New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: SOCCER-THEMED TOPIX TRIVIA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:19 pm 
Centenarian

kaufman wrote:
...Then again, I come from a market whose WNBA team has hung numerous banners in the rafters of its arena for "Attendance Champions".

I'm a WNBA fan (and probably the only one willing to admit that on this message board). You are referring to the Washington Mystics and their old and longtime boast that they held the highest attendance figures in the league, even if they padded up the numbers by including seats that were sold even if the person doesn't show up. IIRC, the team owners brought down the banners because it was lame, meaningless, and a poor substitute for the fact that the Mystics have not anything to brag about in all their years of existence since the late-1990's. :roll:

This is why some WNBA fans of other teams have referred the Mystics, as the "Mystakes". :P

From...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/100301_lamest_team_banners

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

SEKA wrote:
kaufman wrote:
...Then again, I come from a market whose WNBA team has hung numerous banners in the rafters of its arena for "Attendance Champions".

I'm a WNBA fan (and probably the only one willing to admit that on this message board). You are referring to the Washington Mystics and their old and longtime boast that they held the highest attendance figures in the league, even if they padded up the numbers by including seats that were sold even if the person doesn't show up. IIRC, the team owners brought down the banners because it was lame, meaningless, and a poor substitute for the fact that the Mystics have not anything to brag about in all their years of existence since the late-1990's. :roll:
Awww, come on; you're being a bit hard on them. They have made the playoffs a couple times recently. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
kaufman wrote:

Then again, I come from a market whose WNBA team has hung numerous banners in the rafters of its arena for "Attendance Champions".

Oh sure... your post just HAD to be right here where I was taking a drink... "Tanks fer nuttin'"

Back on topic:

The only way I could see this soccer game being truly great is if everyone misses every question and it ends in a thousands-way (OK, OK, probably more like hundreds-way) scoreless draw.
"Just like the real big-leaguers, Jimmy." :mrgreen:

Then they could say that one of them thoroughly dominated the others during the scoreless draw.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

lewser wrote:
spotes wrote:
kaufman wrote:

Then again, I come from a market whose WNBA team has hung numerous banners in the rafters of its arena for "Attendance Champions".

Oh sure... your post just HAD to be right here where I was taking a drink... "Tanks fer nuttin'"

Back on topic:

The only way I could see this soccer game being truly great is if everyone misses every question and it ends in a thousands-way (OK, OK, probably more like hundreds-way) scoreless draw.
"Just like the real big-leaguers, Jimmy." :mrgreen:

Then they could say that one of them thoroughly dominated the others during the scoreless draw.
And then we get five extra questions, and if it's still all even, we go to penalty questions!

Not to mention yellow cards for faking carpal tunnel after a particularly tough question.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Great Topix game tonight. And the questions were not about futbol, they were about Brazil. Some of the questions, in no particular order:

Brazil's current population is just over __________
Dilma Rousseff is a well-known Brazilian ______
The official name of the country is the ________ ________ of Brazil
Manaus, Curitiba, and Recife are Brazilian ______

Based on this, I am cautiously looking forward to next week's Topix, World Cup Countries.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 pm 
U > 100 * 2

zog741 wrote:
Great Topix game tonight. And the questions were not about futbol, they were about Brazil. Some of the questions, in no particular order:

Brazil's current population is just over __________
Dilma Rousseff is a well-known Brazilian ______
The official name of the country is the ________ ________ of Brazil
Manaus, Curitiba, and Recife are Brazilian ______

Based on this, I am cautiously looking forward to next week's Topix, World Cup Countries.

-- RWM

And to make it even better is a Facebook post Buzztime made a few hours ago:

"To keep up with our Thursday night #Soccer #trivia, we’re bringing you a #Topix theme of anything #Brazil tonight! If you think you know Brazilian culture and happenings, get to a #Buzztime bar and don’t miss out! "

So to keep up with Thursday night soccer trivia, they provided a game that had nothing to do with soccer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:40 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

That game is still around? Does anybody even play it?? :shock:

-BO- wrote:
So the only place this question could have been seen (since it's new) is The Pulse. And since almost none of us play that stupid game, I wonder if anybody here actually saw this question in the game or two.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

UCFHCY wrote:
-BO- wrote:
So the only place this question could have been seen (since it's new) is The Pulse. And since almost none of us play that stupid game, I wonder if anybody here actually saw this question in the game or two.

