March 13: Disney Movies
    March 20: HBO
    March 27: Mafia Movies

Trendalicious:
    March 6: Party Movies
    March 13: Party Music
    March 20: Party Destinations
    March 27: Party Schools

Second edit made on 3/03/'15 should complete listings.

-- RWM

Post subject: Re: March 2015 Topix & Trendalicious
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:10 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

How often does Topix screw you over by being misnamed on the website? I saw the category Disney Movies and was aware of it for a while before that game came up. I had just missed a top 100 in the Topix from the night before for stupidly putting Beethoven instead of Mozart despite knowing that, and was looking for my next Topix strike that could land me a decent score. I figured okay let's just go out for this one game, I was a kid once who knows... maybe I can just coast to ~10k or something. So we set out to play just that game, get some appetizers, etc. and leave as soon as the game was over because the games following it are anathema to me.

Well I get to the front doors of the BWW and there are some people in the vestibule. So to be polite I hold the door open for them because I thought they were coming out. They indicated to me that they weren't leaving and told me to have fun. Confused, I open the second set of doors to the 20 or so people waiting to be seated.

Given a wait time of 25-30 minutes a bit before the game started, I was thrown off, but hell, I am committed to the cause! So I got some playmakers and we stood along the wall, often in the way of employees trying to pass us. Not that big of a deal; an easy Topix is to be had! Then the Topix category was about to be revealed. I smiled. Recent Disney Movies. I got sad.

I mean I figured that a Disney Movie category might touch upon the newer stuff for a few questions, don't get me wrong. But I was under the impression it would cover the whole gamut and my childhood could save my rear. It turns out your childhood could win you this game. If you are like ten years old? Faced with questions on a boatload of movies I had never seen, we booked it after the first round. Such a shame.

Does this happen a lot? If a category is Space, should I brush up on Space Operas just in case? Genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:56 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
How often does Topix screw you over by being misnamed on the website? I saw the category Disney Movies and was aware of it for a while before that game came up. I had just missed a top 100 in the Topix from the night before for stupidly putting Beethoven instead of Mozart despite knowing that, and was looking for my next Topix strike that could land me a decent score. I figured okay let's just go out for this one game, I was a kid once who knows... maybe I can just coast to ~10k or something. So we set out to play just that game, get some appetizers, etc. and leave as soon as the game was over because the games following it are anathema to me.

Well I get to the front doors of the BWW and there are some people in the vestibule. So to be polite I hold the door open for them because I thought they were coming out. They indicated to me that they weren't leaving and told me to have fun. Confused, I open the second set of doors to the 20 or so people waiting to be seated.

Given a wait time of 25-30 minutes a bit before the game started, I was thrown off, but hell, I am committed to the cause! So I got some playmakers and we stood along the wall, often in the way of employees trying to pass us. Not that big of a deal; an easy Topix is to be had! Then the Topix category was about to be revealed. I smiled. Recent Disney Movies. I got sad.

I mean I figured that a Disney Movie category might touch upon the newer stuff for a few questions, don't get me wrong. But I was under the impression it would cover the whole gamut and my childhood could save my rear. It turns out your childhood could win you this game. If you are like ten years old? Faced with questions on a boatload of movies I had never seen, we booked it after the first round. Such a shame.

Does this happen a lot? If a category is Space, should I brush up on Space Operas just in case? Genuinely curious.
Yup, many of these games seem to have been written by 14-year-olds with reverse Y2K bugs; to them nothing happened before the turn of the century. Similarly in that night's Trendalicious game ("party songs"), the only reference to anything prior to the 2000s was an allusion in a question that Carly Simon once had a #1 song. They probably think Pink Floyd is a hand puppet.

It also sucked that among the Frozens and (new) Cinderellas were a few questions about "films" that must have been straight-to-video, because I sure hadn't heard of them.

As for seating, at our BWW, you don't have to wait to be seated if you're going to the bar area. Is that not the case there?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:37 pm 
Cuboctahedral Faces

I agree with Kaufman. Usually the Friday Topix tend to be about recent popular culture. If there is a movie Topix (for instance) usually almost all the questions will be about movies released in the last few years or movies that haven't been released yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:47 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I don't know about that sort of system for the bar. Each time I go to this BWW they ask me which side I want. I looked around and the bar looked full that night as well, though.

Kaufman I was only there for the first round, but I know what you mean. There was a question on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Bel ... t_Treasure

We need a name for that sort of question, perhaps using the term Blue Pixie Dust. Maybe just Blue Dust questions? :p As for Trendalicious, I am not too surprised. On the site it is billed as "where current and clever collide!"

Kind of unrelated, I remember being annoyed at Tuned In last week or the week before. It essentially asked a movie question but tied it to TV by saying it was an actor on Cheers. The problem is that you still needed to treat it like a movie question because the answers were all Cheers actors. :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:32 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Just wanted to say that tonight's Topix was a challenge. I figured that "Transportation" was too broad a Topix to effectively research it, and there really was no way to study for most of the questions asked. A thumbs-up to BT! :D

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

What were a few of the questions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

The only one I can think of was probably one of the easiest questions of the game. "What was the first U.S. city to have a subway system?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:34 pm 
U > 100 * 2

zog741 wrote:
Just wanted to say that tonight's Topix was a challenge. I figured that "Transportation" was too broad a Topix to effectively research it, and there really was no way to study for most of the questions asked. A thumbs-up to BT! :D

-- RWM

I was stunned when it showed I was in the Top Ten for East last night, then this morning showig I was 8th. :shock: :shock:

Definitly a good game, knew twelve before answers were revealed.

Just wish I could remember all the questions, was watching two BB games and hockey.