Dec 20 - Holiday TV and Movies
    Dec 26 - Department Stores
    Dec 27 - Classic Sitcoms

Trendalicious themes for thiss month include:
    Dec 6 - 2013 Music
    Dec 13 - 2013 Trends
    Dec 20 - 2013 Shockers
    Dec 27 - 2013 News

Only one or two themes interest me, including San Diego and maybe 2013 News.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: December 2013 Topix
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:55 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Sunny SD was a lot of fun. Butchered one question for a 14K score

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:08 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:

You guys did well, and frankly I thought you would. You also did real well on Six.

I inexcusably messed up the Balboa Park question, and had several 700 to 800-pointers to finish with a solo of 13,335. (I played as a guest. In a packed bar where every TV screen but one was devoted to sports, I got stuck with a screen so dim I wasn't sure I'd be able to play. Not one of my more enjoyable evenings.)

The Topix game itself was excellent though. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:49 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

zog741 wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

You guys did well, and frankly I thought you would. You also did real well on Six.

I inexcusably messed up the Balboa Park question, and had several 700 to 800-pointers to finish with a solo of 13,335. (I played as a guest. In a packed bar where every TV screen but one was devoted to sports, I got stuck with a screen so dim I wasn't sure I'd be able to play. Not one of my more enjoyable evenings.)

-- RWM

The only question we butchered was the Presidio question as we stayed away from it thinking of SF. Hindsight that was the only possible answer....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

There actually was one question that I mostly missed, scoring about 200. I think it came right after the Coronado Hotel question, so it was early in the game. One of the options in this following question was "hotel" which I selected as a plausible choice although it would have meant two questions in a row about hotels, which didn't happen.

Actually got the Presidio question for 1000, but was relieved that it was the right answer.

-- RWM

Last edited by zog741 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:02 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Might play holiday music tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:04 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

Dec 13 - 2013 Trends

Less sports trivia games / questions ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:02 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

tchoiniere wrote:
zog741 wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:

-- RWM

The only question we butchered was the Presidio question as we stayed away from it thinking of SF. Hindsight that was the only possible answer....
And our one death question was the color of the damn trolleys. The one time I was in SD, I used a rented car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Centenarian

Look I know this isn't the sort of thing some people approve of but if I was on the west feed I would want to know before I made a trip out to play topix if I didn't regularly. I only play a topix game if I really love it and think I will do well. Holiday Music is a huge waste of time. It's all recent original holiday music by recent artists. The oldest question is about 2008. A LOT of 2012 & 2013. I love classic Chriatmas music and my family plays Christmas trivia every year on Christmas Eve so I thought it would be fun to play some Christmas music trivia but it wasn't the classics like "White Christmas" or "Frosty the Snowman" it sucked and I think it was one of the worst trivia games I've ever played.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:19 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

googie wrote:
Look I know this isn't the sort of thing some people approve of but if I was on the west feed I would want to know before I made a trip out to play topix if I didn't regularly. I only play a topix game if I really love it and think I will do well. Holiday Music is a huge waste of time. It's all recent original holiday music by recent artists. The oldest question is about 2008. A LOT of 2012 & 2013. I love classic Chriatmas music and my family plays Christmas trivia every year on Christmas Eve so I thought it would be fun to play some Christmas music trivia but it wasn't the classics like "White Christmas" or "Frosty the Snowman" it sucked and I think it was one of the worst trivia games I've ever played.

I had a feeling it was going to be like that. I somehow got a 9700 and that was from a lot of guessing.

Last edited by Nomar on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

googie wrote:
Eve so I thought it would be fun to play some Christmas music trivia but it wasn't the classics like "White Christmas" or "Frosty the Snowman" it sucked and I think it was one of the worst trivia games I've ever played.

JOHNNY, WWW and I started this game at Demori's. It was so bad that we quit after the first round. I can't remember ever doing that before.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:07 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

JohnL wrote:
googie wrote:
Eve so I thought it would be fun to play some Christmas music trivia but it wasn't the classics like "White Christmas" or "Frosty the Snowman" it sucked and I think it was one of the worst trivia games I've ever played.