FPULSE

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

UCFHCY wrote:

-BO- wrote:

Hardly anyone plays the stupid game and CVAVRA (congrats you are finally good at a game that the bigdogs refuse to play, kudos to you!!)runs smack on Facebook talking about how good his team is. If even a couple of the old groups went back he wouldn't win nearly as much. I haven't played the stupid game in almost a year, but the last 4 times I won twice, and finished 2nd and 4th...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 pm 
Himself Fodder

lewser wrote:
Hardly anyone plays the stupid game and CVAVRA (congrats you are finally good at a game that the bigdogs refuse to play, kudos to you!!)runs smack on Facebook talking about how good his team is. If even a couple of the old groups went back he wouldn't win nearly as much. I haven't played the stupid game in almost a year, but the last 4 times I won twice, and finished 2nd and 4th...

Played once with a group of three, finished 2nd. Yawn. Bragging about winning The Pulse is like bragging about winning a game on channel B against 20 players 18 of which are busy double-dipping.

Can't believe how few real players even attempt the game, watching SC once a day guarantees a top 5.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Not wanting to start anything and I don't play the Pulse, BUT:

As a Special Educaton teacher, research has shown that learning takes place to start with: easy repetition. Maybe some of the sports center stuff from Pulse will be good fodder for questions in 10-20 years.. I mean old sports trivia was that days headline at some point.

Side note: Did anyone from this site sign up for Sports Jeopardy?

OK. Let the insults begin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:
Not wanting to start anything and I don't play the Pulse, BUT:

As a Special Educaton teacher, research has shown that learning takes place to start with: easy repetition. Maybe some of the sports center stuff from Pulse will be good fodder for questions in 10-20 years.. I mean old sports trivia was that days headline at some point.

But there isn't a sports trivia game, so none of these questions will ever be needed in the future. Sure some will prove good questions in a few years, but most will not. Knowing that someone hit 3 HRs last week will be worthless information in the future non existent sports trivia game.

I didn't try for Sports Jeopardy, it sounded interesting, but I didn't feel like wasting my time to not get called for another game show.

Last edited by lewser on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:

Not enough money at stake.

Quote:

You reek of fish guts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:22 pm 
U > 100 * 2

tiefly wrote:

Filled out the form online, which consisted of next to nothing (name, email, preferred audition location), and did not hear anything, so apparently I was not what they are looking for...

-BO- wrote:
Not enough money at stake.

I know, right?! Like poor Brian, who only got $200 for his correct answer on question 17 in the top row on Friday's episode: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4542

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 pm 
Himself Fodder

Jethro wrote:
I know, right?! Like poor Brian, who only got $200 for his correct answer on question 17 in the top row on Friday's episode: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4542

Obviously $200 more than I would have gotten. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

So he's beating up on AAA-level competition and is King of the World?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lewser wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

UCFHCY wrote:

-BO- wrote:

I played it for a couple of months when it first started.
Unfortunately my dominant gene for lapsing into a coma when being exposed to pointlessly boring material started kicking in and I had to stop on the off chance that I might need to operate heavy machinery at the bar. Safety first, that's my motto.

Current events isn't trivia.
Trivia, like fine wine, should be properly aged so that it may be appreciated by true trivia connoisseurs.
The Pulse is grape juice doled out for the kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:

I don't know about "finally good at a game".
Walsh's Bar was regularly competitive in the old sports games.
They didn't win as often as a few other bars, but they had some merit at any rate.
Now, I do agree that bragging about The Pulse does feel somewhat lame.

