of them and getting to play for 5 minutes.

At our bar last night, the jukebox was fully loaded all night and not one person in the entire bar played a post-2000 song.

That is not until 11pm, when the young kids came in, took over, and started playing current / 2013 songs.

So for argument's sake, *maybe* buzztime starting these 15 min games after 10pm is the right time to throw the bait to them. (Not that any of them bothered to pick up a board to play).

The Topix game was all 2013 questions, and it aired at...7:30pm. So they crafted a game for the 11pm crowd and aired it at 7:30. Brilliant.

At one time way back in the day on the East coast, Topix actually did air at 11pm on Friday nights.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:57 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

It may not be a matter of chasing a demographic.
Construction of two new games every week that are actually good is time consuming. The writers are simply putting in as little time as possible to create them because, I suspect, all of the cutbacks have folks out there pulling double duty. Who's got time to put together a good trivia game when they also have to decide what shade of yellow background really brings out the subtle nuances of various Katy Perry questions on the new tablets?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I was listening to satellite radio yesterday, and at least 12 songs were from the game Friday. They took the playlist from Today's hits station and wrote 15 questions. Lazy just fucking lazy!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
It may not be a matter of chasing a demographic.
Construction of two new games every week that are actually good is time consuming. The writers are simply putting in as little time as possible to create them because, I suspect, all of the cutbacks have folks out there pulling double duty. Who's got time to put together a good trivia game when they also have to decide what shade of yellow background really brings out the subtle nuances of various Katy Perry questions on the new tablets?

I agree to some extent, but IIRC, I think about 5-6 of the questions were lyrics questions. Those are "tougher" questions to write than "this song is by _______" or "Pink sings which of these song titles?" (Mind you, as Lewser says, it's not much more difficult than just flipping on the radio and writing down what lyrics just came across the airwaves. But it still takes a lil more work than just pulling a song or artist off the current chart).

My guess is BWW headquarters really wants 2013 questions. There seemed to be more than a handful of them in the Late Shift games last night. (I didn't stick around very long last night to see if that pattern continued).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

8/1 On Safari:

I doubt our 12.6 was really number 1 on the east. :mrgreen: I'll take it until I see otherwise tomorrow. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Finally a good content Topix game as they had at least one question from every decade in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s.

The only bad question was Kelly Clarkson's pop hit from 2004. Technically you can count her as a country artist since she's had a few minor solo hits (peaking just inside the top 30 each time), along with the two big duets she's had at the format. But buzztime should've chose something from that catalog instead of reaching into her top 40 catalog.

But other than that goof, it was actually the best written Topix game they've had on a Friday in quite some time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Finally a good content Topix game as they had at least one question from every decade in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s.

The only bad question was Kelly Clarkson's pop hit from 2004. Technically you can count her as a country artist since she's had a few minor solo hits (peaking just inside the top 30 each time), along with the two big duets she's had at the format. But buzztime should've chose something from that catalog instead of reaching into her top 40 catalog.

But other than that goof, it was actually the best written Topix game they've had on a Friday in quite some time.

They should've had the question about her duet with Reba on her pop hit "Because Of You" instead of "Since U Been Gone".

BTW Great Job to clark on his top score.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: August Topix--August 16 "Fantasy Films"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:05 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Although I feel very much like Charlie Brown wondering if this time Lucy actually will keep holding the football, COOGS ad I are going to make a special trip out. If it turn out to be Fantasy Films 2013 and those coming in 2014, at least we'll have seen the latest "Percy Jackson."

Brooke/AARDVK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

poman wrote:
Aug 30 - Ethan Hawke 2013 News

:lol:

The current film of his "Getaway" is my odds on favorite to get Razzie nods.

Co-Home Bar: Buffalo Wild Wings Edwardsville, IL and Time Out in St Louis, MO