JOHNNY, WWW and I started this game at Demori's. It was so bad that we quit after the first round. I can't remember ever doing that before.

It sucked bad! The earliest question came from 2008!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:08 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Nomar wrote:
googie wrote:

I had a feeling it was going like that. I somehow got a 9700 and that was from a lot of guessing.

Somehow I finished in 21st with all guesses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:25 pm 
Himself Fodder

BGTUNA wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anybody actually believe the individual rankings shown at the end of the game?

Sounds like a truly shitty game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

googie wrote:

Topix has been trending current for a long long time now. Probably for at least the last two years, if not longer. If you're a buzztime regular, you have to expect that every time you play this game. Do we like it? Of course not. But more often than not, it's a current game. Anyone expecting otherwise is playing the role of Charlie Brown, trying to kick Lucy's football

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:55 pm 
Centenarian

Quote:
Topix has been trending current for a long long time now. Probably for at least the last two years, if not longer. If you're a buzztime regular, you have to expect that every time you play this game. Do we like it? Of course not. But more often than not, it's a current game. Anyone expecting otherwise is playing the role of Charlie Brown, trying to kick Lucy's football

I guess just call me Chuck. If I see another Topix I like I probably will try again at that football. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:15 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anybody actually believe the individual rankings shown at the end of the game?

Between the posts and our experience playing, I certainly believed it. Though my jaw did drop a bit when I saw that my luckily-guessed barely-5-figure score would show on the board in I think the Top 10.

My rule of thumb that worked twice was that when a big name was a wrong answer for a question and it came up a second time, hit it again. Applied to both Faith Hill and Lady Antebellum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:32 pm 
Himself Fodder

kaufman wrote:
-BO- wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

Between the posts and our experience playing, I certainly believed it. Though my jaw did drop a bit when I saw that my luckily-guessed barely-5-figure score would show on the board in I think the Top 10.

OK, first ask yourself what being ranked 21st means as far as the end of game rankings. It means that it was just short of making the top 20 board, so players in 20 locations had higher scores. But do you really think only one player at each location had a higher score? So chances are if you don't crack the national board you're probably at least 75th or so.

Regulars should know that BT's algorithm for individual rankings is terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:19 am 
Dodecaposter

Awful game. Awful. Awful. Awful. Now I'm going to go listen to the "2013 holiday album by [fill in the blank]".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:35 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

poman wrote:
googie wrote:

agreed. this has been very disappointing. i've noticed this just the past year. i think i recall a holiday topix last year that was just like this one. what i have found just as odd is that trendalicious games have included older material that now will not appear in topix games. i would complain to buzztime, but what would be the point?

Last edited by IDJIT5500 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:36 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

kaufman wrote:
tchoiniere wrote:
zog741 wrote:
And our one death question was the color of the damn trolleys. The one time I was in SD, I used a rented car.

I have never taken the trolleys but have been held up too many damn times by the trolleys...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:47 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

OPIEE wrote:
Awful game. Awful. Awful. Awful. Now I'm going to go listen to the "2013 holiday album by [fill in the blank]".
JJ was also very interested in the topic, but I cautioned her that we'd probably have about 5 questions on newly released holiday albums. Only off by 10.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:29 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
BGTUNA wrote:

No, but my point is that, for once, I guessed well. I had no idea who most of these bands/artists were, let alone that they had released Christmas albums.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:09 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The second best thing about the Holiday TV and Movie game was we were mentally steeled for it after last Friday's dreckfest, and Buzztime didn't disappoint.

(The best thing was that my wife claims an insight into how Lifetime/Hallmark title their schlock films, and she was able to ride that to some educated guessing all the way to the Gold.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

kaufman wrote:
The second best thing about the Holiday TV and Movie game was we were mentally steeled for it after last Friday's dreckfest, and Buzztime didn't disappoint.

(The best thing was that my wife claims an insight into how Lifetime/Hallmark title their schlock films, and she was able to ride that to some educated guessing all the way to the Gold.)

Schlock!
I don't think I appreciate the implication that such fine cinematic fare as Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy or Human Trafficking doesn't stand on its own as piercing character study.