"...and I French kiss"
"So? Everybody does that"
"But daddy says I'm the best at it."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:08 am 
Between Normal Sigmas. %!

tiefly wrote:

I did-I was invited to take the test in Culver City.
About 100 people showed up, we were taken to the Wheel of Fortune studio and shown some video information about the show. The tapings should take place in August and will be shown on Crackle sometime afterwards. The prize structures were also explained. Winner of each game would win $5000 and the top players would have a chance to play in a "championship" type game with higher value prizes.
The test consisted of questions displayed on the TV screen and the contestant writing the answers on paper. Fifty questions covering different areas - some were pretty tough.
I didn't make it - they said about 20% passed and would be on the show. The didn't give the answers and wouldn't tell anyone how many they missed. (They made a joke "You can tell people you just missed it by one...") They also said there would be more tests in other cities. (maybe some have already taken place)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

First of all, my apologies to Scaratings. But as impressive as this string of 13 off-topic posts is, I am going to snap that string... So sad. :P

This was a pretty good Topix game tonight. There were about five or six questions that were actually soccer-related, although the questions otherwise were more or less as I expected: about other aspects of the countries competing in this year's World Cup.

Some of the soccer-related questions included one that asked which country started playing soccer in South America, which country hosted two World Cups, which country's national team is called the Indomitable Lions, and at least one other (where Argentina was the answer.) Then there were non-soccer questions, such as which country does the Prime Meridian go through, which country has Corcovado National Park, which food is part of South Korean cuisine...

It was a tough game, based on the scores. The 20th bar average was less than 8000. I don't recall what the top individual score was (12-13K I think). My score (I played as KAOS) was around 11.7K, and that was a solo score. Better than I thought I would do. :)

Again, I apologize for making an on-topic post. It will not happen again (tonight.) ;)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:14 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
First of all, my apologies to Scaratings. But as impressive as this string of 13 off-topic posts is, I am going to snap that string... So sad. :P

This was a pretty good Topix game tonight. There were about five or six questions that were actually soccer-related, although the questions otherwise were more or less as I expected: about other aspects of the countries competing in this year's World Cup.

Some of the soccer-related questions included one that asked which country started playing soccer in South America, which country hosted two World Cups, which country's national team is called the Indomitable Lions, and at least one other (where Argentina was the answer.) Then there were non-soccer questions, such as which country does the Prime Meridian go through, which country has Corcovado National Park, which food is part of South Korean cuisine...

It was a tough game, based on the scores. The 20th bar average was less than 8000. I don't recall what the top individual score was (12-13K I think). My score (I played as KAOS) was around 11.7K, and that was a solo score. Better than I thought I would do. :)

Again, I apologize for making an on-topic post. It will not happen again (tonight.) ;)

-- RWM
Then again, the game title told us exactly what to expect, and it did not disappoint. A wide range of national potpourri in the PASSPORT tradition, and as a result, a hard game that couldn't be studied for. A couple of the questions could be educated-guessed linguistically, and I thought it would have been more fun to ask which WC country does the Prime Meridian NOT pass through (Algeria, France, Ghana, NIGERIA, Spain).

So after two mainly non-soccer weeks, the final two of this run should be fully soccer-related. Unless Buzztime rekindles their fascination with mascots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

With one nitpicking exception, another good Topix game tonight. My only nitpick was that one of the questions asked for the stage name of David Beckham's wife. I guessed it for 900+ points, but I wouldn't classify it as a soccer question. The question of those 15 that I want back is the "Green Eagles" question. While I didn't know the answer offhand, I guessed it was an African country, and went with Cameroon. But that was stupid as their team is known as the Indomitable Lions. The answer proved to be Nigeria, which didn't appear to match the final clue. In spite of that, I did well enough to make the network scoreboard for the second Thursday in a row.

Some of the other questions asked:

Where will the women's World Cup be held in 2015?
How many soccer clubs are in the German soccer league system?
Ajax is a soccer club from which country?
Which country plays its soccer at an altitude of 12,000 feet?
Who was selected the greatest woman soccer player of all time?
What is the rectangular area in front of the goal known as (the ________ area.)
What year is the first one for Major League Soccer?
New York's MLS team is named for which beverage?
What team won the 2013 MLS championship?

Next week is the 2014 World Cup Review, and I will play that one as well. :)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Knew the AJAX q. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

So what kind of beverage is Metrostar?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:51 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

kaufman wrote:
So what kind of beverage is Metrostar?

The MetroStars were renamed as the Red Bulls in 2006 when they were purchased by Red Bull GmbH, the Austrian company that sells the drink.

-- RWM